Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default The most important X-Men stories pre New X-Men

Hey every one, as the title suggests I'm just wanting to know what the most essential X-Men stories are (to continuity and just cause they're good) pre Grant Morrisons 'New X-Men' I'm thinking in this order;

The Dark Phoenix Saga
    Days of Future Past
    God Loves, Man Kills
    Mutant Massacre
    Fall of the Mutants
    Inferno
    Days of Future Present
    X-Tinction Agenda
    Muir Island Saga
    X-Cutioner Song
    Fatal Attractions
    Phalanx Covenant
    Age of Apocalypse
    Legion Quest
    Onslaught
    Children of the Atom
    Operation: Zero Tolerance
    The Twelve
    Dream's End
    Eve of Destruction

Ahh, the Mutant Massacre. Those were the days...

Quote Originally Posted by zachlee View Post
    Hey every one, as the title suggests I'm just wanting to know what the most essential X-Men stories are (to continuity and just cause they're good) pre Grant Morrisons 'New X-Men' I'm thinking in this order;

The Dark Phoenix Saga
    Days of Future Past
    God Loves, Man Kills
    Mutant Massacre
    Fall of the Mutants
    Inferno
    Days of Future Present
    X-Tinction Agenda
    Muir Island Saga
    X-Cutioner Song
    Fatal Attractions
    Phalanx Covenant
    Age of Apocalypse
    Legion Quest
    Onslaught
    Children of the Atom
    Operation: Zero Tolerance
    The Twelve
    Dream's End
    Eve of Destruction
    damn legion quest was the ****. great art awesome premise fantastic bad guy.
    “I am the ultimate hunter, come from the future to destroy you.”

Spectacular Member

Two changes to the order, I guess -
    1. Age of Apocalypse should be after Legion Quest
    2. Children of the Atom should be after Operation: Zero Tolerance

I kinda feel the Brood Saga should be in there, and maybe the Nimrod storyline that saw the introduction of Rachel Summers. The New Mutants/ X-Men Asgard epic was pretty memorable, too.

Honestly I think the comic was so strong between the Byrne and John Romita JR eras I feel there wasn't much in the way of filler; storylines flowed seamlessly from one to another without the need to hype them up with big, self-important titles.

yea, comic writing was a lot more fluid in the olden days and each big story didn't get an overarching name, as they weren't "events" or made for Trades.

Many of the most important stories in X-Men lore happened in Claremont's run from 94-280.

Second Genesis
    Phoenix Saga
    World Tour
    Brood Saga
    Wedding of Wolverine and Mariko
    Nimrod

etc etc
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    damn legion quest was the ****. great art awesome premise fantastic bad guy.
    Yeah, Andy Kubert and Matt Ryan did some great work on X-Men.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Honestly I think the comic was so strong between the Byrne and John Romita JR eras I feel there wasn't much in the way of filler; storylines flowed seamlessly from one to another without the need to hype them up with big, self-important titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentFelix View Post
    yea, comic writing was a lot more fluid in the olden days and each big story didn't get an overarching name, as they weren't "events" or made for Trades.
    EX-AC-TLY. You guys hit the nail. The soap was so solid that it let the issues run indefinitely --there was no need of great plot excuses or incessant climax. So the empathy with the characters and tales were much stronger.

There are so many really good X-Men storylines that predate Morrison's New X-Men launch. But I think the one that is probably the most important is the Muir Island Saga. Not only does it clean up almost 5 years of ongoing story revolving the Outback X-Men through the Siege Perilous, X-Factor, Magneto as headmaster of the New Mutants and Cable's arrival, it also sets the stage for the most explosive era of X-Men. The Shadow King was the threat that brought Xavier back to earth after almost 80 issues away. So many great moments here, but to call out a few - Colossus' return; Xavier and the O5 again; saving of Polaris; the real reunification of the mutants back under Xavier.

My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    There are so many really good X-Men storylines that predate Morrison's New X-Men launch. But I think the one that is probably the most important is the Muir Island Saga. Not only does it clean up almost 5 years of ongoing story revolving the Outback X-Men through the Siege Perilous, X-Factor, Magneto as headmaster of the New Mutants and Cable's arrival, it also sets the stage for the most explosive era of X-Men. The Shadow King was the threat that brought Xavier back to earth after almost 80 issues away. So many great moments here, but to call out a few - Colossus' return; Xavier and the O5 again; saving of Polaris; the real reunification of the mutants back under Xavier.

Good point. I agree! That's why I was shocked that Piskor skipped it on Grand Design. [although its more clear everyday I was like the only one enjoying that ]

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    Good point. I agree! That's why I was shocked that Piskor skipped it on Grand Design. [although its more clear everyday I was like the only one enjoying that ]
    I've been reading Grand Design and honestly loving it. The most recent issue played out quite differently than I expected it to. Not quite sure how I feel about it yet, though. But glad that someone else is enjoying it too!
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

My kinda dude! ^^ ^ Great art in Muir Island (and GD)

wow just realized there's no collected Muir Island Saga!? That's fncking crazy

Great list! Agree with many that are saying Claremont;s entire run is "essential" and no filler. You forgot the one that brought them back from publishing extinction : Giant Sized X-Men!

Also I don't know if there's an actual title for this arc, but X-men (1991) 1-3. I see some trades call it "Mutant Genesis" but I don't know if that's official. Maybe that's why it's not on your list, it's not an titled event. Though it very much was an event back then.

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    wow just realized there's no collected Muir Island Saga!? That's fncking crazy
    It's criminal, I tell ya!

The Muir Island Saga and all of Paul Smith's run are very underrated in quality and importance IMHO.

Claremont/Smith includes Ororo's transformation, the Morlocks (knife fight!), Rogue joining, Maddie Pryor, Logan's wedding, Kitty's "Prof X is a jerk!". All of this in around 15 issues. It works as an awesome transition between Byrne/Cockrum's era to the gritty 80s X-Men.