Default Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #6 Twenty Minutes Later

20 MINUTES LATER and it will still be as funny as the previous time you read it! This book's intentional silliness is still being managed in a charming and orderly fashion which continues to be lots of fun. There was so much humor packed in so many pages. One of the funniest parts was the Narrator commenting on the 20 MINUTES LATER page. What the book needs is BETTER ART. This style lends to the silliness and is servicable but it really brings almost no visual stimulation.

Having said all that - this GIRL SQUIRREL introduction just may be jumping the shark. We'll see. It's a kind of funny concept in a evil Throg sort of way but I am willing to see where it goes. However, the other intros with the 2 rhyme themed heroes was great and totally complimented the awesome homage cover too.

Having said THAT - I can't wait to read next issue and anticipate lots of fun in spite of all this Battleworld bullroar going on right now. Hopefully, Spidey showing soon will be as quiptastic as possible!

Preview.
    SQGIRL2015006-DC11-63e13.jpg

I love the Squirrel Girl consistently befriends enemies, rather than punch them out. She resolves conflicts by talking them out. That's really nice.

Also, the comic is hilarious and adorable and I love it.

befriending enemies? How? and what's all this stuff about beating Thanos and Galactus?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    befriending enemies? How? and what's all this stuff about beating Thanos and Galactus?
    In issue #1, she beat Kraven by convincing him to go hunt giant monster whales. In issue #4, she beat Galactus by taking him to a nut planet and then they chilled out. And this issue has her beat Hippo by suggesting he get work with a demolition company to pay for all his food and his apartment. She talks to bad guys, figures out what they want, and gives them ideas on how to go about getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    In issue #1, she beat Kraven by convincing him to go hunt giant monster whales. In issue #4, she beat Galactus by taking him to a nut planet and then they chilled out. And this issue has her beat Hippo by suggesting he get work with a demolition company to pay for all his food and his apartment. She talks to bad guys, figures out what they want, and gives them ideas on how to go about getting it.
    While reading it, I was hoping for an Easter Egg that Doreen had an acquaintence -if not friend- working at Damage Control and she would have steered Hippo in that storyseed direction. Oh well, missing the oppurtunity did not take away from the ish at all and it still could happen...

Astonishing Member

Have not gotten issue 6 yet, but this series has been getting better. I loved issue 5 actually, reminded me of that episode of Batman where the kids were telling the different stories about Batman.

Also, I'm happy that there's still an audience for this book here.

Astonishing Member

I got the first issue of the series and loved it. Unfortunately I can't afford to add it to my monthly pull list, but I am eagerly waiting for the first TPB.

It's brilliant. my only complaint is the footnote text is hard to read on my screen sometimes.
    I surrender to the Contest

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

well said, Tiamatty--"I love [that] the Squirrel Girl consistently befriends enemies, rather than punch them out. She resolves conflicts by talking them out. That's really nice. Also, the comic is hilarious and adorable and I love it." Me, too. And full agreement with Cap Wessex: the only change I ask for is that the teeny tiny typy type be a darker, more easily-read color. Now down to two Marvel comics: Captain Marvel, and the Squirrel Girl!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Girl Squirrel seems to be a very basic Man Bat analogy, done in the Doreen style. I LOVED the Kraven resolution which, to me anyway, was very much like the end of the Thomas/Adams X-Men (issue 59) Sentinels story. This book has calls to all sorts of comics that old time superhero fans can relate to. It's one of the aspects about this book I love.

It was great seeing the ultra-poignant Surfer/Galactus and SG/Galactus stories at the same time. Slott's letter was awesome in its display of "fanboy rage".

Many of the jokes are directed to, longtime fans; I only hope they can appreciate them, I'm not reading many Marvels now, but this is on the top of the pile for me.

Love this book so much, lots of great comedy, the uselessness of domino masks, squirrel girl helping another villain find their calling, 'i'm the xander', and the narrator freaking out were all gold. Fantastic break from all the seriousness going on in Marvel right now.