Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mark Waid's Flash

just got done re-reading mark waid's flash for the first time in... well, probably since the 90s. some scattered thoughts/questions:

1. i probably read through it too quickly, but: there was an arc where the mayor of keystone got fed up with wally and the flash had to set up shop in santa marta. seemed like he spent about 6-8 issues splitting time between both cities, then grant morrison/mark millar came aboard to do their year-long run. was wally getting run out of keystone ever resolved? for the life of me i can't remember, even if i just read it. too much flash intake at once, perhaps.

2. there are many, many books where i could see pop mahn's art being horribly distracting, but for whatever reason i really dug it on his short stint.

3. born to run, the return of barry allen, reckless youth, terminal velocity, dead heat, chain lightning, or 'other' -- what was your favorite arc? i loved all the mythos that were added during terminal velocity, but i'd have to say return of barry allen. it had been so long since i had read it i had actually forgotten the twist. well done.

4. waid made it pretty clear that wally during his run was the fastest flash ever. i haven't been keeping up with the new 52 series, or really any flash comic since wally was put out of commission. i know impulse became flash for a little while, barry's back, yada yada -- is wally still considered the fastest flash, or has the mantle already been passed?

5. the dark flash storyline was a somewhat anti-climatic ending to a pretty amazing run (nice final issue, though), but that was a baller suit.

6. emergency stop, human race, black flash -- favorite morrison/millar mini-arc? i will also, of course, accept that wonderful jay garrick standalone issue with him and his terminally ill nemesis-turned-friend.

7. i'm hard pressed to think of another run that started out with a hero i didn't particular care for, and ended with him being cemented as one of my favorite heroes of all time. i thought wally was a whiny tool for many a year after he took over as flash, but the evolution of his character should be considered textbook. bravo.
    Last edited by Adset; 06-06-2015 at 05:00 PM.