Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And Azzarello doesn't?

And I don't care about his mark of excellence. That doesn't mean everyone should automatically love what he makes or consider it above criticism.
    He certainly doesn't have them by the truckload.

That is true. But neither does high sales serve to indicate actual quality, only that it appeals to the masses.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    He certainly doesn't have them by the truckload.

That is true. But neither does high sales serve to indicate actual quality, only that it appeals to the masses.

Considering it's fans, not peers, who usually financially support the majority of a comic's sales, I'd say fans opinions carry much more weight than a pat of the back(aka Eisner Award) from one's peers.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Funny, because that's the exact same feeling I have about Johns.
    The difference is that Johns has a horde of people who think anything he writes is some form of the holy grail.

Oh and Azzarello has a mark of excellence from his peer's while Johns makes do with one from fans.
    How does one 'make do' with fan accolades?

I'm not advocating one writer over another, but Azzarello received one award in his career - an Eisner (which rocks). But he got it 14 years ago and nothing from either fans or peers since.

Geoff Johns has received 6 awards between 2005 and 2010, where the nominees are determined (I'm pretty sure) by peers/industry pros and then voted on by fans.

So the industry people picked Geoff out of the crowd then he was voted on by fans and won 6 times.

I don't see that as a negative in Johns' column.

I know how to play the violin well.

To me it's not really funny, it's a sarcastic take on what will most likely happen, because they know it's what Johns does.

Well, you had 3+ years of a Wonder Woman comic that you claimed to love. Don't you think it's fair that it's time some of us others got that chance if Geoff were to really do this?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Considering it's fans, not peers, who usually financially support the majority of a comic's sales, I'd say fans opinions carry much more weight than a pat of the back(aka Eisner Award) from one's peers.
    Pretty much this. I am sure DC comics is in the comic book field in order to make and maximize their profits. Going by what critics like only is going to definitely hurt DC's wallet book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

I'm not advocating one writer over another, but Azzarello received one award in his career - an Eisner (which rocks). But he got it 14 years ago and nothing from either fans or peers since.

Geoff Johns has received 6 awards between 2005 and 2010, where the nominees are determined (I'm pretty sure) by peers/industry pros and then voted on by fans.

So the industry people picked Geoff out of the crowd then he was voted on by fans and won 6 times.

Wow! I had no idea! Go Geoff!

BANNED

If your only goal is to put food on your table, sure.

If you are making art or anything meant to be taken seriously as a creative endeavor, no.

I means I dont really care if someone receives an MTV-type of award when there are higher goals to reach.

While true, even one shows he's atleast at one time or another had the creative spark to get him the recognition. Look at it this way:
    He is still being heralded as an Eisner award winner, Johns on the other hand is still mostly introduced as 'fan favorite'.

By Spike TV, Wizard Mag and Fanboy Project? Eh... I don't think creators have any involvement with those tbh.

No, fan-sites marked him out for those... they even gave him one for Brightest Day which was a pile of guano next to the flimsy Blackest Night which also got him one.

Like I've said above, if your goal is just to put food on your table, thats fine. But not good enough if your aim is higher.

Well, you had 3+ years of a Wonder Woman comic that you claimed to love. Don't you think it's fair that it's time some of us others got that chance if Geoff were to really do this?
    At the expense of something I love? actually no. And you have those 80 years before that to treasure plus an ongoing digital in the same vein, so it's not like you are lacking anything.

Well so far as of Justice League 41, Diana is still God of War, the daughter of Zeus, and Grail mentions god mode. So it looks like Johns didn't "wipe-out" what Azz and Chiang established.

Since DC's is letting writers tell their stories, regardless of continuity, I wouldn't be surprised if Johns does change some things. I mean this is comics after all.

If your only goal is to put food on your table, sure.

If you are making art or anything meant to be taken seriously as a creative endeavor, no.

I means I dont really care if someone receives an MTV-type of award when there are higher goals to reach.

While true, even one shows he's atleast at one time or another had the creative spark to get him the recognition. Look at it this way:
    He is still being heralded as an Eisner award winner, Johns on the other hand is still mostly introduced as 'fan favorite'.

By Spike TV, Wizard Mag and Fanboy Project? Eh... I don't think creators have any involvement with those tbh.

No, fan-sites marked him out for those... they even gave him one for Brightest Day which was a pile of guano next to the flimsy Blackest Night which also got him one.

Like I've said above, if your goal is just to put food on your table, thats fine. But not good enough if your aim is higher.

At the expense of something I love? actually no. And you have those 80 years before that to treasure plus an ongoing digital in the same vein, so it's not like you are lacking anything.

I did not love every run from the previous 80 years nor have I loved or even read every arc of Sensation Comics as the creators change with every arc. The last run that i loved was Heinberg's which was almost a decade ago. Simone's run was hit or miss although never as horrible as Azzarello or even JMS' lackluster run.

Quote Originally Posted by theOVOXO View Post
    Well so far as of Justice League 41, Diana is still God of War, the daughter of Zeus, and Grail mentions god mode. So it looks like Johns didn't "wipe-out" what Azz and Chiang established.

Since DC's is letting writers tell their stories, regardless of continuity, I wouldn't be surprised if Johns does change some things. I mean this is comics after all.
    Exactly. The Outhousers isn't even "translating" Johns' quote properly but it's funny how fans will believe what they want. Nothing he said in those quotes was about erasing Azzarello's run. Wonder Woman in Justice League 41 makes it even more obvious that's not the case.

It's clickbait.
    Last edited by Mad Love; 06-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Love View Post
    Exactly. The Outhousers isn't even "translating" Johns' quote properly but it's funny how fans will believe what they want. Nothing he said in those quotes was about erasing Azzarello's run. Wonder Woman in Justice League 41 makes it even more obvious that's not the case.

It's clickbait.
    So, you guys completely missed the bit about it being a fake, Onion-esque article, huh?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.p...kseid-war.html

While I'm sure The Outhousers are just being satirical again, I know that there are some of us here that would love if it this turned out to be true.
    If only DC YOU could CONVOLUGENCE the Azzarello/Chiang era, then I'd be ecstatic. We still don't know why Diana wound up in London or how she actually became Wonder Woman. But we sure know a lot about that damned First Born. Blecch...

Of course he didn't....

Some readers are just counting the days until someone does. Hard to tell if that ever happens or not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    So, you guys completely missed the bit about it being a fake, Onion-esque article, huh?
    Thing is that the Outhouse article mentions another one from EW, if you read that one, you could get the impression that a mini-reboot is indeed on the table as Johns mentions DSW is something thats going to go into the past and discover things we haven't seen before.

It's correct that outright wiping Azzarellos run out is highly unlikely, but it is not unlike Johns to take something like it and mold it to fit his story. Like revealing some previously unknown connection between the Amazons, Olympians and the Fourth World. Maybe Grail caught Ares' eye before Diana did? Maybe other parts of Olympus is moving around in the shadows trying to undo both Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor?

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Was someone here actually delusional enough to trust that article? Azzarello is DC's top talent, of course they wouldn't outright retcon his work in one of the biggest DC books ad drive him away from DC. Like please, think at least for a second before giving in to the false mary sue.