Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4

Crap.. this doesn't sound good. Buggy launch ahead

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137035

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post

Where'd he get a game that's not even out for a few more days in the first place?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Where'd he get a game that's not even out for a few more days in the first place?
    A store I'm guessing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post

Well, it is a Bethesda game.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    If you guys are waiting for Fallout 4, avoid any forums or communities that might even remotely be talking about it like the plague. There's a lot of spoilers due to the leaks, I myself saw some of it.

I actually had a bit of hope for Fallout 4 because I thought Bethesda would learn with Fallout New Vegas. Turns out I was wrong. The combat, crafting, AI and graphics are better, but the engine is still bad, the interface is still bad, dialogue is now some Mass Effect-style dung, they somehow managed to dumb down SPECIAL even more, etc. Can't wait for cringeworthy storyline. Wondering if I should spoil myself anyway.
    Yeah, I pretty much figured this the moment I found out the PC is a Pre-War character who's been frozen in a Vault. They're still so hung up on "the world was nuked!" and it seems to be the only thing they care about, they can't really be focused to do anything interesting with the Fallout setting, which is you know, 200 years later after the Great War.

BANNED

Yeah, it would more be news if it wasn't a buggy mess.

Xbox version also has issues apparently

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's easy if you know where to look. I know a place in Manhattan that sells games a full week before street date.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Well, it is a Bethesda game.

Yeah, I pretty much figured this the moment I found out the PC is a Pre-War character who's been frozen in a Vault. They're still so hung up on "the world was nuked!" and it seems to be the only thing they care about, they can't really be focused to do anything interesting with the Fallout setting, which is you know, 200 years later after the Great War.
    They don't realize all the potential, do they?

I think its because Bethesda thinks Fallout is a post-apocaliptic game, when Fallout has actually been Post-Post-Apocalypse since the first game.
    To me, post-apoc is about survival shortly in the aftermath of a disaster. Walking Dead is post-apoc, Fallout is post-post-apoc from day one.
    I've read that Fallout 3 had a lot of influence from The Stand, which, uh, I would't say would be a good influence.

They have a wrong conception of what Fallout games were about - like survival, and lonely wandering. Fallout is more about exploration of a post-nuclear world, not "about the player's story".

There's a lot of angles one can do in Fallout, the 4 big DLC in FNV encapsulate four of them perfectly:

The tribal-primitive "blank slatist" and religious-spiritual as wellsprings of the real angle, with some people practically rebuilding civilization from the ground up and others trying to conserve their traditional way of life. Knowledge lost, Russeau's Noble Savage vs Hobbes "Nasty, Brutish and Short", pre-war past as mythical, primitive material conditions and improvisation, surviving religions and traditions, etc. Sorta like the early game of Fallout 2, with roaming tribal warparties, ancestor worship, herbal cures, discrimination for being a tribal, spears and knives for weapons and getting a pipe rifle with some ammo from Vic's shed being like your birthday come early.
    Post-Apoc Survival Horror, technowreckage hell amongst malfunctioning pre-war tech, working with alleged functionalities. Getting thrown into a sudden situation with minimal knowledge, the few humans (or "humans") interactable being dangers to you as they are to their enemies. Think The Glow in FO1, but with people.
    Wacky 50s sci-fi crazyness and zanyness! Epic science that does great wonders! Incredible technology that has bizarre and disturbing implications! Science done for science's sake, or the lulz!
    Dark ambience through the forgotten destruction, fighting the horrors caused by man and his tools. Forbidding ambience as one walks to what might be final destruction.

New Vegas itself has a lot of similar tonal shifts: Early in Goodsprings and Primm its like a post-apoc cowboy movie (think Junktown in FO1, or Redding in FO2), then there's a talking cowboy robots and as you go south it starts turning into a grim war movie, then you go north again and it becomes more of a wasteland-ish nation building crossed with bussiness and greed and economy and crossed also with a gangster movie in Vegas with glitz and gloom mixed with science fiction.

Its one hell of a diverse setting, and Bethesda seems to focus only on the Pre-War/Vault angle, with only exception seems to be The Pitt and Point Lookout, where its mostly pushed to the background.

I've heard somewhere that FO3 was originally going to be shortly after the war, but they decided to move it to a later date because Bethesda dislikes prequels, aparently. If FO3 was 2-20 years after the war, it would make a lot more sense.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I have never played Fallout games. I saw they are launching it today in Gamestop and the game book is as big as a telephone book . So is the series an RPG ? It seems like an RPG ? Would Fallout 4 be a good time to try it ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I have never played Fallout games. I saw they are launching it today in Gamestop and the game book is as big as a telephone book . So is the series an RPG ? It seems like an RPG ? Would Fallout 4 be a good time to try it ?
    It depends on who you ask, but yeah, it's an RPG. I feel like it should be pretty accessible to newcomers, but there might be some in-jokes and references that could go over your head.

BANNED

The first two are RPGs. Fallout Tactics has the same RPG system as the first two games, but it's focus is on the tactical side of the first two games combat...like Xcom or Jagged Alliance. Fallout 3 is kind of a RPG I guess, it's still got stats, but it's more of a FPS; a really bad FPS, one with mechanics so bad you won't really be able to play it in real time. Fallout New Vega is made by the team that did the bulk of Fallout 2, it's based on the same gameplay has Fallout 3, but the actually gameplay is now playable, and the quest are all done far better. Fallout 4 just seems to be a FPS where you can unlock some skills, (like Skyrim before it) it doesn't really seem to be a RPG at all.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    The first two are RPGs. Fallout Tactics has the same RPG system as the first two games, but it's focus is on the tactical side of the first two games combat...like Xcom or Jagged Alliance. Fallout 3 is kind of a RPG I guess, it's still got stats, but it's more of a FPS; a really bad FPS, one with mechanics so bad you won't really be able to play it in real time. Fallout New Vega is made by the team that did the bulk of Fallout 2, it's based on the same gameplay has Fallout 3, but the actually gameplay is now playable, and the quest are all done far better. Fallout 4 just seems to be a FPS where you can unlock some skills, (like Skyrim before it) it doesn't really seem to be a RPG at all.
    This will show you I'm not a big time gaming guy or caught up on things. What is a FPS ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

This will show you I'm not a big time gaming guy or caught up on things. What is a FPS ?
    A first person shooter, games like Doom, Halo, and Call of Duty.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Being a Bethesda game, it's best you play the game on PC. It will be buggy, and glitches out the ass. The problems these games normally have tend to be worse on consoles. Even with patches it won't resolve most of the issues. At least on PC, modders will take care of whatever Bethesda doesn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Being a Bethesda game, it's best you play the game on PC. It will be buggy, and glitches out the ass. The problems these games normally have tend to be worse on consoles. Even with patches it won't resolve most of the issues. At least on PC, modders will take care of whatever Bethesda doesn't.
    Modders won't fix the gameplay, or any of the big fundamental problems. But after some time they'll make it look better, will probably replace the stupid Pip-Boy 3000 with the Pip-Boy 2000 as well.