Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

best news i have heard ever.

BANNED

I hope that is not true, because I thought they would stay clear of changing her backstory or removing the Support cast. Choose one and stay with it. But Batman for one example stayed with one Story and cast and see where it got him^^

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    I hope that is not true, because I thought they would stay clear of changing her backstory or removing the Support cast. Choose one and stay with it. But Batman for one example stayed with one Story and cast and see where it got him^^
    The article is clearly satire--like an Onion article, not to be taken seriously.

So it didn't actually happen?

Doesn't matter to me. Azzarello's run is the only wonder woman run i actually cared to buy and as long as it's printed theres nothing anyone can do to erase it for me. Good luck though John's, he may have a good interpretation but i'm not a fan of his.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    So it didn't actually happen?
    There are a few things in Johns' current issues in JL that seem not to square easily with Azz's run--like Johns having Diana mention that she was the only child born in PI--but it looks to me like an example of DC's current loose approach to continuity (especially between different titles), and not at all like an effort to "wipe out" Azz and Chiang's run. Within Wonder Woman's solo book, the continuity established by Azz hasn't noticeably changed in major ways. (Some things have happened that went against the direction Azz seemed to be going--like the Amazons behaving badly again before resuming their reforms, or Hippolyta being clay again before dying--but I don't think any of those retroactively changed past events established in Azz and Chiang's run.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    If only DC YOU could CONVOLUGENCE the Azzarello/Chiang era, then I'd be ecstatic. We still don't know why Diana wound up in London or how she actually became Wonder Woman. But we sure know a lot about that damned First Born. Blecch...
    Talk about focussing on the LEAST important aspects and flaws.......

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Talk about focussing on the LEAST important aspects and flaws.......
    On the other hand, it speaks to the strength of the run.

Although Azzarello and Chiang's WW run easily put the title at the top of my must-buy list month after month (and year after year), I didn't particularly like a lot of the changes to the character, such as the elimination of her clay origin and the creation of male Amazons. And even if the Azz/Chiang take on WW and her mythos was pushed aside for something else, it wouldn't lessen my appreciation of it.
    Last edited by JLH; 07-18-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Well, I generally support DC's new (old) approach to continuity. Its what I've been saying for years; that the story being told now should trump whatever came before.

With Johns though, Im far less forgiving about this sort of thing. He's been playing this switch-up game for years and more often than not, its damaged the properties. And worse, he has the pull to make these changes stick, such as with Barry Allen's mother's death becoming a major part of his origin. I like the guy, I like most of his work (especially the stuff before his promotion) but I hate how he gets away with these changes. Sometimes it's worked, like with Green Lantern. But a lot of the time it doesnt.

That said, Darkseid War has been absolutely great thus far and the glitches in Diana's origin and Themyscria arent so significant they cant be easily ignored. He's done the same with Superman in this story; the Kryptonian rocket was never in the Kent's barn but we see it there anyway. These little details being off from "proper" continuity irk me, but that's mostly my issues with Johns' habit of changing and/or ignoring what he doesnt like. That just strikes me as lazy and disrespectful to his peers.

However, Azzarello's origin is being used in film and nothing in the comics seems to indicate they plan on changing it. So for good or ill, it appears to be the norm for the foreseeable future.

I would, however, be quite pleased to see Johns redeem the Amazons, since it appears the Finches wont. I have no interest in a history alteration (I detest reboots, especially for Diana as that's a major problem in her history), but at least keep on with the redemption arc Azzarello was so clearly putting in place. An Amazon people being lead to a better future by Diana holds a lot of appeal and its a shame that the Finches didnt see fit to roll with that, as was the obvious intention.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm honestly thinking a history alteration may be the only way. The Finches have made the Amazons to toxic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm honestly thinking a history alteration may be the only way. The Finches have made the Amazons to toxic.
    Wonder woman needs a retcon, not a reboot but a retcon. while I like Azzarello run it is far away from what wonder woman should and needs to be.
    Johns did some good modifications on WW's origins and amazons, saw that he was just hanging out with Phil Jimenez so WW is with good hands.
    We don't know her origins in the movie, it didn't aired yet. It is on production stage

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    Wonder woman needs a retcon, not a reboot but a retcon. while I like Azzarello run it is far away from what wonder woman should and needs to be.
    Johns did some good modifications on WW's origins and amazons, saw that he was just hanging out with Phil Jimenez so WW is with good hands.
    We don't know her origins in the movie, it didn't aired yet. It is on production stage
    I believe the producers have gone on record having said that Diana is the daughter of Zeus, actually. So that's probably gonna stick. Larger media will likely overlook the sex raids, and maybe tweak the Amazons some, which I think we'd all be thankful for. On that point, you're right we don't know yet what they'll do.

And changing the origin story wont make Diana anything. Writing Diana as what she *should* be will do that. Far too much emphasis is put on origin stories; if you write Diana like a compassionate, powerful, respectable leader and hero, she'll be what she should be. What the Amazons did or didnt do wont matter beyond providing plot fuel. And this wouldnt be the first time they've done terrible, stupid things and then come around, and we fans have proven that we're all too eager to ignore the unpleasant past or otherwise marginalize it. We dont actually need it to be "erased", as if saying something didnt happen in a fictional world would somehow make us forget reading it. All we actually need is good stories that either ignore, downplay, or twist the bad ideas that see publication. You take the Amazons, have them have a change of heart, and then pretend like all the bad stuff they've done is further in the past than it actually is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's a cheap and easy way out, so Im sure you're probably right.

But then, I dropped the Finches after the second or third issue. I have no idea whats happening in the book right now.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I believe the producers have gone on record having said that Diana is the daughter of Zeus, actually. So that's probably gonna stick. Larger media will likely overlook the sex raids, and maybe tweak the Amazons some, which I think we'd all be thankful for. On that point, you're right we don't know yet what they'll do.

And changing the origin story wont make Diana anything. Writing Diana as what she *should* be will do that. Far too much emphasis is put on origin stories; if you write Diana like a compassionate, powerful, respectable leader and hero, she'll be what she should be. What the Amazons did or didnt do wont matter beyond providing plot fuel. And this wouldnt be the first time they've done terrible, stupid things and then come around, and we fans have proven that we're all too eager to ignore the unpleasant past or otherwise marginalize it. We dont actually need it to be "erased", as if saying something didnt happen in a fictional world would somehow make us forget reading it. All we actually need is good stories that either ignore, downplay, or twist the bad ideas that see publication. You take the Amazons, have them have a change of heart, and then pretend like all the bad stuff they've done is further in the past than it actually is.
    Just because they've done bad things before doesn't make what the Finches have produced any more excusable. And even the they haven't done anything this awful with the exception of Amazon Attack.