Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Spider-Woman, #8

Dennis Hopeless and Javier Rodriguez bring their first arc on the series to an emotionally satisfying conclusion in "Spider-Woman" #8.

Full review here.

A FORCE to be reckoned w/ Dazzler's Avatar

totally agree with everything stated here except for the rating....this should be a 5 star review, no doubt.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Dennis Hopeless and Javier Rodriguez bring their first arc on the series to an emotionally satisfying conclusion in "Spider-Woman" #8.

Full review here.
    I think it was irresponsible of Marvel to publish this issue without trigger warnings. I'm out.

Astonishing Member

Wasn't impressed with their first issue --- and am behind in my reading. Hopefully, it got better -- otherwise, I'll be dropping the series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Wasn't impressed with their first issue --- and am behind in my reading. Hopefully, it got better -- otherwise, I'll be dropping the series.
    If you mean issue one, the series undergoes a substantial change in direction at issue 5 with a new art team. Whether it's better is up for debate, but at least it's not bogged down by the wider MU while still giving love to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It was almost as bad as the new black guy spiderman after peter dies.

An utterly wonderful first story. The art is delightful and the writing style manages to be both light and fun as well as meaningful and serious. My favourite story by far this year.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

That the story basically led to them covering the very real situation of domestic abuse was impressive for the story arc here (though I'm not entirely sure what to make of those who had been put into that life forming a town of their own where they tricked their significant others into committing crimes to get them supplies and money). That said, I'm not terribly interested in this direction and will probably drop the series post-Secret Wars.

Astonishing Member

I probably should have given it more of a chance, but issues 5 and 6 really did nothing for me. The art looks good on the cover, but is kinda blah on the interior. I guess I was hoping for something closer to her original series during the Wolfman or Claremont runs. Sorry, but dropped.

I'm surprised at the main reaction to this series. Ever since the end of Spider-Verse I have really been enjoying this, and this issue, the culmination of the first real storyline, was the best yet. It's a situation I haven't really seen before in the MU, but it's one that actually is a good fit. I would like to see this idea explored more.

BTW, was Cat's boyfriend a new character, or an existing one? I certainly didn't recognize him.

I find it very interesting that this book seems to be so polarising. Half of us are dropping the book and half want to sing its praises. What is it exactly about the book that some of you are not enjoying? Is it the art that is splitting opinion is it an element of the plot, is it a mixture of both?
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Count me in as another singing its praises. It really feels like a brand new book. Makes you wonder how smart a decision it was tying this book to Spider-Verse. Yes, it will launch better in the short term but long term what does it look like?