Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1 Spoilers/Discussion

Wow, I really liked this. Maybe because the stakes were raised so high but also because the responsibility part of what makes Spider-Man so great was viewed in a different light. I reviewed it with a bunch of pictures here if anyone is interested.

Adam Kubert draws a pretty fantastic issue too, that feels like it belongs in the 90s. His detail on Venom in particularly is out of this world and the fight sequence between he and Spider-Man is incredibly well paced. The layouts in general are strong and his ability reminds you how good he and other artists who have been around for a bit now are at drawing many heroes on the page at once.

Onto spoilers!

spoilers:

The book opens with the happy family of Mary Jane, Peter and the baby just now being able to talk at the dinner table. Spidey is cleaning his web shooters and they are generally happy. Peter heads to the J.J. Mayors office to give some photos when Peter finds out heroes are disappearing. He heads to the Avengers mansion and finds out the entire X-Men and others are just flat out gone. Most of the Avengers are still there, including Namor and Moon Knight, and they find out the villain is at a tower in the city. Iron Man suggests Mary Jane and the baby move into the mansion and he would have to give up his secret identity. They are set to rush off when Hawkeye reports the prisoners of Rykers island escaped. Spidey instantly realizes Venom will be going straight for his family.

Spidey rushes to save them and finds Venom there with his family. He hits Venom so hard he breaks his hand. Mary Jane rushes off with the child and they jump onto a fire truck. Venom chases after her and she blares the horn at him shocking him. Spidey punches Venom into the burning building and when MJ tells him there is no one inside he pulls a support down and crushes Venom. It kills him.

Meanwhile the omega villain calling himself Regent is fighting the Avengers. He can steal powers and has the X-Men powers. He rips Hulks arm off!

Spidey escapes the burning building and looks up to the fight the Avengers were having. They are all gone.

Cut to a year or two later, Vulture snatches a purse and Peter does nothing. We then see he's teaching his daughter to look both ways before crossing the street. We then see a wider shot of the city and Regent has taken over. To be continued!
    end of spoilers

What'd you guys think?
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Spectacular Member

I think they exaggerated with the all situation :S

Before OMD Peter always had a way to balance both lives...

Now? It's one way or the other...

And if the Regent defeated every hero, Spidey doesn't have a chance...

I like the story but at the same time, I'm hating what they are making Peter do, just cause he has a family...

It's like the writers wanted to punch us in the stomach from hating OMD...

In 616 world, they would never had killed all heroes... So, this is only with the purpose of making the readers hate the fact that Peter has a family...

BANNED

I liked it. MJ was resourceful and quick-witted, and damn courageous. Peter will be haunted by Eddie's fate I feel if issue two is any indication.
    Felt Peter's decision to quit was a bit too abrupt...unless this was the first real instance of Annie being in danger while he was Spidey. Still, given the Avengers are all gone he probably figured it was wiser not to make a fuss.
    I did wonder where MJ was in the final page..perhaps she and Peter are on the rocks? (hence the title "Renew Your Vows"?), or maybe she's working? We'll have to see

Quote Originally Posted by NunoTaborda View Post

And if the Regent defeated every hero, Spidey doesn't have a chance...

I like the story but at the same time, I'm hating what they are making Peter do, just cause he has a family...

It's like the writers wanted to punch us in the stomach from hating OMD...

In 616 world, they would never had killed all heroes... So, this is only with the purpose of making the readers hate the fact that Peter has a family...

Given, if this is a Spider centric story what better way to get the focus on him than by killing all the heroes lol.

I really really liked it. It was good and it explored what it should explore.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Felt like one of those old "What If" issues considering how quickly all the other heroes bit the bullet.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Felt like one of those old "What If" issues considering how quickly all the other heroes bit the bullet.
    In a sense this whole event is "What If" I think. I kind of like it though, since we have no idea how all this will shake out makes the "What If" of it more meaningful.

In Secret Wars #3, Dr. Strange says that spoilers:
    the heroes of Earth-616 have been in stasis for 8 years. I think we can estimate that the time skip in this issue is more than just a year or two.
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Given, if this is a Spider centric story what better way to get the focus on him than by killing all the heroes lol.
    I know... But I think, this way, he can't really ever know how it would be if OMD never happened... I was hopping for something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    In a sense this whole event is "What If" I think. I kind of like it though, since we have no idea how all this will shake out makes the "What If" of it more meaningful.
    Seeing it that way... Then I really like this story... Eheheh

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    In Secret Wars #3, Dr. Strange says that spoilers:
    the heroes of Earth-616 have been in stasis for 8 years. I think we can estimate that the time skip in this issue is more than just a year or two.
    end of spoilers
    It can be Peter and MJ can be living in this world for the past 6 years when this story starts...

BANNED

Ha, this pales in comparison to the MC-2 Universe history, but it's a great start to the storyline none the less.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NunoTaborda View Post

Before OMD he didn't have a child.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    Before OMD he didn't have a child.
    And that's a reason for the writers to not let his balance his life?

That is what I'm talking about...

For the writers, having a wife and a child is a reason for not letting Spider-Man be the hero he was before OMD...

And after seeing every hero being killed by the Regent, there was nothing else that could be done also... So, he would also had died if he went with the avengers...

This Spidey is NOT the same Spidey that was on the raft in Secret Wars #3. Just like there are different versions of different characters scattered all around Battleworld, this Spiderman and the current 616 Spiderman are not one and the same.

Or am I wrong?
    Pull List
    Marvel - All Marvel.
    Image - Saga, Walking Dead

Creator and host of Informal Talks podcast at InformalTalks.com and on iTunes!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XFan View Post
    This Spidey is NOT the same Spidey that was on the raft in Secret Wars #3. Just like there are different versions of different characters scattered all around Battleworld, this Spiderman and the current 616 Spiderman are not one and the same.

Or am I wrong?
    You are correct. The 616 Spidey emerges from the life raft in SW #3. The Spidey in RYV is different, as are all other Battleworld versions.

Well that was grim.