Default What happened before The New 52?

Hey everyone,

I read Batman Vol.1 and Batgirl Vol.1 and it seems that those two titles are not an entire reboot of the titles.

Can someone please send me maybe a wiki page or a page that explains:

- Who Batman married?
    - Who took care of Robin while Batman was doing his business?
    - Batgirl getting shot by Joker is only a flashback in The New 52

Where can I find out more of what happened before the New 52?

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedAliGHZ View Post
    Hey everyone,

I read Batman Vol.1 and Batgirl Vol.1 and it seems that those two titles are not an entire reboot of the titles.

- Who Batman married?

The Batman line wasn't fully rebooted by the New 52. Rather, the timeline was compressed into 5 years, with some characters and storylines wiped away.

To answer your questions:

-Batman was never married.
    -When Bruce was believed to be "dead", Dick Grayson took over as Batman and raised Damian as Robin to mentor him (see: Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin run).
    -Barbara was shot and kidnapped by the Joker as a way to screw with Jim Gordon and push him over the edge (see: The Killing Joke). Prior to the New 52, she never recovered, and instead used her computer hacking skills to fight crime as "Oracle", the DCU's most prominent information broker.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Hey everyone,

- Who Batman married?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_%28Bruce_Wayne%29

- Who Batman married? Answer: No one. Talia just claimed she married Bruce via Ra's law.
    - Who took care of Robin while Batman was doing his business? Answer: Which Robin?...Anyway, the answer is Alfred. Who fathers Bruce & all the Robins basically.
    - Batgirl getting shot by Joker is only a flashback in The New 52 Answer: Read Alan Moore's The Killing Joke (in its original coloring, not recoloring)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Read Alan Moore's The Killing Joke (in its original coloring, not recoloring)
    Or read it with the far superior recolouring.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    The Batman line wasn't fully rebooted by the New 52. Rather, the timeline was compressed into 5 years, with some characters and storylines wiped away.

To answer your questions:

-Batman was never married.
    -When Bruce was believed to be "dead", Dick Grayson took over as Batman and raised Damian as Robin to mentor him (see: Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin run).
    -Barbara was shot and kidnapped by the Joker as a way to screw with Jim Gordon and push him over the edge (see: The Killing Joke). Prior to the New 52, she never recovered, and instead used her computer hacking skills to fight crime as "Oracle", the DCU's most prominent information broker.
    Oh I see! Thank you so much for the information, I'll buy "The Killing Joke" then.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Or read it with the far superior recolouring.
    What's the difference? Which one is better?

What's the difference? Which one is better?
    Sadly, the only way to truly find your own answer is to read both versions. The new recolored version is not just recolored, but redrawn some as Batman's oval chest symbol is replaced with a non-oval symbol (that is far too small and wrong looking IMHO).

I greatly prefer the original coloring. Left below is original, right is new recoloring.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Sadly, the only way to truly find your own answer is to read both versions. The new recolored version is not just recolored, but redrawn some as Batman's oval chest symbol is replaced with a non-oval symbol (that is far too small and wrong looking IMHO).

I greatly prefer the original coloring. Left below is original, right is new recoloring.

Thanks for the post.

I actually prefer the recoloured version, it looks much better in my opinion. Everything is detailed unlike the older version where it's just bright. The recoloured version suites the dark Joker tone much better.

Thanks for the post.

I actually prefer the recoloured version, it looks much better in my opinion. Everything is detailed unlike the older version where it's just bright. The recoloured version suites the dark Joker tone much better.
    That's cool. I definitely prefer the carnival-ish garish original coloring, which I find darker and more suited to Joker and the psychological crazy nature of the story. The changed chest symbol is perhaps the biggest flaw of the new version.

http://io9.com/372026/killing-withou...d-batman-comic