Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Oh come now, you most of the threads here are "________ restore the Spider-marriage???", "what old story from the 70's is better than some other old story from the 70's?" and Cmbmool's various MC-2 related threads ("Laura wearing the Wolverine costume is a slap in the face to DeFalco and Frenz's MC-2's Rina Logan character aka "Wild Thing,"-- discuss!")

There's like maybe 2 shipping threads and I'm fairly certain one of them is somehow still about how fantastic Mary Jane and the Spider-marriage is.
    * Which Super heroine would you like to see Peter date?
    * Jean Grey or Rachel Summers?
    * Spidey's DC love interest
    * Are Peter's Love Interests Shallow Characters Due To Being Drawn As Attractive?
    * Who should be Spider-Man's love interest in the new movie?

The first 3 are shipping threads, so I was off by one, I honestly didn't feel like digging through the board and relied solely on memory. The last two don't count. One is about whether or not his previous love interests are shallow due to being pretty (Which is a far cry from someone saying Pete and Medusa should hook up, even if Darthfury eventually derailed the thread.) and the other is about which character should appear opposite Peter in the movie reboot. (MJ, Gwen, Felicia, Betty, etc.) Not the same thing.

Now I want to see you go back through the board and find all the "One More Day" and Spider-marriage threads! (Honestly, this is the Spider boards version of "The Complex.")

Happy hunting MajorHoy!

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Thats because Ironman should be as famous as Spider-Man peroid, guess who was created first?
    Ooh, Ooh, Mistah' Kotter,

I know the answer to this one.

B) Iron Bland was created worst.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

An odd thing about Spider-Man is that he's a flagship character who isn't really treated like the flagship character in-universe. And that's fine. It's part of what makes the character work.

Iron Man does make sense as a guy who would be treated like an icon within the Marvel Universe.

A key thing to keep in mind is that elevating Iron Man isn't the same as diminishing Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    The first 3 are shipping threads, so I was off by one, I honestly didn't feel like digging through the board and relied solely on memory. The last two don't count. One is about whether or not his previous love interests are shallow due to being pretty (Which is a far cry from someone saying Pete and Medusa should hook up, even if Darthfury eventually derailed the thread.) and the other is about which character should appear opposite Peter in the movie reboot. (MJ, Gwen, Felicia, Betty, etc.) Not the same thing.

Now I want to see you go back through the board and find all the "One More Day" and Spider-marriage threads! (Honestly, this is the Spider boards version of "The Complex.")
    The love interest threads took up 80% of the board pre-CBR forum reboot. There were like 3 different poll threads asking which Spidey love interest was the best, individual threads assessing each love interest on the merit of her love interest-ness, and of course, the appreciation threads.

And all of that is separate from the OMD/marriage stuff, which took up 15% of the remaining 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    An odd thing about Spider-Man is that he's a flagship character who isn't really treated like the flagship character in-universe. And that's fine. It's part of what makes the character work.
    That's part of what makes Marvel work too. The underdog marching to their own beat and winning everyone's hearts in the process.

Iron Man does make sense as a guy who would be treated like an icon within the Marvel Universe.
    IN universe yes. But Brevoort is specifically saying he wants to have Iron Man be the flagship Marvel character in the real world.

A key thing to keep in mind is that elevating Iron Man isn't the same as diminishing Spider-Man.
    But if you are actively pushing for one character to be the flagship over the other, logically the other character would reduce in prominence, if not exposure. This would have bigger ramifications on his supporting cast, villains and spin-off heroes.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 06-08-2015 at 10:44 PM.

BANNED

Spider-Man sells. That's why he gets so many spin-offs. He's an institution. Flagship or not makes no difference. Does anyone here really follow Spider-Man because of his flagship status? Is that why you stick around?

Like Mets said, Iron Man being prominent won't diminish Spidey. He's not gonna go anywhere. Spider-Man is still Spider-Man.

This can only be a good thing. If Marvel stops treating Spider-Man like a mascot, maybe the character can live and breath on his own through fluid story and not by editorial restrictions and tampering.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Quoted for truth.

Spider-man is already an institution.

And I would argue that Marvel had already put Iron Man forward front and center of their promotional material since 2008.

This won't affect Spider-man one bit.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-09-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Incredible Member

I find it quite funny that Marvel thinks they'll pull this off, but I don't blame them for wanting to pull it off. Iron Man is fully their property yes, but Tony has never had and never will have the appeal Peter has as an all-ages character. He's a self-destroying recovering alcoholic who sells weapons, identifies as a futurist and comes across as arrogant and rude even at his best. He's an excellent foil to have, but he'll never be top dog.

BANNED

It still harms Spider-man cos he's supposed to be the Face of Marvel Comics.

Though the Spider-man franchise is not affected much compared to the Fantastic Four and the X-men, but it will still mean Spider-man will not be pushed as much as it used to be.

Also, for Marvel events, just like Wolverine, Spider-man won't be like the main character. He may still be one of the main cast but he won't be getting a better role.

BANNED

Iron Man books cannot compete Spider-man's sales in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    I find it quite funny that Marvel thinks they'll pull this off, but I don't blame them for wanting to pull it off. Iron Man is fully their property yes, but Tony has never had and never will have the appeal Peter has as an all-ages character. He's a self-destroying recovering alcoholic who sells weapons, identifies as a futurist and comes across as arrogant and rude even at his best. He's an excellent foil to have, but he'll never be top dog.
    fair point, but it's a brave new world. who knows? t stark might remind today's younger audiences of dads or adults they know. waid was surprised when a number of rehabilitating youths became attached to the plutonian because it was the first time they ever felt they identified with a character.

This is turning into Pro Wrestling style writing.

"Oh let's turn our hero into a heel and then flip him back to the main hero. No one will remember because these people are dummy ATM machines."

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    It still harms Spider-man cos he's supposed to be the Face of Marvel Comics.
    People say this as if it's a FACT, but where is it written / shown that he's "SUPPOSE TO BE" the Face of Marvel Comics? The fact that he has been perhaps their most successful single character isn't quite the same as SUPPOSE TO BE.

I do find having such a slick bastard as Tony Stark's Iron Man sort of a questionable choice for the House of Mouse's comic book arm, but the perfect choice (Captain America) is probably seen as too old-fashioned / too un-cool by the marketing types.