Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I sincerely hope People of the Earth gets the X-movie they're looking for. Even though it's awfully specific and seemingly going to have a limited, personal appeal.

I mean, I want a Lethal Weapon where Riggs and Murtaugh make out and Murtaugh talks to an invisible six foot rabbit. I'm sympathetic.
    I think your movie has a larger audience appeal.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Murtagh is too old for that shit. (And shouldn't Riggs be the one talking to the rabbit?)
    Every time Murtaugh says that, he does it anyway.

And, we'd be expecting it from Riggs. This way it catches us by surprise and it'd be harder for folks to handwave off in-story.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Fantastic Member

I don't get how people say Wolverine was "stealing scenes" in DOFP. In every major action sequence, he's almost immediately taken out (the peace talks, getting owned by Mags, etc.) and is nothing more than the link between the past and alternate future. I do hope he's in Deadpool though, can live without horsemen Wolverine (though in a comic nerd way it'd be a canon way to give Wolverine his admantium)

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Maybe they aren't that interesting if Wolverine can steal the scene from them so easily especially since people are supposedly so tired of him.
    I think it has more to do with how the character is written in the movie synopsis, who is casted to make the interpretation and the quality of the acting performance...rather than a case of "my character is more interesting than yours".
    But there again, I'm the one not being objective and arguing just to prop up my "favorite" according to you, WeaponX.
    Oh well.

I sincerely hope People of the Earth gets the X-movie they're looking for. Even though it's awfully specific and seemingly going to have a limited, personal appeal.
    Awfully specific because I ask for more characters to be the focus of the movies, rather than the same duo/trio ?
    Personal appeal because I ask for *any* iteration of the X-Men to take center stage, rather than their villains ?
    That's some interesting critics to throw at me, that's for sure.

I mean, I want a Lethal Weapon where Riggs and Murtaugh make out and Murtaugh talks to an invisible six foot rabbit. I'm sympathetic.
    Heh. That's a pretty bad caricature of my stance, but at least it's funny.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    I think it has more to do with how the character is written in the movie synopsis, who is casted to make the interpretation and the quality of the acting performance...rather than a case of "my character is more interesting than yours".
    But there again, I'm the one not being objective and arguing just to prop up my "favorite" according to you, WeaponX.
    Oh well.

Awfully specific because I ask for more characters to be the focus of the movies, rather than the same duo/trio ?
    Personal appeal because I ask for *any* iteration of the X-Men to take center stage, rather than their villains ?
    That's some interesting critics to throw at me, that's for sure.

Heh. That's a pretty bad caricature of my stance, but at least it's funny.
    Pretty much when you are arguing the vision was a well developed character when literally all we learn about him is he's a robot built by Ultron, is worthy, and likes humans but Iceman who went through an entire character arc is not or that magneto Xavier and Mystique don't count as X-men even though they have all been one,yes I get the feeling your opinion is not an objective one.

And yes the fact that when asked what you wanted you said the 05 or E for extinction X-men it gives me the idea that it's not about seeing any group of X-men because you have gotten three versions of that just not the one you asked for.

Oh and stealing a scene means even though the scene is written to highlight another character another character in that scene shines through instead. So I don't know how writing is leading to stolen scenes or the take on the character for that matter.

And I'm sorry but I'm tired of everyone acting like Wolverine is the focus of the movies in spite of the audience deep seeded desire to see the other characters. It's not true the character is popular that's why he is in the spot light so much not due to some Fox conspiracy to show case Wolverine. If you think for a second fox would do that while thinking that Cyclops would be way more popular or a group of x-men other than the one they have would bring in more people you are fooling yourself.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 06-09-2015 at 02:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    There's more going on with the characters in Ocean's Eleven than in The Avengers.
    Well, let's be fair. Whedon is no Soderbergh. Not many directors are Soderbergh level.

BANNED

Every time Murtaugh says that, he does it anyway.

And, we'd be expecting it from Riggs. This way it catches us by surprise and it'd be harder for folks to handwave off in-story.
    Depends, are rabbit Kosher?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin705 View Post
    I don't get how people say Wolverine was "stealing scenes" in DOFP. In every major action sequence, he's almost immediately taken out (the peace talks, getting owned by Mags, etc.) and is nothing more than the link between the past and alternate future. I do hope he's in Deadpool though, can live without horsemen Wolverine (though in a comic nerd way it'd be a canon way to give Wolverine his admantium)
    Exactly. Wolverine was very limited in that movie to show case other characters but this being CBR that scenario is impossible so it didn't happen. I think they should do Wolverine as death get him his adamantium back in a cannon way. Besides I'm pretty sure even though they are now pretending he is not confirmed his name was among the first confirmation wave along with Fasbender Macavoy J-Law ect.

Pretty much when you are arguing the vision was a well developed character when literally all we learn about him is he's a robot built by Ultron, is worthy, and likes humans but Iceman who went through an entire character arc is not or that magneto Xavier and Mystique don't count as X-men even though they have all been one,yes I get the feeling your opinion is not an objective one.
    Well first, I said Iceman and Beast were the only characters who had received decent development in the films aside of the usual suspects.
    Second, I didn't dismiss Xavier as an X-Man, in fact I said he's one of the only X-men who've been put in center stage in Fox movies.
    That's two things you got wrong.
    Three, yes, I don't consider Magneto or Mystique X-men given their long career as X-villains. Heck, they've been villains in four of the five X-movies. I wouldn't consider the likes of Sabertooth X-Men for that matter, even though he too had a stunt in their ranks a while back.

As for the Vision, if all you've gathered from him in the AoU movie is "he's a robot built by Ultron, is worthy, and likes humans", I have to wonder how your own objectivity is faring these days.

And yes the fact that when asked what you wanted you said the 05 or E for extinction X-men it gives me the idea that it's not about seeing any group of X-men because you have gotten three versions of that just not the one you asked for.
    I said that any iteration would be fine, as long as the balancing was there - I literally couldn't be more open to the roster of characters being spotlighted. I just dismiss the idea you sport that X-villains development = X-Men development. That's simply not true. Five films now and Magneto/Mystique have been the antagonists in four of them...That's all there is to say.
    Also, you just saw the throwaway examples I gave and you immediately jump to the conclusion "you are arguing because you don't have the version you wanted". Again, couldn't be more open about which version of the X-Men would go live. You keep trying to spin this into a favorites-feud, when that's never been about this for me.
    My point has always been that Fox isn't delivering ensemble cast movies, given they keep focusing only on a few characters movie after movie after movie. That the number of characters who've been sidelined or neglected in order to do that is too important. And that what happened with Wolverine is the embodiment of that.

Oh and stealing a scene means even though the scene is written to highlight another character another character in that scene shines through instead. So I don't know how writing is leading to stolen scenes or the take on the character for that matter.
    I have no recollection of Logan appearing in the scene of someone else's moment/highlight only to outshine said someone by accident. Please provide the examples you are referring to.
    Personally, I think Wolverine prominence in the movies is due to creative choices (writing/casting/acting), but it's true that said choices have been motivated by the character's previous popularity.

And I'm sorry but I'm tired of everyone acting like Wolverine is the focus of the movies in spite of the audience deep seeded desire to see the other characters.
    He factually is the focus in the first trilogy, whether it's with Rogue in X1 or Jean in X3. X2 was about him alone, but at least the movie managed to balance the development of other characters while doing so.
    Lastly, DofP was hijacked off Kitty so that he could occupy a more central role to the story.
    In term of prominence, that's more than can be said from any other X-character, save the actual X-villains maybe, Magneto and Mystique.

It's not true the character is popular that's why he is in the spot light so much not due to some Fox conspiracy to show case Wolverine.
    Heh, Fox decided to hijack the entire DofP story off Kitty to put Wolverine where he was in the film, you are actually not so far off in saying "showcasing".
    Anyway, the character was popular before the movies, so yes, I think the creative decisions around him were mostly in response to that. And that would be fine if, at the same time, they had developed other characters alongside - since the movies were supposed to be ensemble cast.
    You think Fox did a good job at this, I think they did a poor job on the opposite.

If you think for a second fox would do that while thinking that Cyclops would be way more popular or a group of x-men other than the one they have would bring in more people you are fooling yourself.
    Cyclops is one of the character who's been regularly slighted in the X-movies, so that wouldn't surprise me if Fox had little faith in the character to begin with. Anyway, if Fox is serious about doing ensemble cast movies, they should do a better job at balancing the development of their characters inside them. Their track record is poor after 17 years.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Good news Hugh Jackman has confirmed he is in X-men Apocolypse! Can't wait.

Spectacular Member

The Avengers has the benefit of all those characters (except Widow) having had solo movies and continuing to.
    I love how Hawkeye never gets remembered in these "all" scenarios that leave Black Widow excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Mystique and Magneto are X-foes, so your count is already down to three actual X-Men being the focus in 17 years.
    The first X-Men film came out in 2000. X-Men: Apocalypse isn't out unless you have some advanced copy. Mystique and Magneto are X-foes, but First Class has them beginning as fellow X-Men. Therefore, they count, retroactively. The film industry is a business. Except for Wolverine, none of the X-Men have been even able to carry a solo comic book series. It makes sense to center the films around him.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.