Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC Comics Letting Creators Define the "Look and Style" of DC You, Says DiDio

Dan DiDio and Jim Lee discuss the DC You initiative, and the publisher's drive to reflect real-world diversity in its comics.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member

I always feel a little amused at the fact that Big Two comic publishers always - always - get better publicity if they can claim they're letting creators do what they want and not imposing a house style. I didn't like the style of the New 52 but I don't think it's always such a bad thing for a company to have an overall style to its line. Some of the best mainstream comics were made under the guiding hand of a strong editorial style, the difference being that we only hear about editorial interference when it doesn't work (Dark Phoenix Saga at Marvel and a few others notwithstanding). I don't think DC needs to apologize for having a house style, just for having a bad one.

As for diversity, I think it's good that DC has realized that the New 52 used up all the aging male comic readers and they need to look for new ones. But I'll believe it's more than a marketing gimmick when they or Marvel don't just put women writers on female-led books, etc., but give them a chance to write the big famous heroes too.

And I hope that by opening up the creator pool they don't just mean drawing from the relatively small demographic and geographic club that writes independent comics. I want diverse perspectives - and that means intellectual and stylistic diversity, the most important diversity of all - on the likes of Superman and Batman and so on.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I always feel a little amused at the fact that Big Two comic publishers always - always - get better publicity if they can claim they're letting creators do what they want and not imposing a house style. I didn't like the style of the New 52 but I don't think it's always such a bad thing for a company to have an overall style to its line. Some of the best mainstream comics were made under the guiding hand of a strong editorial style, the difference being that we only hear about editorial interference when it doesn't work (Dark Phoenix Saga at Marvel and a few others notwithstanding). I don't think DC needs to apologize for having a house style, just for having a bad one.

As for diversity, I think it's good that DC has realized that the New 52 used up all the aging male comic readers and they need to look for new ones. But I'll believe it's more than a marketing gimmick when they or Marvel don't just put women writers on female-led books, etc., but give them a chance to write the big famous heroes too.

And I hope that by opening up the creator pool they don't just mean drawing from the relatively small demographic and geographic club that writes independent comics. I want diverse perspectives - and that means intellectual and stylistic diversity, the most important diversity of all - on the likes of Superman and Batman and so on.
    I agree on having a house style if it's a smaller company with a tighter vision, but across 50+ books and hundreds of creators I think it's way too limiting.

It kinda ties into diversity in that I believe a company with a line as wide as DC should be open to good ideas for existing and new characters from all takers. I think the "house style" thing, if left the way it was, is too limiting in regards to character voicing....i.e., "Your vision for this character is compelling, but it doesn't fit this pre-conceived tone we have for all our books, which was generated by this group of editorial staff/creators, years ago." That type of thinking, I think, indirectly limits the points of view you have approaching various elements of the medium, and leads to intellectual stagnation and may even limit diversity in creators and creations.
    Last edited by Hi there!; 06-04-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

As someone who went from buying many New 52/DC comics to none, I can only say I will believe it when I see it. I don't think Didio can unleash the changes DC needs.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi there! View Post
    I agree on having a house style if it's a smaller company with a tighter vision, but across 50+ books and hundreds of creators I think it's way too limiting.

It kinda ties into diversity in that I believe a company with a line as wide as DC should be open to good ideas for existing and new characters from all takers. I think the "house style" thing, if left the way it was, is too limiting in regards to character voicing....i.e., "Your vision for this character is compelling, but it doesn't fit this pre-conceived tone we have for all our books, which was generated by this group of editorial staff/creators, years ago." That type of thinking, I think, indirectly limits the points of view you have approaching various elements of the medium, and leads to intellectual stagnation and may even limit diversity in creators and creations.
    Yeah when you have a house style the books tend to blend together to much. That look of sameness is actually kind of off putting, and I'm glad the hare getting away from it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Yeah when you have a house style the books tend to blend together to much. That look of sameness is actually kind of off putting, and I'm glad the hare getting away from it.
    Unfortunately this also applies to the look of these books which art wise has deteriorated by leaps and bounds in the same manner as a lot of current Marvel.The art for the new Black Canary and worse Doctor Fate has already eliminated those books from my list and the art for Bizarro is just stupid. This desperate ploy follows in the footsteps of Marvels Silver Surfer,Rocket Raccoon and X Force. What works on some indie books like Madman or other titles can be a lot of fun in the context of those books( I like Oeming a lot) but on mainstream titles I prefer something closer to the classic artists. For artists unable to adapt and expand their styles just tells me they never truly learned to draw. Again to each his own but I am disappointed by most of DC's new launchs and plan to go elsewhere with my money.

Spectacular Member

So many of these new books look fantastic...WE ARE ROBIN, HELLBLAZER, DOCTOR FATE, BLACK CANARY...very exciting.

Spectacular Member

Alton: The artist of the new DOCTOR FATE book, Sonny Lieu, is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Unfortunately this also applies to the look of these books which art wise has deteriorated by leaps and bounds in the same manner as a lot of current Marvel.The art for the new Black Canary and worse Doctor Fate has already eliminated those books from my list and the art for Bizarro is just stupid. This desperate ploy follows in the footsteps of Marvels Silver Surfer,Rocket Raccoon and X Force. What works on some indie books like Madman or other titles can be a lot of fun in the context of those books( I like Oeming a lot) but on mainstream titles I prefer something closer to the classic artists. For artists unable to adapt and expand their styles just tells me they never truly learned to draw. Again to each his own but I am disappointed by most of DC's new launchs and plan to go elsewhere with my money.
    Ironically, the art for Black Canary and Dr. Fate put them on my pull list.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Ironically, the art for Black Canary and Dr. Fate put them on my pull list.
    Me as well. It's refreshing to see interesting art styles. Mainstream comics don't need to be bland.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

When you deviate from a "normal" art style, you are going to gain people who like the art and lose people who hate it. We saw this over and over again with Batman Eternal. Any time the art became too indy, there was a horrendous amount of complaining.

Ms. Marvel and Batgirl have a unique art style. It is not "normal" but it works for their respective titles. Will people say the same thing about Dr. Fate? I don't know. Black Canary's art definitely matches the punk rock vibe, so it will probably work.

Bad art can turn an otherwise great book into a steaming pile of poop. However, one man's poop is another man's gold.

DC and Marvel just have to weigh the benefits of using a unique art style off against the predictability of a house style.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Batgirl has very "normal" art, it just happens to be above average at the same time and the colors are upbeat.

I like Neal Adams enough to be happy that people aren't try to be him anymore. And hopefully gone is the backwards, generic house style of four years ago

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    When you deviate from a "normal" art style, you are going to gain people who like the art and lose people who hate it. We saw this over and over again with Batman Eternal. Any time the art became too indy, there was a horrendous amount of complaining.

Ms. Marvel and Batgirl have a unique art style. It is not "normal" but it works for their respective titles. Will people say the same thing about Dr. Fate? I don't know. Black Canary's art definitely matches the punk rock vibe, so it will probably work.

Bad art can turn an otherwise great book into a steaming pile of poop. However, one man's poop is another man's gold.

DC and Marvel just have to weigh the benefits of using a unique art style off against the predictability of a house style.
    Well, with Batman Eternal, you have art radically changing within its own series, which isn't necessarily a great thing, except for the up-and-coming artists who are basically having their "audition" on these books.

But readers who like the art style of Batgirl or Dr. Fate or Ms. Marvel or Black Canary will be happy with those series as long as they stay consistent.

BANNED

I personally don't prefer the Black Canary/Dr. Fate/Ms. Marvel style, but I'm willing to give it a chance if it brings in more readers.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Well, with Batman Eternal, you have art radically changing within its own series, which isn't necessarily a great thing, except for the up-and-coming artists who are basically having their "audition" on these books.

But readers who like the art style of Batgirl or Dr. Fate or Ms. Marvel or Black Canary will be happy with those series as long as they stay consistent.
    True.
    I remember when the Brubaker, Cooke, Allred Catwoman came out.
    After two years, they brought in Gulacy (who is a great artist, btw) and kept Brubaker on as writer.
    I ended up dropping it because it didn't feel the same.

But I'm sure it picked up some readers who expected something more like the Balent bad-girl art from the 90s but were turned off the more indie approaches of Cooke, Rader, Pulido and Stewart.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.