Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Default X-Tinction Agenda #1, Genosha revisited. (Spoilers!)

Here Guggenheim(w) and di Giandomenico revisit another classic X-Men storyline, in a comic solicited as a "sequel" to the original event. So far the Secret Wars retellings have been a mixed bag for me: so is this one any good? I bought it on a bit of an impulse, not expecting that much.

image.jpg
    Summary
    This comic opens at the end of the original X-tinction Agenda, where Havok and Wolfsbane make the decision to stay and rebuild the devastated Island. It shows the unable-to-be killed Cameron Hodge being buried under a mountain of rubble by Rictor to stop him.
    It flicks forward a few years to show an island under strict quarentine, devastated by a mysterious evolving virus targeting mutants. There are widespread food riots and unrest. The rulers, Havok and Wolfsbane (now in a relationship) are barely able to maintain order with the help of the Genoshan military led by Chief Magistrate Anderson, and their "press gang": Karma, Rictor, Wicked (an obscure Claremont character with the power to raise ghosts), Mystique, and Bulletproof. (A new character. No prizes for guessing his power).
    Havok and Wolfsbane approach Doom for help, he refuses as mutants are a plague upon the Earth.
    Genosha is an island in the wider Battleworld domain of X-Topia, which is ruled by Baron Rachel Grey, also Phoenix. They ask her to send them Triage and Rogue, who could probably cure the virus. She is torn, but refuses because if the cure doesn't work then all mutants would be likely to be exterminated. A devastated Havok and Rogue decide to invade X-Topia, and take them anyway.
    The issue ends with the team going in, and communicating feedback to Genosha, where the genegineer is secretly working to bring back....Hodge.

Review

It's a really rollicking good comic. Fun, funny, dramatic, sad, high stakes, true to character, completely packed full of action yet still coherent. It's the first X-Men team comic I've read in a while that I've unreservedly enjoyed, and I'm so glad I picked it up.

Unlike some X-writers, Guggenheim clearly knows the X-Men in depth, and loves them too. It really comes across here. He uses characters from multiple eras, and does a good job at catching their voices. Lots of characters have good moments, and he does a great job at both sharing the spotlight, and telling a great story. You also get a feeling for the richness of the X-Universe. Havok, Wolfsbabe, Rictor, Karma, Boom Boom, Anderson, Hodge, Rachel, Beast, Wolverine, Rockslide, and Mystique, and Cyclops all get some proper shine. Then there's wallpaper cameos from Rogue, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Magma, Kurt, Greymalkin, Anole, Strong Guy...(I could be missing a few. Any takers?)

Di Giandomenico's has a very distinct art style. It's quite sketchy and line-y, and also very kinetic and expressive. He draws beautiful tech, and architecture, and has quite a loose, but also detailed look. I really like it, but it might not be for everyone. It's quite brightly coloured by Woodward.

There's a great cover by Nakayama, which is based on Lee's original X-Tinction Agenda #1 cover. It even has a team label in the corner, featuring the (I guess) to be formed team of Havok, Wolverine, Rahne, Karma, Boom Boom, Rictor, Nightcrawler and Mystique.

9/10 from me. Already wanting #2.
    "Self has no time for this."

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I ♥ Baron Grey. And I never thought I'd see Wicked again.

I wasn't expecting to like this, because I wasn't a fan of the source material. But I was wrong.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I ♥ Baron Grey. And I never thought I'd see Wicked again.

I wasn't expecting to like this, because I wasn't a fan of the source material. But I was wrong.
    That's me exactly. Sometimes it's good to be wrong.

How was Rachel and Rogue in this issue? Were they written well?

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Rogue is just a brief cameo. The X-Men are playing baseball before the Genoshans come to steal her and Elixir away to cure them. She's pitching, and says a few basebally things. It's nothing much, but she may well have more next issue, since she's mentioned as one of the targets of their raid.

Rachel is in the heartbreaking position of being a leader asked to chose to give a small percentage of her citizens a chance to live, at the risk of making all mutants extinct. It's a lose/lose situation for her. I'd say she's sympathetically written, even if I'm not sure I agree with her choice. She has a few pages worth of action, and it's significant.

The original X-Tinction Agenda crossover is probably my favorite X-centric crossover of all time and this revisiting hits all the right notes while moving the story forward. I absolutely love that Rachel is in charge and she is amazing here. The characters all feel right and I can't wait for the next issue.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Fantastic Member

I've always wanted to see Rachel in the X-Tinction Agenda story. never thought that would ever happen! I thought for sure it was Jean at first. Nice work Marvel. This and Years of Future Past were pretty entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    If nothing else shes in a very interesting position and was central to the action. Its one of those tricky no-win type situations, so I imagine people will come down on both sides.

Doom hates mutants? No, no, no. Captain America hates mutants.

Could someone please post the panels where Doom calls mutants a blight or pox or whatever?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Doom hates mutants? No, no, no. Captain America hates mutants.

Could someone please post the panels where Doom calls mutants a blight or pox or whatever?
    Here you go.

image.jpg

He's not actually attacking mutants, so much as not giving a s#%* if they die.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I thought Doom has always hated mutants. In Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 he calls them "mutant scum". It doesn't really make sense that Doom created a world that still has mutants in it.

This was the first Secret Wars X-men tie-in that I felt was really underwhelming. This whole issue just fell really flat. I like Havok and all, but he didn't really do anything memorable in this issue other than hook up with Wolfsbane. Compared to a book like Years of Future Past, this really didn't do anything unique. It lacked the drama and impact. It also had a lot of plot holes. I would've loved to learn more about what Rachel was up and how she became a baron. I also would've loved to learn more about how the Xavier Institute is functioning at this point. I'm willing to give the next issue a try in hopes that it'll fill in some of these plot holes, but I'm not overly excited about this book compared to the other tie-ins.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Rachel's destiny was always to become a leader. Our Rachel started to realize that before Secret Wars and it's nice to see at least one AU Rachel in Secret Wars to step up like Mother Askani did.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

A very good read but it looks like every tie-in is Doom telling everyone to F themselves cause the whole "I am Doom and do not wish to bothered" thing is annoying as hell. Alex having sex with Big Face Wolf Rahne was gross(they couldn't give her a wolf-girl look) I guess he had his eyes closed. Nice that Wicked AND Rachel are getting some props.

So who we thought was Jean is actually Rachel? Since I collect comics with Jean in them I might not haft to pick this one up.
    Last edited by 5cents; 06-04-2015 at 04:16 AM.