Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    All you need to know is Superman dares Lex Luthor to do something, and Johns perfectly captures their dynamic (despite not understanding Superman at all). It was one of the best interactions I've seen them have in a long time.

e.
    That's what is odd about Johns is he doesn't get Superman all that well. He only kinda sorta gets Lex...but damn it, he gets the dynamic between them when he writes them together. it's like he writes two totally different takes of both of them.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If you like this, I also recommend Morrison's opening Action arc and the first issue of Pak's run, (24 or 25?) which is a Zero Year tie-in. It's young, rookie year Superman and he's great.
    I tpb the Zero Year tie-in collection so've already got the Clark & the Whales issue #25 but Action vol 1 might be something to eBay, taverymuch.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Seriously, I love this comic. It pretty much sold me on everyhing, even the parts I wasn't completely sure yet, like the remains of the cape as mint,
    Yeah, this arc is really fresh.
    You will need a miracle to defeat us, mutant! You are severely outnumbered!
    My brother's the one who cares about numbers.
    THUNK
    I'm the one who believes in miracles.

I couldn't get into this issue. It wasn't bad, but I didn't like how it started off with Superman already having lost his powers and people knowing he is Clark.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Fantastic Member

^fingers crossed that (like previous posters have said) the other Truth titles fill in the gap / flesh things out.

Spectacular Member

One thing I love is the "leaping" Superman is back for a while rather than Flying Man. Also the 1939 era "S" emblem on his chest is bad to the bone.
    Fans of the Golden Age (like myself) and fans of Morrison's version of The Golden Age (also myself) should love this arc.
    After reading all the Superman Chronicles I became very very fond of the early version of Supes before flight and before space travel and his feels natural to me.

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    I couldn't get into this issue. It wasn't bad, but I didn't like how it started off with Superman already having lost his powers and people knowing he is Clark.
    Comic book publishers are a crazy bunch

Sandfli

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I think it's in 3 weeks, actually. The way I understand it, it goes like this:
    Week 1: Action Comics
    Week 2: Batman/Superman
    Week 3: Superman/Wonder Woman
    Week 4: Superman (where the answers are going to be).
    I am new to reading Superman and knowing this has helped me understand things a little better. However, I just read Justice League #41 and am having trouble reconciling this issue, where Superman has no powers, with that issuee, where he does. Where does JL fall in timewise with the rest of the Superman books?

Quote Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
    One thing I love is the "leaping" Superman is back for a while rather than Flying Man. Also the 1939 era "S" emblem on his chest is bad to the bone.
    Fans of the Golden Age (like myself) and fans of Morrison's version of The Golden Age (also myself) should love this arc.
    After reading all the Superman Chronicles I became very very fond of the early version of Supes before flight and before space travel and his feels natural to me.
    I'm a big fan of early Golden Age Superman myself. He's an awesome character, I can understand how he became so popular. But the guy we see in "Truth" doesn't feel like him at all. The lower power levels are similar, but the character, attitude and situation are miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfli View Post
    I am new to reading Superman and knowing this has helped me understand things a little better. However, I just read Justice League #41 and am having trouble reconciling this issue, where Superman has no powers, with that issuee, where he does. Where does JL fall in timewise with the rest of the Superman books?
    DC is currently putting less emphasis and importance on continuity, and more focus on creators just telling good stories (you know, the things that made comics popular in the first place ) So I wouldnt worry too much about it. If TRUTH was going to be the new, permanent status quo that'd be one thing, but odds are this will last six months, then we'll move a little closer to the normal status quo for another six months, and somewhere around this time next year everything will be, essentially, back to normal. So you can just assume that TRUTH takes place before or after the stories in other titles that feature a more traditional Superman (and Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and so forth). Or just assume these are all happening on alternate realities that share a lot of overlap but aren't exact copies of each other.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Considering that the members of the JL all happen to look like they did before all the new "status quos", I'd say it happened before AC 41, if only because there's no way DC is going to outright tells you it's not going to have an impact at all. So, basically, everytime you see Superman flying with a cape, it's before "Truth".
    But as Ascended said, it's really not important. JL is doing his thing , and the Superbooks are doing theirs.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Fantastic Member

[oops] slow typist.

Just remember to store any #41+ comics in which Superman flies BEFORE any #41+ comics in which Superman just jumps. QED.
    Last edited by zwixxx; 06-07-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Simple answer: We don't know. With DC You, it's story over continuity so we assume we'll find out later on, but the JL book is at a different time period than the other books. Most likely before all of this.

Presumably the Justice League arc takes place before both Truth, given the noticeable difference in Superman, and before Endgame, since Bruce is still Batman.

Now, whether or not the Justice League arc is before the stuff with Ulysses remains to be seen. I'd presume that since Johns wrote both, he knows how it fits together.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
    Wait. You saying that this Superman is back to his ORIGINAL power levels? Ironic considering that some people are saying that this depowered Superman is not the classic Superman. Well, this is closer to the way Seigel and Shuster intended it to be.