Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Iceman #3 (spoilers/discussion)

Again, no time for a detailed summary, so here's some cut-and-paste from the preview thread:

This issue was fun, in a sitcom-y way. Lots of banter and puns, but that's what you get with Spidey and Bobby in the same book.

It got unexpectedly serious toward the end with Madin's little brother being used as a pawn against Bobby, then arrested. And yeah, Carlos didn't last the issue - he and Firestar both got dumped.

I think my only major concern right now is that the generally light tone of the book won't suit a showdown with a villain like Sinister. Yeah, Sinister has a certain amount of camp baked into his concept and visual, but he's generally a frightening fellow. So I hope this ends up feeling like a victory Bobby really has to earn. But, generally, I'm enjoying the book.

BANNED

This one was...eh. The team up with Parker was good(Amazing how they can keep in continuity with Spider-Man, but have NO clue with the X-men -_-).
    I was afraid that Spider-Man was going to steal the issue, but didn't phew.
    The Puns and Jokes were a bit of a chuckle to me.

All in all this was ok. Not great, but ok.

This was another fun issue. This mini is feeling a little bit more by the books than the previous. In many ways that is good because we hitting more of the issues we want/needed to see since Iceman came out like Emma Frost and the Amazing Friends. At the same time, these things are feeling a little rushed. Still this is my favorite book right now and can't help thinking how a book like this would have been invaluable to me as a kid.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

"To quote Mariah Carey..." The dialogue for this is so cringeworthy bad

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    "To quote Mariah Carey..." The dialogue for this is so cringeworthy bad
    I don't think that is completely out of character for Iceman though. Sina even makes fun of it himself with the Dad Joke Jar.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I don't think that is completely out of character for Iceman though. Sina even makes fun of it himself with the Dad Joke Jar.
    Its not out of character for Sina's Iceman, so this type of dialogue is no surprise. Its still cringeworthy. Are we gonna get a "Bye Felicia" next issue?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Its not out of character for Sina's Iceman, so this type of dialogue is no surprise. Its still cringeworthy. Are we gonna get a "Bye Felicia" next issue?
    Hey don't jinx it.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I liked the issue. The dating troubles were a cute and funny backdrop and the plot tied together with the first issue really well. The dialogue is improving, but it is (to me) the weaker aspect of Grace's writing. Stockman's art is fine, but boring.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Bit compressed and rushed, but not to bad.

Not a fan of the art though.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

The issue was ok, and it's nice they're finally tying to the Sinister plot. It is kind of jarring how it seems this is clearly a vehicle for Sina to do the Bobby stories he wanted and not necessarily what the plot itself required. This issue maybe less so than the Emma one, which literally had no connection whatsoever or even a slight mention of the Sinister plot.

I hope Sina has time to tie everything up nicely in these next 2 issues, but for a mini it feels too disjointed.

I bought Sina's first Iceman run and I enjoyed most of the issues. I defended the series to a real life co-worker/friend. This series I've read online and I just can't enjoy it. I find it too silly and I am starting to worry about Iceman's characterization. I do not want the haters to be right on this one, but I agree some moments have certainly been cringe worthy.

I can see Iceman poking fun at embracing some elements of "popular" gay culture, but ...lets not take it too far.

Quote Originally Posted by FeniSam View Post
    The issue was ok, and it's nice they're finally tying to the Sinister plot. It is kind of jarring how it seems this is clearly a vehicle for Sina to do the Bobby stories he wanted and not necessarily what the plot itself required. This issue maybe less so than the Emma one, which literally had no connection whatsoever or even a slight mention of the Sinister plot.

I hope Sina has time to tie everything up nicely in these next 2 issues, but for a mini it feels too disjointed.
    I think this is all tying together very nicely. The stories just feel more self contained with than the previous volume; given that it's mini that seems expected and explains the rush at times. Emma is returning as well.
    Last edited by NewMutant; 11-07-2018 at 01:58 PM.

BANNED

He probably will the way this issue was written. I wouldn't be surprised.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post

I can see Iceman poking fun at embracing some elements of "popular" gay culture, but ...lets not take it too far.
    I don't have a problem with Bobby making pop culture references that read as queer. My problem with the dialogue is that it's really clunky in spots. It doesn't flow well or feel like how a person would speak, often constructed in such an unnatural way for the purpose of delivering a joke which, most of the time, isn't very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I think this is all tying together very nicely. The stories just feel more self contained with than the previous volume; given that it's mini that seems expected and explains the rush at times. Emma is returning as well.
    I know Emma and Christian are returning, I just meant that issue 3 read more like a one-shot or a done-in-one issue of an ongoing than an issue in a mini. Maybe everything will pan out in the end, but everything about this volume seems too... curated?... for my taste. Like it's painfully obvious how things will transpire (both regarding plot and dialogue, with jokes you can see coming from lightyears away and not always land) and that predictability hurts it instead being a clever way to blindside the reader.

The Amazing Friends bits were great, besides the clichéd and caricature-esque nature of Bobby and Angelica's dates.

I'll just wait for the next issue to see how everything wraps up. Still rooting for Sina!