Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Airboy #1

MATURE READERS
    Worlds and minds explode in a brand-new series! When acclaimed comics author JAMES ROBINSON (Starman, Fantastic Four) is hired to write a reboot of the 1940s action hero Airboy, he's reluctant to do yet another Golden Age reboot. Just what the hell has happened to his career-?! His marriage?! His life?! Hey, it's nothing that a drink can't fix. It's after one such night of debauchery with artist GREG HINKLE that the project really comes into its own. Quite literally. Because Airboy himself appears to set the two depraved comic book creators on the straight and narrow. But is the task too much for our hero?

Full preview here.

Amazing Member

I really liked it. Best Robinson comic since The Shade. Hinkle art is great too, I wish we could see these two on an ongoing.

I loved it! I really hope it is based on a true story, where they jointly hallucinated Airboy after a business meeting turned party.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Just read this and as a huge fan of the Chuck Dixon run for Eclipse Comics in the '80s this was nothing like that at all. It's about Robinson who is experiencing writer's block trying to come up with an idea for a new Airboy comic. He meets with Hinkle to try to think up an idea and they end up going bar hoping instead. Their drunken and drug-fueled escapades are actually quite entertaining and I liked the artwork as well. This issue reads more like a William S. Burroughs story than an Airboy comic though. That being said I still greatly enjoyed it even though it left me asking "what the hell did I just read". Really looking forward to reading more of this.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I realized the other day I need to read more James Robinson. Plan to pick this up, hopefully one of my LCSs will have it still.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Book of the week for me! Just above Bizarro.
    TOP FIVE PULLS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, NICE HOUSE, NIGHTWING, SAGA

This sh!t was wild, they should have OD'd, midway through,
    Last edited by DIVINITY; 06-07-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I picked it after the guys at the shop recommended it, and I was not let down. I think I'll be adding it to my account next time I drop by. This book was absolute insane and a wild read.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I totally missed it this week at my LCS. Definitely have to pick it up this Wednesday.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've really been looking forward to this. Hopefully I'll be able to get it this week.