Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Translation: Old men bitching cause things aren't exactly how they used to be when it was just their own little special club that played the original game.

Anything New Sucks!!!!!!!
    I hate to break this to you, but first person shooters AREN'T new.

Fallout 3 is also a failure at what it's trying to be, which doesn't do it any favors. If Bethesda wanted to make Elder Scrolls with guns, they didn't need to slap the Fallout name onto it...which is clearly what they wanted to do, because it's what they did.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Failure at what it is trying to do? You mean make them 10 times more money than the first Fallout games made for the company that used to own them?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-23-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Its Fallout. Deal with it. They have the dark humor and the lore all correct. Just because the view is different doesn't change what it is. Its as much Fallout as Metroid Prime is a Metroid.
    Life is but a dream

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I never played the first two games but I liked New Vegas more than Fallout 3. And from what I was told by fans, New Vegas captures the feel of the old games better.

BANNED

Failure at what it is trying to do? You mean make them 10 times more money than the first Fallout games made for the company that used to own them?
    Failure at what the game itself was trying to do, you know, beyond making money. I'm talking about the side of things that's important to the gamer, Bethesda making money isn't one of those things I can have fun with while trying to play one of their games. Like Fallout 3 is a FPS, but it's got such horrible shooting mechanics that it can't really be played as a FPS. VATS feels less like something they put there to try and be true to the original games, and more like a free hit mechanic that needed to be there because the realtime shooting is so terrible. And VATS is horribly broken. While it's amusing in a unintentionally funny way when your character teleports across a room to punch someone, VATS makes every combat encounter way too easy.

But yeah, the original games couldn't have been better. Everything new must be better. Turning a turn based RPG into a first person shooter was clearly the evolutionary path the series was always on. You liked choice and consequence of the original series? What if we dumbed that all down?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Its Fallout. Deal with it. They have the dark humor and the lore all correct. Just because the view is different doesn't change what it is. Its as much Fallout as Metroid Prime is a Metroid.
    It's not, and no they done. Anyone that thinks they've got the lore correct clearly hasn't ever played the original Fallout games at all, and anyone that thinks Fallout 3 has humor clearly hasn't played that game either. The problems with the game go far beyond the view. The view is of so little importance that it's not even a thing I thought was worth bring up when saying what was wrong with it.

Metroid Prime is a whole different thing with a whole different title, Prime is a far better game than Fallout 3, and Nintendo was still making traditional Metroid games.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-23-2015 at 07:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I never played the first two games but I liked New Vegas more than Fallout 3. And from what I was told by fans, New Vegas captures the feel of the old games better.
    New Vegas is far better than Fallout 3, and it does feel more like the old game. They got it about as close to the original Fallouts as you probably could within Bethesda's terrible engine and the framework they had to follow. They even got it looking more like it should, and playing the FPS like a FPS was made feasible.

BANNED

Translation: Old men bitching cause things aren't exactly how they used to be when it was just their own little special club that played the original game.

Anything New Sucks!!!!!!!
    I'm 23.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    No, they didn't. That's the thing.

The first-person perspective is not what I was complaining about.

Ah, the "Transformers is actually a good movie series" argument, nice one.

BANNED

I am interested in how MikeP thinks Bethesda didn't completely mess the lore of the series up with Fallout 3. Seems they're still doing it with Fallout 4.

Yeah New Vegas was better than 3.

But to me 2 is the best Fallout ever.

As it kept the same cool stuff of 1 and got rid of the annoying time limit of 1. ( which was annoying only due to being new and not knowing what to do at first)

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    In that it doesn't really capture the tone of the series. Fallout 3 was a game set out as if the Great War had just happened a couple decades ago and the fallout just cleared, instead of the bombs dropping back a couple centuries ago, and then there were some fairly baffling choices regarding how the major factions were handled and a lot of story beats taken from the original game that didn't really make much sense- go get a GECK, because you did that in the first game, even though it would be better used for almost any purpose than what you actually use it for, or go fight an army of Supermutants even though there's no reason why they could be there thanks to what's already happened. It just didn't feel like a proper continuation of the series, and Bethesda haven't done any decent writing in a game for years so I'm not suddenly optimistic.
    For the record in 1 you were getting a water computer chip to keep Vault 13s water drinkable then dealt with mutants out to change all vault people into mutants.

Two was the GECK because you were a descendant of the exiled vault dweller. They need it because they did not live in the vault and were dying. Then you fought the Enclave. Who were actually scary then.

BANNED

enjoyed the original PC games, enjoyed 3 because there was so much to do, New Vegas was ok, but I am excited for this game

Authentic Comic Junkie BTNLegend's Avatar

I'm actually pretty new to the Fallout series. I did see the first two Fallout games on the shelves back in the 90s, but I never really bothered to try them out because I was too preoccupied with FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad and Quake. It was just this year alone that brought me back to the Fallout games and it all started with the mobile game Fallout Shelter for me. Yes, go ahead and laugh. Since then I've only played the first Fallout game and I have enjoyed it very much. It's a good RPG and makes me wish I had tried the games out earlier. I love the concept behind the vault and exploring the wastelands for resources. This fourth Fallout game sounds pretty interesting and I might give it a try. I don't really care about the changes in the Fallout games since I like variety in a series rather than just consistency. It's just a matter of whether or not the gameplay is good. Maybe I should go back and play Wasteland as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BTNLegend View Post
    I'm actually pretty new to the Fallout series. I did see the first two Fallout games on the shelves back in the 90s, but I never really bothered to try them out because I was too preoccupied with FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad and Quake. It was just this year alone that brought me back to the Fallout games and it all started with the mobile game Fallout Shelter for me. Yes, go ahead and laugh. Since then I've only played the first Fallout game and I have enjoyed it very much. It's a good RPG and makes me wish I had tried the games out earlier. I love the concept behind the vault and exploring the wastelands for resources. This fourth Fallout game sounds pretty interesting and I might give it a try. I don't really care about the changes in the Fallout games since I like variety in a series rather than just consistency. It's just a matter of whether or not the gameplay is good. Maybe I should go back and play Wasteland as well.
    Changing Fallout into a whole different genre of gameplay didn't add variety to the series; not a good kind anyways, since the gameplay in Fallout 3 is so bad. And Bethesda sure didn't add any variety to the setting, they moved the series to Washington, D.C. in three, but they dropped all these factions, creatures, and mutants that were only meant to be in California there...they also retread both the main stories of Fallout and Fallout 2, so no variety there either.

How long did you play Fallout Shelter? I played it for a bit while listening to podcasts, but it got too boring and repetitive really fast. Playing Fallout Shelter for a while just made me wish it was more like a Fallout version of SimTower, also wish you actually got to do something with the people you sent out.

Authentic Comic Junkie BTNLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Changing Fallout into a whole different genre of gameplay didn't add variety to the series; not a good kind anyways, since the gameplay in Fallout 3 is so bad. And Bethesda sure didn't add any variety to the setting, they moved the series to Washington, D.C. in three, but they dropped all these factions, creatures, and mutants that were only meant to be in California there...they also retread both the main stories of Fallout and Fallout 2, so no variety there either.

How long did you play Fallout Shelter? I played it for a bit while listening to podcasts, but it got too boring and repetitive really fast. Playing Fallout Shelter for a while just made me wish it was more like a Fallout version of SimTower, also wish you actually got to do something with the people you sent out.
    I never played Fallout 3 so I don't know. However, I've heard a lot of praise for it. I have also heard that its attempt at FPS failed.

I'm still playing Fallout Shelter actually. I gave up three times the first time I played it because it was frustrating and I didn't know how to manage the resources without all of it depleting so quickly. I now have 51 vault dwellers with at least five floors. With newer updates to the game, it's as entertaining as a game of its kind gets. I can definitely see where the charm can wear off though. I agree about doing something with the wasteland explorers you send out. That was a little disappointing, but on the other hand, I do like how this game focuses on the vault aspect and what goes on in there or what could go on there. That's something you don't really get from the main Fallout games.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BTNLegend View Post
    I never played Fallout 3 so I don't know. However, I've heard a lot of praise for it. I have also heard that its attempt at FPS failed.

I'm still playing Fallout Shelter actually. I gave up three times the first time I played it because it was frustrating and I didn't know how to manage the resources without all of it depleting so quickly. I now have 51 vault dwellers with at least five floors. With newer updates to the game, it's as entertaining as a game of its kind gets. I can definitely see where the charm can wear off though. I agree about doing something with the wasteland explorers you send out. That was a little disappointing, but on the other hand, I do like how this game focuses on the vault aspect and what goes on in there or what could go on there. That's something you don't really get from the main Fallout games.
    Lots of terrible games get undo praise these days, Fallout 3 is just one of them.

SimTower is kind of a game of Fallout Shelter's kind, and it's oh so much better. That game you could mess around with for years, I'm not sure I made it a whole week with Shelters. The two PC Dungeon Keeper games I guess could be said to be the same type of thing, and those are also both far better games.

I can't imagine staying with that game after restarting three times, the wait on everything can be terrible in that game. How long have you been playing it if you've only got 51 dwellers?

Fallout Shelters is disappointing in that it actually could be something really interesting, even as it is it could have been given more color with things like the updates of what your dwellers are doing out in the wasteland, (one of the great things about the first two Fallouts is the description of stuff in your hub) but it's less like a game and more like a hype machine for Fallout 4 that people can dump money into. It's kind of aggravating, because a post-apocalyptic building/management game about exploring the wasteland and keeping your people live could be great.