Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
Nah, its one of my favorite origin stories for a song. Trust me. Peter Green went to the promoter after a gig to collect the band's payment, at which he was thrown a wad of cash on the table in front of him. The bills were krinkled and in a shape that caught his eye, with the two ends pointing upward, resembling horns (like they had been stored in someone's pocket, folded over for a length of time). The title "Green Manalishi" (which is a gibberish, made up word) popped into his head right then and there. And the evil addiction people seem to have with money became the inspiration for the lyrical content. Its a brilliant anology and visual.

One of my favorite songs of all time, and arguably the song that shifted my singing style forever. Two distinctly different yet equally amazing renditions. The Fleetwood Mac version is slow and doomy while Priest went with a chugging, fist-pump tempo that became their trademark.

I've been toying with a side thing for fun, dedicated to songs about comics. The project name is Metahuman and so far I've got tracks about Batman, Flash, Darkseid, Mogul etc. I'm always looking for collaborator!
From Wiki. . which offers two other versions (one of which also claims to have come from Green):

"Faced with the band's refusal to give away all monetary gains, Peter Green decided to leave Fleetwood Mac, but not before writing the haunting 'Green Manalishi,' which seems to document his struggle to stop his descent into madness."[1] While there are several rumours about the meaning of the title "Green Manalishi", one referencing a mysterious LSD drug called "Green Manalishi" associated with the drug scene of the 1960s and 1970s,[citation needed] Green has always maintained that the song is about money, as represented by the devil.[2]

Green has explained that he wrote the song after experiencing a drug-induced dream, in which he was visited by a green dog which barked at him. He understood that the dog represented money. "It scared me because I knew the dog had been dead a long time. It was a stray and I was looking after it. But I was dead and had to fight to get back into my body, which I eventually did. When I woke up, the room was really black and I found myself writing the song.

Regardless, it's a kick ass song, and is really so associated with Priest that most don't even know FM did it first (tho i like both versions)