Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Because it's been 200 years, and it's frankly amazing that everybody still speaks English at all. Everybody who spoke like that is long dead, except for a few Ghouls.
    You think a bunch of Bostonains living in isolation would weed out an accent?

Anyways, saw this wonderful mod that shows the dialogue choices.

Why does this game even pretend to give you choices?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    You think a bunch of Bostonains living in isolation would weed out an accent?
    1) There isn't any isolation. There's been a lot of migration.
    2) Do you think 2015 Bostonians speak a lot like 1815 Bostonians?

Why does this game even pretend to give you choices?
    It's a random fetch quest.
    In any game ever your options for stuff like that have been
    a) do the quest and go to the location
    b) don't do the quest and go wherever.

How exactly do you intend to do any quest no matter how major at all without ever going to the location the quest is at anyway?
    Last edited by Carabas; 11-27-2015 at 05:31 AM.

BANNED

Human error.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I saved some decent money at Wal-Mart black Friday shopping yesterday and decided....to take the plunge and buy Fallout 4.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

1) There isn't any isolation. There's been a lot of migration.
    2) Do you think 2015 Bostonians speak a lot like 1815 Bostonians?
    There's been very little migration at all in the world of Fallout. Besides some stupid crap Bethesda added so they could drop the Brotherhood of Steel everywhere.

It's a random fetch quest.
    In any game ever your options for stuff like that have been
    a) do the quest and go to the location
    b) don't do the quest and go wherever.

How exactly do you intend to do any quest no matter how major at all without ever going to the location the quest is at anyway?
    Oh, you've only been playing modern RPGs...or you've forgetten the old ways. But the point is why even pretend to give you options when they aren't actually giving you options. May as well be a quick little cutscene that happens when you click on the person to go to the next place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    There's been very little migration at all in the world of Fallout. Besides some stupid crap Bethesda added so they could drop the Brotherhood of Steel everywhere.
    That's not really supported by much of anything.
    Raiders aren't nomadic? Really?

And again: do you think 2015 Bostonians speak a lot like 1815 Bostonians?

Oh, you've only been playing modern RPGs...
    I mostly play pen&paper tabletop RPGs with actual dice.
    And to do a quest you have to go to the location of the quest.

But the point is why even pretend to give you options when they aren't actually giving you options.
    It's not about options. It's about how your character behaves. Roleplay nuances which are very much appreciated by people for whom RPGs are not an excercise in stat min/maxing and game mechanics.

BANNED

That's not really supported by much of anything.
    Raiders aren't nomadic? Really?

And again: do you think 2015 Bostonians speak a lot like 1815 Bostonians?
    Nomadic within small areas. I think the original games had like one guy who was from outside of California, and he was a reference to Wasteland. But then the original games were very different, the Brotherhood of Steel and Mutants were solely California based, and by Fallout 2 the BoS was basically gone. New Vegas makes a pretty big deal about how Marcus has traveled all the way to the Rockies in the 20 or 40 years since Fallout 2. Most people in the original Fallout games seemingly don't travel far from home, and when they do, a pretty big deal is made of it.

The accent? Since the accent is the thing up for discussion. Probably.

Anyways, I'm bored, so I looked on google and found this:

The non-rhotic pronunciation that is associated with Boston today actually dates back 400 years, when settlers first came to the area from Europe. In his book, Bailey writes, “While the omission or vocalization of R is a prestige feature in modern British English, it was very much a rustic feature in 17th century England. In the evolution of R-less pronunciation, Boston led the English-speaking world.”

Luckily for researchers like Bailey, “New England at this time was perhaps the most literate place in the English-speaking world,” explains Zimmer,“so we have lots and lots of records of different types of language use.” During the 17th century, written English was not yet standardized, so these documents revealed the words spelled without their R’s, such as “Geoge” instead of “George” and “fouth” versus “fourth.”

If you want to look into that more feel free.

I mostly play pen&paper tabletop RPGs with actual dice.
    And to do a quest you have to go to the location of the quest.

It's not about options. It's about how your character behaves. Roleplay nuances which are very much appreciated by people for whom RPGs are not an excercise in stat min/maxing and game mechanics.
    No, it's about options, or it was in old CRPGs. It wasn't about four different flavors of one option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    First patch due next week, I started playing and thus far have had one crash and one noticeable(and easily worked around bug), which is much better than New Vegas when it released.
    Surprisingly I've played for over 48 hours and I haven't run into anything except for a car that launched to the moon when I jumped on it.

When they set a Fallout game in New Jersey, the accent will survive.

BANNED

I have generators and conduits everywhere

this s**t is not to code

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Suiciders are my new favorite enemy. I have not come across the bobby trapped mole rats with the mines strapped to them yet though so they could take the top spot.

BANNED

Still loving this game. I have noticed the quests are less complex, at least in terms of both dialogue options and branching paths, than New Vegas. Part of that is that this game ditches the New Vegas preoccupation with factions and faction reputation. Many of your New Vegas options for completing your quests were about who you wanted to please or piss off. And part of it is just that there's an inevitable trade off in complexity when you have fully voiced characters. Imagine if every line in the exceptionally verbose Planescape Torment had to be spoken aloud.

I do kinda miss the faction system. One problem is that certain groups, like Raiders, seem to be always hostile. That wouldn't be a problem except they're doing such interesting things. I've come across two raider activities so far that I'd like to be a part of, but my only option was to kill them because they dropped what they were doing and attacked on sight. I'd like the option to get in good with groups like this so they weren't hostile.

But there's still plenty of ways to approach each quest and a lot of room for play style specialization. And it's an amazing world with so much to explore and do, nice little surprises waiting for you in out of the way places.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Still loving this game. I have noticed the quests are less complex, at least in terms of both dialogue options and branching paths, than New Vegas. Part of that is that this game ditches the New Vegas preoccupation with factions and faction reputation. Many of your New Vegas options for completing your quests were about who you wanted to please or piss off. And part of it is just that there's an inevitable trade off in complexity when you have fully voiced characters. Imagine if every line in the exceptionally verbose Planescape Torment had to be spoken aloud.

I do kinda miss the faction system. One problem is that certain groups, like Raiders, seem to be always hostile. That wouldn't be a problem except they're doing such interesting things. I've come across two raider activities so far that I'd like to be a part of, but my only option was to kill them because they dropped what they were doing and attacked on sight. I'd like the option to get in good with groups like this so they weren't hostile.

But there's still plenty of ways to approach each quest and a lot of room for play style specialization. And it's an amazing world with so much to explore and do, nice little surprises waiting for you in out of the way places.
    They really may as well just drop the whole pretense of being an RPG. Just do the game like the new Far Crys, keep the whole loot system, and have the perk system be a simple skill tree without "levels" being a part of it.

If your choices are basically coming down to yes, no, sarcastic, just go with first person cutscenes like Far Cry. Bethesda clearly wants to go all cinematic, and that would be far more cinematic, with far better presentation...and they could still have some yes no choices in there.

BANNED

I like the different perk trees and all that, so its not an "RPG" like a VERY SMALL minority want?

who gives a f**k?

they are awesome huge games and if you want 'RPG' go grab a dice and some paper, sit in the corner, and let the rest of us be

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    I like the different perk trees and all that, so its not an "RPG" like a VERY SMALL minority want?

who gives a f**k?

they are awesome huge games and if you want 'RPG' go grab a dice and some paper, sit in the corner, and let the rest of us be
    Hey, Simbob's notions of what is and isn't an RPG may be decades out of date, but that's no reason to throw all of us people who love their funny dice under the bridge.

So, anyway, does anybody know why those damn robots at the Graygarden settlement are perpetually unhappy even though they're well stocked in all resources?