Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Default Shatterstar #2 Recap/Review, Spoilers

- We open with the Grandmaster narrating about the planet Horus IV, which is pretty similar to Mojoworld. Shatterstar’s predicament has been engineered as an entertainment for the people of Horus IV.
    - Cut to Star visiting Rictor at his club, the two have a tense moment.
    - Flashback establishing Star and Gringrave’s relationship.
    - Back to the club, Star tells Rictor about his abducted tenants, and asks for his help. Turns out Rictor has been operating a “mutant Underground Railroad” out of the basement of the club. Rictor has a lead about where Star’s tenants are.
    - Gringrave and the Death Sponsors are with Star’s tenants awaiting the multiversal teleporting services of Dockmaster.
    - Star and Ric teleport in, a fight ensues. Star’s tenants are sent through a portal to Horus IV, with Gringrave and the Death Sponsors.
    - Flashback to Star and Gringrave after sex, Star says he loves her, she gets mad and tells him that in their profession they should never love anything.
    -Back to the present, Star and Ric share a quick kiss post fight, the portal to Horus IV is still open, Rictor wants to join Star but he teleports Rictor away, while quoting Titus Andronicus, and Star goes through the portal alone.

I really liked the scenes between Star and Ric and the narration about the importance of their relationship to Star. Rictor operating an underground for mutant runaways out of his club is an interesting idea I wouldn’t mind seeing explored more. The plot is good, the art is great.

There were some retcons to Star’s history that I’m ambivalent about. I don’t mind that he had a sexual relationship with Gringrave, it fits in with how he has been used by others. However, I don’t really like the scene where he says he loves her. Star feeling love at this point in his history sort of reduces the significance of his emotional development since arriving in the 616.

I enjoyed this. The RicStar moments and narration about their relationship were by far my favorite parts of this issue. I'm not usually the biggest fan of Gerardo Sandoval's art but I LOVE the way he draws Gringrave.

This just proves to me that I want a Rictor or RicStar series waaaay more than I want a Shatterstar series. I still think Seeley is doing a great job with the book.

Another great issue. The RicStar moments did make me a little emotional.

I really enjoyed this issue. I especially enjoyed the bit about Rictor running an underground railroad. Coupled with 'Star as landlord, I'm reminded of the Morrison era X-comics, where mutant culture was prominently developed.

But I still can't get used to Rictor calling 'Star "Ben." It feels so weird.

-Pav, who also enjoyed the Michigan shout-out (despite the fact that we don't really see many loons)...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

The Gringrave scenes really dont line up with Star's confusion about women in X-Force #43
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    But I still can't get used to Rictor calling 'Star "Ben." It feels so weird.
    Yeahhhhh Anyone can anyone give me a quick rundown of how that was resolved? If what book to find it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    The Gringrave scenes really dont line up with Star's confusion about women in X-Force #43
    you mean when he was hit on and that loud ass Club but drunk girl of course we wouldn't be used to that lol + he's been mindwiped and thrown through time a few times

Rictor running an underground railroad for runaway mutants out of the basement of his club is such a great concept. I'm really loving how this mini is giving Rictor and Shatterstar full lives and jobs and friends outside of the X-men. It's great worldbuilding and gives both characters a lot of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    This just proves to me that I want a Rictor or RicStar series waaaay more than I want a Shatterstar series. I still think Seeley is doing a great job with the book.
    I really want that too. Please Marvel, give us a RicStar series

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Rictor running an underground railroad for runaway mutants out of the basement of his club is such a great concept. I'm really loving how this mini is giving Rictor and Shatterstar full lives and jobs and friends outside of the X-men. It's great worldbuilding and gives both characters a lot of respect.
    YUUUUUUUUUUUS. Whenever a writer is able to craft a whole existence for the characters we love -- if only just to give us an idea of what they MIGHT be up to when they're not active in any given roster etc -- that's just fantastic.
    Like, Rictor has A LIFE now. If he's not knocking heads and shaking earths, we have a legit answer for what he's up to. "WHERE IS RICTOR???" Uh....he has a JOB. Aaaaand some revolutionary extracurriculars, okay?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    YUUUUUUUUUUUS. Whenever a writer is able to craft a whole existence for the characters we love -- if only just to give us an idea of what they MIGHT be up to when they're not active in any given roster etc -- that's just fantastic.
    Like, Rictor has A LIFE now. If he's not knocking heads and shaking earths, we have a legit answer for what he's up to. "WHERE IS RICTOR???" Uh....he has a JOB. Aaaaand some revolutionary extracurriculars, okay?
    I love when Xmen "graduate" into real life and other things outside the Xmen....it's more normal.

Ultimate Member

It's a great concept, but frankly, kinda odd.

This isn't 'Gifted' where being a mutant is basically illegal. Where exactly is he taking them to?

It'd make more sense if he used the club as a shelter/safe place for mutant runaways.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It's a great concept, but frankly, kinda odd.

This isn't 'Gifted' where being a mutant is basically illegal. Where exactly is he taking them to?

It'd make more sense if he used the club as a shelter/safe place for mutant runaways.
    It would have made more sense back during Secret Empire, if he was ferrying mutants out to New Tian

Rictor and Shatterstar 15.jpg My babies are back together
    Last edited by andresdavidmr; 11-08-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Totally agree. I like how they tie use his issues with Gringrave to explain part of why he pushed away Rictor. This series is making a character I used to see as a one-dimensional fighter into a complete character. I never used to be interested in Shatterstar and this book has changed that. https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...shatterstar-2/