View Poll Results: After "Truth", should Superman have a secret identity again?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 64.71%
  • No

12 23.53%
  • I don't care either way

6 11.76%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Question After "Truth"... Secret Identity: Yes or No?

After "Truth", do you want that Superman finds a way to make secret again his Clark Kent identity? Or maybe he should take on a new identity? Or would you prefer that he doesn't adopt anymore a secret identity?

BANNED

Let's see how it goes. I have high hopes for this story. Ultra hyped from what I saw from Pak and Yang. Now it's to hope for the best from Tomasi. If it's well done, why not keep the status quo?

It's a bit hard to say at this point ... I don't see how he can go back to Clark Kent as it's not exactly a secret any more ... might be difficult (but not impossible) to create a new one ... I think he mentioned some time ago (during Grant Morrison's run) that if his secret was exposed he'd 'create another one' ...

Maybe it's good idea for him (for now, at least) to just figure himself out (rather than just what personality he should adopt for a particular situation) ... which is what I think 'Truth' is essentially all about

Astonishing Member

I voted yes because I prefer Clark to Superman 24/7, so in a perfect world I want the classic status quo back. But I'm not sure that DC won't find a way to make restoring Clark as a secret ID something I regret wanting.

Astonishing Member

I voted yes mainly because that's the 'default' status quo. As much as I like things to be shaken up, its a bit too much to expect that something as fundamental as the Clark Kent secret identity will be permanently done away with.

Having said that, I do hope this new status quo lasts a couple of years at least.

Eventually, the secret ID should return by any means necessary, and comics have never been beyond ridiculous, impossible retcons while simultaneously claiming that their product is meant to be edgy and relatable(which is obviously what they're trying to do with this new grounded, casual buzz-cut motorcycle-enthusiast Superman).

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Yes. Superman 24/7 is not what his creators envisioned, and this particular revelation of his secret ID came at the expense of Lois Lane's integrity.

Frankly, I want the ID revelation to be flat-out retconned. As in "time travel is used to prevent Lois from betraying Clark in the first place." Let Pak and the others do their pointless and unnecessary deconstruction of Superman for the 900th time, and then let's get back to letting Superman be Superman.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I really don't care either way. Having a secret identity isn't integral for Superman to be Superman. But for the moment, I want to see DC explore how Superman functions in a world where everyone knows his identity. That's a story that hasn't been explored yet and I like the direction it's going so far. I'd like to see more of it before it gets retconned or rebooted out of existence.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Considering it's only been one issue of Truth, I think it's a little early to tell. My preference is for the secret identity, but I'm giving Truth a shot to do something new.

BANNED

One of the biggest bones of contention with Spider-Man fans is that the public knowledge of his identity was something that wasn't viable long-term in the eyes of Marvel. It was a means to an end in order to dissolve Peter's marriage and reboot the universe without neccersarily committing to the promise of a reboot.

DC are under no such obligations. We are long past a reboot now and have just come off a storyline where all continuity is possible, there is no Lois/Clark relationship to break up, because they've done a firm enough job in establishing little to no relationship from the get-go (though Truth may gradually build it back up while deconstructing it a tad, we'll see), and if you want, you can dismiss what's going on now because the married Clark and Lois are out there somewhere to be used again one day.

Placing Clark's I.D out in the public eye now ought to have far-reaching consequences and repercussion and accountability for every character affected by it that will help them learn, grow, and redefine where they stand to readers and to future creators who want to play in this sandbox. DC have years of mileage in this, and I want them to stretch it out as much as possible.
    Last edited by Loose Threads; 06-04-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Retired

The bits of this story I've seen online remind me of a few classic Superman stories, where Superman gave up his secret identity. These stories were either resolved in the same issue or within the space of a few issues. The lesson learned by Superman and the audience is that Superman needs his secret identity--it's what keeps him sane.

This just seems like the decompressed version of the same thing. Except, in this case, the lesson is not learned at the end of one issue and it may not be learned in a few issues. It could go on for months or years. But the lesson will be learned eventually.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Should come back. The secret identity is beyond integral for Superman mythos/comics.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Threads View Post
    One of the biggest bones of contention with Spider-Man fans is that the public knowledge of his identity was something that wasn't viable long-term in the eyes of Marvel. It was a means to an end in order to dissolve Peter's marriage and reboot the universe without neccersarily committing to the promise of a reboot.

DC are under no such obligations. We are long past a reboot now and have just come off a storyline where all continuity is possible, there is no Lois/Clark relationship to break up, because they've done a firm enough job in establishing little to no relationship from the get-go (though Truth may gradually build it back up while deconstructing it a tad, we'll see), and if you want, you can dismiss what's going on now because the married Clark and Lois are out there somewhere to be used again one day.

Placing Clark's I.D out in the public eye now ought to have far-reaching consequences and repercussion and accountability for every character affected by it that will help them learn, grow, and redefine where they stand to readers and to future creators who want to play in this sandbox. DC have years of mileage in this, and I want them to stretch it out as much as possible.
    The married Clark and Lois are actually how I think this would be undone. New 52 Clark and Lois merging with the Post Crisis Clark and Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yes. Superman 24/7 is not what his creators envisioned, and this particular revelation of his secret ID came at the expense of Lois Lane's integrity.

Frankly, I want the ID revelation to be flat-out retconned. As in "time travel is used to prevent Lois from betraying Clark in the first place." Let Pak and the others do their pointless and unnecessary deconstruction of Superman for the 900th time, and then let's get back to letting Superman be Superman.
    After reading Action Comics 41 I don't think they are deconstructing the character. Yeah he is not as powerful as before but he is still acting exactly the same. I call deconstruction something like what Hickman did to the Avengers Illuminatti

Superman's secret ID is one of the appealing things about the character. Taking it a way for the short term, or for a singular story, is fine by me, because many times it's worth telling a story about taking away something of tremendous value from the main character.

I'm all for shaking things up with Superman once in a while, but taking away his secret ID entirely does not appeal to me.