Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Threads View Post
    Again, it wouldn't be in character for them to do that, and the summaries do say Peter and MJ face the perils of Battleworld TOGETHER

Again, why would Marvel give us a pro-marriage series, and then toss that aspect away after one issue? Or after the series is finished?

Brevroot also said if Marvel sees something working in sales, they will make more of it. RYV has done well in sales, that should inform them and we may see more of the same in future, even if it's another alternative option like Spider-Gwen etc.

Stop assuming the worst of this until the worst presents itself. This doom-cast projection is getting annoying.
    I guess a lot of MJ fans may be a little hesitant to get their hopes up because of how marvel has screwed up things with Peter and MJ in the past. While I can understand people not wanting to get their hopes up too much, like loose threads said we should not assume the worst until we see what happens after renew your vows and secret wars ends. It would be really dumb ( not to mention mind boggling ) for marvel to tease us with the marriage, only to do nothing with it when spiderman returns to the 616 universe. Let's keep buying renew your vows and writing in to marvel letting them know how we want Peter and MJ's marriage restored in the 616.

BANNED

Again, it wouldn't be in character for them to do that, and the summaries do say Peter and MJ face the perils of Battleworld TOGETHER

Again, why would Marvel give us a pro-marriage series, and then toss that aspect away after one issue? Or after the series is finished?
    Summaries always mislead. And this is a alternative spidey story not a canon plot with 616 peter. Peter comes first, not the marriage or Mary Jane, she's irrelevant to the grander scheme of Marvel Superheroics which is what Spider-Man is always going to focus on first and foremost.

Brevroot also said if Marvel sees something working in sales, they will make more of it. RYV has done well in sales, that should inform them and we may see more of the same in future, even if it's another alternative option like Spider-Gwen etc.

Stop assuming the worst of this until the worst presents itself. This doom-cast projection is getting annoying.
    And you believe him, status quo wise, wouldn't be a good marketing plan. Spidey needs to appeal to kids and teens younger than 16, marriage is not gonna factor in what RYV can benefit in sales. MJ is gonna be sidelined in the end because she's not a part of the heroic equation unlike Gwen is.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Summaries always mislead. And this is a alternative spidey story not a canon plot with 616 peter. Peter comes first, not the marriage or Mary Jane, she's irrelevant to the grander scheme of Marvel Superheroics which is what Spider-Man is always going to focus on first and foremost.

And you believe him, status quo wise, wouldn't be a good marketing plan. Spidey needs to appeal to kids and teens younger than 16, marriage is not gonna factor in what RYV can benefit in sales. MJ is gonna be sidelined in the end because she's not a part of the heroic equation unlike Gwen is.
    I have heard these arguments before but they simply do not hold weight, even kids like a married spiderman and it would not prevent them from reading the book. Lastly if all people care about is the way 616 spiderman is being written now, then why has the comic taken such a pounding in recent years since one more day ? Or better yet, why bring up the idea of a married spiderman at all, only to do nothing with it when Renew your vows ends it's run ? I believe marvel is considering bringing back the marriage if it looks like enough people want it, and believe me a lot of people out there( me included ) want to see spiderman with MJ again. If Marvel is smart this time, they will bring back the marriage and move forward with a more interesting and fun spiderman, rather than the same old stuff we have seen since one more day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor8607 View Post
    Lastly if all people care about is the way 616 spiderman is being written now, then why has the comic taken such a pounding in recent years since one more day ?
    The regular book wasn't even in the top ten for May overall

Mighty Member

1) I'll believe Marvel cares about things being in character when Sins Past is no longer canon. Actually probably not even then. They did publish Civil War #2, after all.
    2) Have you heard of Amazing Spider-Man family? It was a poorly marketed alternative put in an Anthology series after OMD. It featured essentially a continued status quo if you ignored all the Civil War/OMD stuff. And it was cancelled after like five issues. In short: they've done this before.
    3) Except for a short window during the JMS/JRJR run (and even that comes with caveats), Marvel under Quesada (as either EiC or CCO) has always made the wrong choice when it comes to Spider-Man. I see no reason to have faith in them when they have done nothing but do the wrong thing. You take the pessimistic option because that's the one that's going to happen, if I'm wrong, double yay. But I'm not wrong. Not with Slott writing this story.

Because of all the event stuff. The book fell off after OMD (even relative to other books) and languished in the 20s for Big Time, but Inferior and the relaunch have consistently been top ten books. This is part of the reason I am pessimistic about things.

As much as I love Gwen, she's not really part of that equation either. She makes a good bookend to that initial tale about bad things happening when you don't act (because bad things can happen when you DO act as well), but it's wholly unnecessary. My first Spider-Man was the 90s cartoon, and they skipped her entirely.

I don't think Mary Jane is as essential to the formula either, but I do think she's essential to 616 Spider-Man because that was his story and that's how his courting story reached its conclusion. Though if you do another version of him I have no issue with replacing her in that universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    It featured essentially a continued status quo if you ignored all the Civil War/OMD stuff. And it was cancelled after like five issues. In short: they've done this before.
    I'm aware of that magazine. I have a few of those stories in my collection and all the strips were later collected in a trade of Spider-Girl. They were good, but they were also very short...sticking it in an anthology magazine which also contained Brand New Day-era tales probably wasn't the wisest idea since some wanted to escape from those stories.

BANNED

There can only be so many books in the Top Ten, you know. And when you have a massive event like Secret Wars launching, it stands to reason that some titles would fall back a few notches. ASM could've sold just as much, if not more, as it usually does in May but Secret Wars, Star Wars and Convergence just sold more.

No matter how well RYV sells, though, I have a hard time believing the marriage will ever return for real.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    No matter how well RYV sells, though, I have a hard time believing the marriage will ever return for real.
    I'd be more certain of that when we're twenty years into this thing and not just a measly eight.

Or when the comic strip stops publishing marriage stories, which they've kept doing more or less consistently for the same eight years.

If Annie carries over, the legacy of the marriage will be a huge sticking point regardless if the mainstream Peter and MJ get back together or not.
    Last edited by Loose Threads; 06-14-2015 at 04:32 AM.

BANNED

I have heard these arguments before but they simply do not hold weight, even kids like a married spiderman and it would not prevent them from reading the book.
    What kids? You mean current kids who most likely like Ironman and ship Gwen x Peter? And yeah no kid I knowcares about Peter getting married or even kids seeing Peter married to a woman who is barely relevant in a story not about love drama. Lastly
    if all people care about is the way 616 spiderman is being written now, then why has the comic taken such a pounding in recent years since one more day ?
    Proof of your claims?
    Or better yet, why bring up the idea of a married spiderman at all, only to do nothing with it when Renew your vows ends it's run ? I believe marvel is considering bringing back the marriage if it looks like enough people want it, and believe me a lot of people out there( me included ) want to see spiderman with MJ again. If Marvel is smart this time, they will bring back the marriage and move forward with a more interesting and fun spiderman, rather than the same old stuff we have seen since one more day.
    Cuz it won't seriously, your overestimating how much Marvel cares to cater to a specific genre and couple just because, when all they care about is their product doing his foundational genre in action and adventure. They can't sell toys with a Peter x MJ wedding set. And speak for yourself, MJ is boring to me, he's had more fun with Kitty Pryde and Black Cat than Mary Jane IMO, MJ can't really relate to Peter as a person who wants to have fun as a superhero and a person. MJ was always about two things back then, Peter giving her attention and MJ wanting attention from him, yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

As much as I love Gwen, she's not really part of that equation either. She makes a good bookend to that initial tale about bad things happening when you don't act (because bad things can happen when you DO act as well), but it's wholly unnecessary. My first Spider-Man was the 90s cartoon, and they skipped her entirely.

I don't think Mary Jane is as essential to the formula either, but I do think she's essential to 616 Spider-Man because that was his story and that's how his courting story reached its conclusion. Though if you do another version of him I have no issue with replacing her in that universe.
    I'm actually talking about Spider Gwen though.

Peter doesn't have a established story in my eyes, he has a myth and a starting point and like every other Superhero story has a reusable plot that takes him anywhere to where ever his plot is depending on the adaptation and take. Him and MJ were a product of the 90s and just because it's the longest staple in amazing but didn't really define Peter's whole concept like his powers, his villians, and his struggles.

I'd be more certain of that when we're twenty years into this thing and not just a measly eight.

Or when the comic strip stops publishing marriage stories, which they've kept doing more or less consistently for the same eight years.

If Annie carries over, the legacy of the marriage will be a huge sticking point regardless if the mainstream Peter and MJ get back together or not.
    If that happens, she's gonna be out of stories where she and probably MJ will not stick around being frequent characters to Peter, Peter is still Spider-Man and still the main protagonist who moves the story to what it has always been, superheroism. I'm gonna say, she's gonna be a xmen/new avenger if she was born with powers and instead of being in MJ's life is gonna be a new setting where her powers are correlated to her character development and must be build up in time.

That's probably due more to the new comics that Spider-Man wasn't competing against a few months back (the rejuvenated Star Wars line, DC's weekly event, Secret Wars and tie-in #1s, with BRAVEST WARRIORS: TALES OF HOLO JOHN #1 in second place.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

how is annie legacy of marriage cause i don't see it?

What kids? You mean current kids who most likely like Ironman and ship Gwen x Peter? And yeah no kid I knowcares about Peter getting married or even kids seeing Peter married to a woman who is barely relevant in a story not about love drama. Lastly Proof of your claims? Cuz it won't seriously, your overestimating how much Marvel cares to cater to a specific genre and couple just because, when all they care about is their product doing his foundational genre in action and adventure. They can't sell toys with a Peter x MJ wedding set. And speak for yourself, MJ is boring to me, he's had more fun with Kitty Pryde and Black Cat than Mary Jane IMO, MJ can't really relate to Peter as a person who wants to have fun as a superhero and a person. MJ was always about two things back then, Peter giving her attention and MJ wanting attention from him, yawn.
    Oh yes, you would never be able to sell a married spiderman to kids...oh wait, when I was a kid he was married in the comics and it did not stop me or anyone else from buying the book, action figures ect. Sorry, but you are wrong on that assumption. Lastly, you are going the route of " the marriage is boring and MJ is boring, I want to see him with meaningless characters like Black cat, Kitty pryde ect. ", now those characters are the definition of boring. " yawn ". This is the same argument that some DC people make that superman and wonderwoman should get together just because they have powers. Those characters would never work with Peter Parker, the MJ relationship was a natural process that grew over time in the books and Peter was ( and always will ) have only one true love in his life, and that is Mary Jane Watson...end of story.

Oh yes, you would never be able to sell a married spiderman to kids...oh wait, when I was a kid he was married in the comics and it did not stop me or anyone else from buying the book, action figures ect. Sorry, but you are wrong on that assumption. Lastly, you are going the route of " the marriage is boring and MJ is boring, I want to see him with meaningless characters like Black cat, Kitty pryde ect. ", now those characters are the definition of boring. " yawn ". This is the same argument that some DC people make that superman and wonderwoman should get together just because they have powers. Those characters would never work with Peter Parker, the MJ relationship was a natural process that grew over time in the books and Peter was ( and always will ) have only one true love in his life, and that is Mary Jane Watson...end of story.
    i can agree that the trumpeting of marriage turning off kids from spiderman is being blown a little too loud. i don't think it would be a turn off necessarily, but it's debatable as an attraction. when we were kids, i can barely remember my friends and i ever discussing mj- we were just indifferent.

on the point of action figures- how well does mj tend to sell?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i can agree that the trumpeting of marriage turning off kids from spiderman is being blown a little too loud. i don't think it would be a turn off necessarily, but it's debatable as an attraction. when we were kids, i can barely remember my friends and i ever discussing mj- we were just indifferent.

on the point of action figures- how well does mj tend to sell?
    "Hey, man. You see how MJ was totally in Peter's corner at the tenants' association meeting concerning the distance the trash cans can be from the curb? Then she made him a nice dinner. Yo, you know how much I love dinner, right? My jam."

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    "Hey, man. You see how MJ was totally in Peter's corner at the tenants' association meeting concerning the distance the trash cans can be from the curb? Then she made him a nice dinner. Yo, you know how much I love dinner, right? My jam."
    pretty much every ten year old conversation ever.