Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    At the expense of something I love? actually no. And you have those 80 years before that to treasure plus an ongoing digital in the same vein, so it's not like you are lacking anything.
    Comic book reading aside, we will also get the "Zeus father" origin for the cinematic Wonder Woman apparently. So that three-year run actually will affect the version that reaches millions of people beyond what the 75 year long history of the comic will.

In my opinion, changing her parentage was merely a cosmetic change to differentiate his run from other writers', (something nearly every writer of every comic character has done, nothing groundbreaking there). It wasn't a real plot point in the story (aside from making Hera jealous, a story which mythology has already done a fine job of telling). Diana already had a "family" of gods since those were always her cast of characters; it was always natural for Diana among the DC heroes to have dealings with Greek mythological beings.

I enjoyed Azzarello's run for a few moments where Diana's characterization shined through. I think he "got" her personality. I *hated* the way he wrote the amazons, and I don't know if that was editorially mandated or not. Wonder Woman just doesn't make sense as a character if she springs forth from a "Paradise Island" with a brutal society that takes advantage of men. She is supposed to counteract brutality! The amazons are supposed to show an example of how humanity (not JUST women) can achieve greatness with the absence of war.

I wouldn't have minded the change to her parentage had it been more relevant to the story. As we all know, it was a major bone of contention, removing the one thing about Wonder Woman that made her unique amongst all super heroes-- the fact that she originated and gained her power from a feminine source. But hey, it sold a lot of comics so it must be right. Never mind that in the 1940's she was selling millions...

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFalcon182 View Post
    Was someone here actually delusional enough to trust that article? Azzarello is DC's top talent, of course they wouldn't outright retcon his work in one of the biggest DC books ad drive him away from DC. Like please, think at least for a second before giving in to the false mary sue.

What makes you classify Azzarello as DC's top talent? Granted, it seems he's good friends with Dan Didio but in looking at the sales of his recent books Wonder Woman, Future's End, Watchmen..........none of them have sold above average for at least 6 months in a row.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

With the reveal in the latest Justice League that Diana was the ONLY child growing up on Paradise Island, Johns does seem to be actively contradicting what Azzarello wrote.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I think a lot of you are bringing out the violins a bit prematurely. I would say the most that Johns would do to retcon Wonder Woman, would be to stream line the origin and remove the piracy (which barley anyone cares for). Her status as God of war and the cast of gods are way to profitable to be removed. And unless someone has a specific story for Diana in which it would need to be removed, or its changed before her solo movie, this will be the Wonder Woman for decades.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    What makes you classify Azzarello as DC's top talent?
    Thinking......... "Top Talent" may be "Group Of Creators" as opposed to "One Dude At The Top".

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    And unless someone has a specific story for Diana in which it would need to be removed, or its changed before her solo movie, this will be the Wonder Woman for decades.
    = ruined. What crime against good stories/characters....

BANNED

This is called Story over Continuity, having Diana say "i was the only child born on island" automatically makes Grail more interesting. Geoff have said that Wonder woman doesn't know about Grail but she will soon learn about her.

Spectacular Member

I don't know if what's being said is true?? But I for one hope it is true !! What Azz's did to WW should be a crime!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Thinking......... "Top Talent" may be "Group Of Creators" as opposed to "One Dude At The Top".
    Regarding sales. While 100bullets sold 10-15k/month in floppies, the trades have sold enough for deluxe editions and reprints. While a tv adaption probably will stay in dev. hell for some time, Idris Elba among others have expressed great interest in it. Joker, Luthor and Superman: For tomorrow have gotten Absolute ed.s.

Him co-writing DK3 together with Frank Miller is certainly because Brian's talent. It's not because he suggest painting the batcave yellow to Miller for his Allstar Robin and some DiDio-nepotism :P
    Last edited by borntohula; 06-07-2015 at 02:57 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Regarding sales. While 100bullets sold 10-15k/month in floppies, the trades have sold enough for deluxe editions and reprints. While a tv adaption probably will stay in dev. hell for some time, Idris Elba among others have expressed great interest in it. Joker, Luthor and Superman: For tomorrow have gotten Absolute ed.s.

Him co-writing DK3 together with Frank Miller is certainly because Brian's talent. It's not because he suggest painting the batcave yellow to Miller for his Allstar Robin and some DiDio-nepotism :P
    Some of Azzarello's Wonder Woman issues are still selling in top 60 on comixology. Wonder Woman annual is the only issue of finches which is in top 50, rest of their issues aren't even top 100.
    Last edited by Stone Cold; 06-07-2015 at 03:59 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    If your only goal is to put food on your table, sure.

If you are making art or anything meant to be taken seriously as a creative endeavor, no.

I means I dont really care if someone receives an MTV-type of award when there are higher goals to reach.

While true, even one shows he's atleast at one time or another had the creative spark to get him the recognition. Look at it this way:
    He is still being heralded as an Eisner award winner, Johns on the other hand is still mostly introduced as 'fan favorite'.

By Spike TV, Wizard Mag and Fanboy Project? Eh... I don't think creators have any involvement with those tbh.

No, fan-sites marked him out for those... they even gave him one for Brightest Day which was a pile of guano next to the flimsy Blackest Night which also got him one.

Like I've said above, if your goal is just to put food on your table, thats fine. But not good enough if your aim is higher.

At the expense of something I love? actually no. And you have those 80 years before that to treasure plus an ongoing digital in the same vein, so it's not like you are lacking anything.
    I have been dying for Geoff Johns to take over Wonder Woman for years if he does I will definitely buy Wonder Woman again.

The thing is I too felt Brian Azzarello was overrated as well as J Michael Straczynski. I prefer Johns more

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Is Johns really planning on retconning Azzerllo's Wondy? If so, how would that work with the Finches more or less continuing Azz's work?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Is Johns really planning on retconning Azzerllo's Wondy? If so, how would that work with the Finches more or less continuing Azz's work?

I think it's more about DC's new approach to continuity. Johns can omit the portions of Azzarello's run that don't work for his Wonder Woman in Justice League. That's simply a guess on my part though as the Finchs' run seems to be moving forward with no glitches in the continuity that Azz set up.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    No, the thread was a reaction to a post by the outhousers, a site that constantly is dc biased and will try spinning anything DC does in a bad light.

The DCU is all loose, flexible continuity now in some ways, so I'm okay with some broad strokes in changing continuity for new ideas they want to try. Comics have always had retcons, so it's not exactly something new, especially if it makes the current story more intriguing.

Best,

Scott