View Poll Results: Will RYV lead to OMD being undone?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Marvel has heard our disgust at the retcon.

10 19.61%
  • No: It's a cruel tease done just to sell the books.

41 80.39%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'd like to see OMD get undone just because it's such a sour point in the mythos. It forever gives a very evil villian a victory over the character without the main character even knowing about it, but all the readers are aware. This a a pretty cruel scenario for the fans who were invested in the marriage....fans who empathize with Peter and MJ, because we felt those years and how much they meant to Peter and to us.

I don't know if RYVs is the right way to do it. It seems more like ignoring it than addressing it, and OMD screams to be addressed in a way that Mephisto is involved. I'm hoping that RYVs at least builds up to a story that undoes OMD.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The question seems to be tongue in cheek.
    It is tongue in cheek

BANNED

The question seems to be tongue in cheek.

That said, my guess is that One More Day's not getting undone.

As a side note, I'd imagine there may be different responses to what it would mean for One More Day to be undone (Do Peter & MJ have to be married? Do they have to have been married for some time? Does Mephisto have to acknowledge a defeat?)
    Assuming Annie carries over from Battleworld, it would make MJ's "victory" over Mephisto in OMD/OMIT more complete. A popular fanon theory is Mephisto was trying to prevent 616 Annie from being cared for by Peter and MJ because she might have been a thorn in his side later. The only thing Mephisto's intervention guaranteed is Peter and MJ will probably be at a distance with each other while raising this version of Annie, where as she may have come out of life in the All-Different Universe much stronger if they were the tight couple they had been before.

Again, that's assuming Peter and MJ don't get together for the benefit of the child in the eight months between SW and All-New Marvel.

RYV may do further to render OMD more meaningless, but it probably will not quite reverse it.
    Last edited by Loose Threads; 06-06-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    One More Day is largely considered to be one of the worst comic book retcons in history (though some would disagree).
    Isn't that a tad . . . pretentious?

As for your poll, I don't think OMD will be undone, but I can't vote "No" because of the "It's a cruel tease done just to sell the books" baggage tacked on to it. It's more of a "What If . . . ?" play (which, yes, is suppose to make money for Marvel, but I think for-profit businesses are suppose to try and make money for some silly reason or another . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    No bias at all there in the options, I see.
    Well, yeah.

I don't think it's to be cruel. I think Slott had an idea for a story that could only be told under these circumstances, and he was able to get the story approved because it's an opportunity to cash in on the remaining support for the marriage. May be some cynicism in there, but I think Slott is only leveraging it to tell the story he wants to tell.

I don't expect the marriage back, but there is the bit in interviews about Peter's love life being set for the foreseeable future. So, something's up in the air there.

TAs a side note, I'd imagine there may be different responses to what it would mean for One More Day to be undone (Do Peter & MJ have to be married? Do they have to have been married for some time? Does Mephisto have to acknowledge a defeat?)
    It would be a mess either way.

If something like that were to happen, I'd rather watch it play out than have it come pre-fab. But there's supposed to be a time jump post-SW, isn't there?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Isn't that a tad . . . pretentious?

As for your poll, I don't think OMD will be undone, but I can't vote "No" because of the "It's a cruel tease done just to sell the books" baggage tacked on to it. It's more of a "What If . . . ?" play (which, yes, is suppose to make money for Marvel, but I think for-profit businesses are suppose to try and make money for some silly reason or another . . . )
    It is a stain that still permeates 616 Spiderman til this day.

OK taking it down a notch it is pretty bad. Is it as bad as other runs in various runs in the history of comics? idk tbh. But not many has their flagship character make a deal with the devil.
    Last edited by mtalisker18; 06-06-2015 at 10:24 AM.

BANNED

Guys, the way I worded the question and the pole options was meant to be tongue in cheek and slightly comedic.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Its a better story already than One More Day. Though I doubt it will do anything other than flip the big one at OMD.

As it should
    but then we will stlll have a bittersweet taste of could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Guys, the way I worded the question and the pole options was meant to be tongue in cheek and slightly comedic.
    I get it and I think it's fine; certainly not anything that needs to be changed but I do think that there are many who are probably not voting for one of the 2 choices because of the leading way they were phrased (based on comments above). For example, I actually do think we will have MJ and Peter together after RYV but I am undecided as to whether they will be married or just a couple again; moreover, I am not sure if there will simply be one All New All Different "616" or if some of these Secret Wars worlds will live on. There is much we still don't know but I do think Marvel will give us more Peter/MJ together tales come this Fall.

Of course not.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Uncertainty is my answer.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Personally I'd like to see the wedding and married years still to have happened as shown in the comics. The only way to do that is for that pigeon to die. And so I am hopeful that God Doom hates all pigeons.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The good kind of noise SpiderOrange's Avatar

Dan Slott already said in a Youtube video that RYW wouldn't undo OMD. He actually stated that OMD would never be undone and Marvel wouldn't have put themselves out there like that to only undo it a few years later. Instead RYV represents a chance for Slott to write a Mary Jane story since he wouldn't get to otherwise do so, and that's one of the reasons he pitched the story for Secret Wars. No one wants OMD / OMIT undone more than I, but the fact of the matter is that that shipped has sailed and isn't coming back.
    "This. Right here. This is where my life officially jumped the shark." Miles Morales
    "No, that was back on Cowboy world", Ultimate Cartoon Spidey
    ASM Vol 3, #12

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderOrange View Post
    No one wants OMD / OMIT undone more than I, but the fact of the matter is that that shipped has sailed and isn't coming back.
    Slott's also pointed out the marriage will keep going in the comic strip. So yeah, there's that.

And the marriage not coming back will last only as long as a creative regime like the one we have now wants it gone. If sales are good for RYV, it may inform their storytelling opportunities for 2017, where it will be the anniversary years for both OMD (10) and the marriage (30). So far, it's doing pretty well, being the fourth best-selling book of the last week and the highest-selling first issue of a SW tie-in.

Never say never.
    Last edited by Loose Threads; 06-08-2015 at 11:32 AM.