Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Secret Wars Battleworld reminds me of the Godwheel world of Malibu Comics’ Ultraverse

https://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/...?TitleID=14303

The Godwheel saga was launched in January of 1995 as a four-issue, biweekly mini-series. Its cosmic storyline revolves around a gigantic celestial body known as the Godwheel. This was the last artifact of an ancient race of godlike “Builders” who have populated it with samples of life from throughout the universe.

As a result of the events in this series, the Marvel Universe would cross into Malibu Comics’ Ultraverse. This paralleled the real-life events of 1995, when Marvel made a successful bid to acquire rival Malibu Comics. As such, Godwheel marked the last stage of the original Ultraverse. In the months that followed its release, most of the original Ultraverse titles were canceled, while a number of Marvel/Ultraverse crossover specials were launched. Only the most successful of the Ultraverse titles (Mantra, Prime) were renewed to start again after the acquisition.

If I recall, the Godwheel was this huge disk shaped world where both sides of the disk were inhabited and the sun was in the middle (like a CD with a hole in the middle) and it's diameter spanned a solar system, if memory serves.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderson_disk

In 1974, the science fiction writer Larry Niven suggested that an Alderson disk "would be a wonderful place to stage a Gothic or swords-and-sorcery novel. The atmosphere is right, and there are real monsters.

Last edited by Jack Flag; 05-22-2015 at 08:25 PM.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Secret Wars/Battleworld is not that at all.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Secret Wars/Battleworld is not that at all.
    It reminds me of it is all I said.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    It reminds me of it is all I said.
    As such, Godwheel marked the last stage of the original Ultraverse. In the months that followed its release, most of the original Ultraverse titles were canceled, while a number of Marvel/Ultraverse crossover specials were launched. Only the most successful of the Ultraverse titles (Mantra, Prime) were renewed to start again after the acquisition.
    Do you think that the "canceled" Marvel books are not coming back? Only the Ultimate U is done. Strike one

If I recall, the Godwheel was this huge disk shaped world where both sides of the disk were inhabited and the sun was in the middle (like a CD with a hole in the middle) and it's diameter spanned a solar system, if memory serves.
    There is no hole in the middle of Battleworld with a sun. Strike two

The Godwheel saga was launched in January of 1995 as a four-issue, biweekly mini-series. Its cosmic storyline revolves around a gigantic celestial body known as the Godwheel. This was the last artifact of an ancient race of godlike “Builders” who have populated it with samples of life from throughout the universe.
    No. The only thing almost but not quite the same is the bolded line. And that's still a strike. Three if you're keeping count.

Question for you, did you read Secret Wars 1 and 2? Because it seems like you didn't.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

BANNED

I miss the Malibu characters.

Spectacular Member

Do you think that the "canceled" Marvel books are not coming back? Only the Ultimate U is done. Strike one

No. The only thing almost but not quite the same is the bolded line. And that's still a strike. Three if you're keeping count.

Question for you, did you read Secret Wars 1 and 2? Because it seems like you didn't.
    From my perspective, Jack Flag only said Secret Wars Battleworld reminded him of Godwheel. He then went into the background of what the Godwheel world was. Which is nice for people who never read the mini-series in 1995. He never said Battleworld and Godwheel was exactly the same or a ripoff from the other. Sometimes some comics brings back memories of older comics. I think you took his post too literally.

Man, I haven't thought of that storyline in years. Interesting parallel.

BANNED

If some Marvel writers are reading this thread and may consider giving some characters a cameo, please don't forget my Favorite character Valerie Marie Sharp aka Pressure.

It would also be great to see Prime, Mantra and The Night Man

I read almost EVERY comic book out there that is superhero related and have been doing so since the 70s. All your points are null to me. I see it and you don't. A put together conglomerate world by some Builders/Beyonders inhabited by super beings that when it ends will re-boot the original universe when mini-series ends? Seems similar to me/reminds me of past reads. I may add, have you ever read Godwheel?

And PS: We don't know what lies beyond the map of Battleworld - it does not seem to be globe shaped world because in Secret Wars #2 they seem to have went on the underside of Battleworld where gravity is in reverse. So battleworld could be a disk shaped world.......
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 05-23-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    If some Marvel writers are reading this thread and may consider giving some characters a cameo, please don't forget my Favorite character Valerie Marie Sharp aka Pressure.

While I know for sure Disney's Marvel owns Malibu's characters for comics I don't think the movie/TV rights are as clear cut so they probably will only live in the memories of fans for the foreseeable future. But I would love to see them back! I was kind of hoping Battleworld may have some Malibu characters show up or during the incursions.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 05-23-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Monkey View Post
    From my perspective, Jack Flag only said Secret Wars Battleworld reminded him of Godwheel. He then went into the background of what the Godwheel world was. Which is nice for people who never read the mini-series in 1995. He never said Battleworld and Godwheel was exactly the same or a ripoff from the other. Sometimes some comics brings back memories of older comics. I think you took his post too literally.
    Ditto. I don't get the hostile reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Man, I haven't thought of that storyline in years. Interesting parallel.
    Makes me want to go to my storage bin and rummage through my long boxes and dig out the miniseries again.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post

Rune. That was some scary character! At one point in time he possessed the Infinity Gauntlet from the Marvel Universe!!!!

There's no excuse not to eventually reintroduce the Malibu owned characters into the Marvel Multiverse, even if they have an Earth of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    There's no excuse not to eventually reintroduce the Malibu owned characters into the Marvel Multiverse, even if they have an Earth of their own.
    The only one I can think of is that I read somewhere that for Malibu the TV/Movie/royalties are not so clear cut.