Default Thinking about switching to DC. Advice?

So I've pretty much collected marvel just about my entire life until about two years ago. I've always been an x-men fan and a spider man fan but recently I just haven't been enjoying the books. I felt like I was wasting my money and the writers would drag on a story forever. I also don't like how marvel trys to get you to buy tons of books by branching out a book to 20 other titles (I realize DC does this one as well). For the past two years I've been pure image and have loved it. I would like to dabble in the DC universe to see how I like it but I don't know where to start. It seems since convergence is ending it would be a good jumping on point. Can anyone recommend where to start?

Always Rakzo

For the New 52, I would definitely recommend you to read Lemire/Sorrentino's run on Green Arrow which started with issue 17 from the current series and ended in the Futures End tie-in from last year.

Ben Percy and Patrick Zircher will continue with some of the mythos that Lemire created starting with issue 41 this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolein View Post
    So I've pretty much collected marvel just about my entire life until about two years ago. I've always been an x-men fan and a spider man fan but recently I just haven't been enjoying the books. I felt like I was wasting my money and the writers would drag on a story forever. I also don't like how marvel trys to get you to buy tons of books by branching out a book to 20 other titles (I realize DC does this one as well). For the past two years I've been pure image and have loved it. I would like to dabble in the DC universe to see how I like it but I don't know where to start. It seems since convergence is ending it would be a good jumping on point. Can anyone recommend where to start?
    DC released a ton of free original 8-page previews for their upcoming series that you can find here. That's probably your best bet at seeing what series you might want to jump in on. Personally, some continuing series that I would recommend include:

Grayson
    Batman
    Action Comics
    Catwoman
    Detective Comics
    Justice League 3001

And few new runs/series that sound very promising:

Green Arrow
    The Omega Men
    Superman
    Midnighter
    Robin: Son of Batman
    Earth 2: Society
    Black Canary

If you want to go back a few years, you can try out some of these earlier trades:

Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder (pre-New52)
    Green Lantern: Rebirth by Geoff Johns (pre-New52)
    Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka (pre-New52)
    Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls by Scott Snyder
    Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood by Brian Azzarello
    Green Arrow, Vol. 4: The Kill Machine by Jeff Lemire
    Red Lanterns, Vol. 4: Blood Brothers by Charles Soule
    Grayson, Vol. 1: Agents of Spyral by Tim Seeley and Tom King
    Batman: Detective Comics, Vol. 6: Icarus by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato
    Superman: Action Comics, Vol. 5: What Lies Beneath by Greg Pak
    Justice League 3000, Vol. 1: Yesterday Lives by Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis
    Last edited by joybeans; 06-02-2015 at 06:59 PM.

What did you enjoy most from Marvel? You said X-Men, but that doesn't really give me all that much to on. Best team book DC are putting our right now, though, at least in my opinion, is Justice League 3000, soon to be [i]Justice League 3001[/b].

I'm also glad to see you're already reading stuff from Image. Obviously you're more of a material guy than a brand guy, so I would say just sample a bunch of stuff that DC have to offer, stick with what you like, and dump what you don't. With the new slate coming up, I'm sure you'll find at least a couple of books that appeal to you.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

I would also recommend checking out the free previews DC put out.
    You can find them on Comixology and on CBR.

Also, as tomorrow begins the new DC directions, I would also keep an eye on the previews coming out each week the day before release.
    CBR just posted the previews for Midnighter, Omega Men and the others due tomorrow.

So that's 40 8-page preludes for almost all the titles (only Wonder Woman and JLA didn't get previews) and then the 5-page previews each week.
    So 13 pages of story to give you a taste of each one.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

The 40 free previews DC put out last month would be good place to sample most of their returning and new titles in order to see what you might like without having to spend a dime. CBR also gives previews each week for that weeks titles so you might want check those out as well.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Definitely check out the free previews that others have mentioned. In all honesty, the books I'd recommend are:

Action Comics

Batman

Batman/Superman

Superman/Wonder Woman

Justice League

Grayson (which may be the most enjoyable of DC's books at the moment)

And Robin: Son of Batman looks like it's got potential (although it hasn't started yet).

Incredible Member

Start with the critically acclaimed stuff, not just what's new.

Long Halloween
    All Star Superman
    Kingdom Come
    etc

Just google best dc stories

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Start with the critically acclaimed stuff, not just what's new.

Long Halloween
    All Star Superman
    Kingdom Come
    etc

Just google best dc stories
    Yeah, not sure why someone would point to current titles, even if they like the New 52. A new fan should dive into the best DC's rich history has to offer. And those are some great starting suggestions.

Grant Morrison

All-New Member

DC is losing some of their better talent to marvel (such as soule and lemire too i believe) and is for some reason still employing some really hacky marvel retreads. they seem to be very slowly adapting and adjusting to the modern comic taste climate as far as storytelling and art but they aren't there yet. maybe check in in two years and they'll have their act totally together. but it's probably going to be a frustrating ride for a while more. i say this as a DC fan. i'd also agree with previous comments to explore older DC work although again, that tells you what you need to know about the current situation.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I personally can't recommend GRAYSON enough.

The Omega Men
    Midnighter
    Robin: Son of Batman
    Earth 2: Society
    Black Canary

IMO these will be gone within 12 months its really hard to get excited with any new series from the Big 2 these days [unless it has Batman or Superman in the case of DC] guess i've turned into a cynical old man but does anyone else share my opinion