Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Things you'd like to see in superhero comics that you normally don't?

1. Comics that are comics instead of movie pitches.
    2. The return of thought bubbles.
    3. More vague depictions of power levels. (Marvel does this better then DC).

I would like to see death matter more in superhero comics. Death is a pretty big joke in superhero comics right now.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

1. Time progression and lasting character development.
    2. Meaningful deaths.
    3. Smaller shared universes.
    4. Creative teams that stay on titles years at a time.

Of course, these only apply to superhero comics. Which I honestly don't really read anymore anyway, but if something came along that fired on all those notes I'd probably check it out.

Spectacular Member

When somebody dies, he NEVER, EVER come back again. Not even a ghost.
    He/she is gone forever.
    This will be much more logical.
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I would like to see super-heroes wear simple coats and Papier-mâché masks instead of tight spandex normally worn by most super-heroes.

image gratuite à télécharger

hébergeur d image gratuit
    Ya! This will be awesome.
    Btw, what anime are those pics from? Looks interesting.
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Superheroes taking therapy

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Less winky treatment of the superhero as something "unreal" in the story.

If people die and come back in your universe with regularity, then stop having characters "from the real side" lecturing superheroes on how only they come back, real people blah blah blah. They are real people. This, whatever and wherever the story is, it is reality.

Eventually, the World Outside Your Window approach to superhero universes is better left jacked up or abandoned.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Less winky treatment of the superhero as something "unreal" in the story.

If people die and come back in your universe with regularity, then stop having characters "from the real side" lecturing superheroes on how only they come back, real people blah blah blah. They are real people. This, whatever and wherever the story is, it is reality.

Eventually, the World Outside Your Window approach to superhero universes is better left jacked up or abandoned.
    Any examples of this happening you could mention please? I know characters have expressed shock at resurrections but I don't recall them saying the resurrected weren't real.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Any examples of this happening you could mention please? I know characters have expressed shock at resurrections but I don't recall them saying the resurrected weren't real.
    If I remember correctly, I think when Hawkeye was resurrected after House of M he felt like he wasn't real or at least questioned how it could have happened.

Which makes no sense in a world where so many other characters have died and come back. Seems commonplace enough to not really be that unbelievable.

BANNED

A lot of the Front Lines comics went into that (especially during the Civil War). I hated High School but love High School stories, would love to see more (like Spider-Man loves Mary Jane-style). More slice of life stuff, like Astro City. And more real cosmic stuff, like Starlin Warlock/Captain Marvel, Englehart/Starlin/Marz Silver Surfer, Giffen/DnA Guardians of the Galaxy. Bendis is too snarks on a plane style for me to really enjoy the current title, I keep waiting for something to happen to go with the dialogue.

Happy couples that stay together.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

I didn't mean to pigeonhole it down to just that, but I've seen characters wonder or feel it, because "it doesn't happen," and there was an entire issue of Secret Avengers - in the midst of a very good Nick Spencer run, really - where a magazine staff insist to Black Widow that only superheroes come back to life and it's not like real people (they probably say "real people" at least once). Warren Elis distinguished between "real people" and superheroes a few times when he was first breaking into American comics, and it was slightly in vogue in the late 80s. Grant Morrison called it a colonial mindset, as opposed to an anthropological one: enforcing the authors' "reality" onto the comic, despite it not fitting or functioning well in the comic.

In something like The Crow, the whole "This is the really real world. There ain't no coming back," works, because resurrection is unusual and weird there. In the Marvel Universe... half of everybody died and came back to life once. People - literally - got t-shirts printed up.

Treating things like resurrection or flying - in a longstanding superhero universe - as completely impossible or as something that isn't "real," is like denying the moon landings. Batman, in the DCU, can refuse to believe in UFO conspiracies, but he's got to believe in aliens, because he knows too many not to.

Basically, I mean Savage Dragon is a much better way to go than trying to tamp it all down and pretend the world follows our rules or our standards, the way that, say, the New Universe did for too long, or Marvel and DC on occasion still do.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    If I remember correctly, I think when Hawkeye was resurrected after House of M he felt like he wasn't real or at least questioned how it could have happened.

Which makes no sense in a world where so many other characters have died and come back. Seems commonplace enough to not really be that unbelievable.
    Well that was the first time he'd been killed and resurrected so he was probably in shock.

I'd like to see more Good Guys fighting Good Guys , and not Like A Vs X , just straight up two good guys who don't like each other , fighting for no good reasons.

I would like to see superhero comic book characters get older, even if it happens at a slower pace than real world time. Yes, popular characters might eventually get old and become less effective at fighting crime and saving the world. On the other hand, that almost means that meaningful changes could happen without getting retconned or rebooted away periodically. For example, a superhero could have a kid, and then we actually see the kid grow up. Instead, we have Franklin Richards stuck in an eternal childhood and Teen Titans getting killed off periodically so they don't become adults. Older heroes could step back and become mentors to younger heroes, which we did get to see somewhat in the modern JSA runs. It might be tough for creators for awhile, executing long-term changes without trampling on work by previous writers, but there would be great long-term benefits in terms of story-telling opportunities.