Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

This was a solid beginning overall. The direction was a bit heavyhanded but still worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I wonder what training regimen Gordon used to turn himself from skinny police dad to Space Marine in just three months
    That my friend is the magic of the superhero comic book. Trust me, just go with it... this seems like it'll be a lot of fun, and really good so long as Snyder keeps up his resolve. For the first issue of an arc, i really enjoyed how singular this issue felt. Capullo, Miki, and Plascencia kill on art as per usual. The different deco skins for Robobunnybat made me chuckle and i also loved the electro golem thing from the first few pages. CANNOT WAIT to see whats in store for Bat-Gordo!!

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I wonder what training regimen Gordon used to turn himself from skinny police dad to Space Marine in just three months
    Superhero movie training.

Seriously, just ask Chris Pratt.

chris-pratt.jpg

Spectacular Member

The first issue was solid, but I'm curious how Red Hood, Robin, and Batgirl all respond to this.

Didn't like the way Jim was portrayed in Batman/Superman though. It made him seem like a jerk.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

Yeah, that was quite good. Fun, even.

Heh, I love that Gordon makes the same "Bunny" complaint as so many fans did.

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    Since Julia is going by an assumed name, and has come into the team via Lucius Fox (and that probably via Alfred), I think it very likely that she's the Bat-family's eye on proceedings from the inside. It's interesting to speculate how big the Bat-family might be at the moment. Could be as small as her and Alfred.
    Julia's inclusion is a welcome surprise, and yeah, I think she's the Bat-fam insider.

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    And the last panel of the issue is a heck of a cliffhanger.
    My guess... amnesia.

Quote Originally Posted by bat1987 View Post
    Ok, that was friggin' awesome! Really fun stuff, the non armored bat suit explains why he had to shave. It's a sleek design too, I like it. And, man oh man, that cliffhanger....
    Yeah, another nice surprise that happens to answer a fan question/complaint.

This turned out a whole lot better than I expected, it was actually a lot of fun. Snyder is at his best in this book when he doesn't take himself too seriously, like he did with the Joker arcs.

The robo-bunny mech is growing on me, but I don't think the super hero suit was a good fit for Jim's character.

And wow, does Greg Capullo draw a hideous Maggie Sawyer... She looked like a man!

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    My guess... amnesia.
    Amnesia was my first thought too. Because if Bruce survived, and wasn't too ill to do so, you know he'd be overseeing everything that was going on. He appointed Jean-Paul Valley to the role, and Dick during his Prodigal days in the cape. And even though he wasn't around the second time Dick became Batman, he still left all those recorded messages of advice, ignored or not.

But if he doesn't know who he is, or if he does know that he's Bruce Wayne but has completely forgotten that he's Batman as well, that could well explain why he's alive and yet leaving the field clear to everybody else.

Well to my surprise, I actually liked this issue as I was very apprehensive about the whole idea of Jim Gordon becoming a RoboCop style Batman. Yet one the reasons why it's good is because Snyder actually addresses and appears to have anticipated the very complaints some folks were having about the "All-New Batman" and then used that to illustrate how that was the exact point. And I thought its fitting that Gordon is essentially the voice of the reader here, that he's only doing this so no one else will have to, and yet has his reservations about whether or not he can fill his friend's cowl, as it were.

Also, I think I have an idea where Synder is taking things with this current arc. Anyone familiar with Batman Beyond would know the name, Powers, is big red flag, as a Powers was the villainous mastermind in that series. And here we have a Geri Powers, who, like Derek Powers, has bought out Wayne Enterprises. Also, a lot of what Geri Powers is pretty much telling Gordon exactly what he wants to hear: that while he's not as smart or tough as the other candidates, he knows Gotham city better than anyone and will keep it safe. That she, like him, was a Marine and thus right away makes him relate and identify with her point of view because of their common military background. She tells him Batman was still "just a man" in spite of being this "terrifying, giant thing" was only an "illusion." That he won't be police, but will work with them and the local government, that he will be a Batman with "checks and balances" and thus be "better" and an "inspiration." However, there was a reason why Batman worked outside the legal system--not only was it because Bruce felt there was too much red tape, but also because he knew that being part of system meant you were more vulnerable to having your ideals corrupted. As the review on Batman News points out, when Geri Powers tells Gordon he will be a Batman who will have checks and balances and answer to superiors, it's all but code for "You will be a Batman we can control."

Note also how in today's interview with CBR, Synder talks about how Gotham, in light of "Endgame" is still recovering from the "disaster" caused by the Joker, that the police didn't do a good job protecting people, that the new Bat-suit is intended to be "big and intimidating and militaristic." In other words, and not to get too political, but all this suggests a very strong "sacrificing one's liberty for the sake of security" overtone. Also, how did exactly did exactly did that member of the Whisper Gang get his hands on such sophisticated holographic/VR technology? Why, it's almost a bit too convenient he'd be causing a rampage through Gotham right at the moment Powers International are showing off their own "Batman" for all of Gotham to see, no?

Also, one the commentators in the Batman-News review pointed out something that Snyder appears to have slipped in right under people's noses. "Back in The Court of Owls," there was one family in particular who were traditionally the "Grandmasters" of the Courts. And that family's name was...Powers. We all assumed that all the Powers family were killed in Court of Owls, but it looks as if at least one member of that family has survived. So it seems like the Court of Owls is taking advantage of Batman's supposed demise, have taken over Wayne Enterprises, and are using Gordon and the symbol of Batman to take control of the city. Which, once they do that, will be the ideal time for Bruce Wayne to make his dramatic return to take Gotham back.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 06-10-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

I'm glad they kept that costume under wraps. I loved the sudden reveal of it. I was taken aback and impressed.
    The issue was great. The art was blowing me away, especially the opening page with the red sky, and the energy monster and it's expressive thought bubbles.
    The writing was nothing special this issue, but 2 thumbs up to Greg making a beautiful and thrilling issue. And props to Snyder for letting Greg carry the issue and not getting in his way.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Also, one the commentators in the Batman-News review pointed out something that Snyder appears to have slipped in right under people's noses. "Back in The Court of Owls," there was one family in particular who were traditionally the "Grandmasters" of the Courts. And that family's name was...Powers. We all assumed that all the Powers family were killed in Court of Owls, but it looks as if at least one member of that family has survived. So it seems like the Court of Owls is taking advantage of Batman's supposed demise, have taken over Wayne Enterprises, and are using Gordon and the symbol of Batman to take control of the city. Which, once they do that, will be the ideal time for Bruce Wayne to make his dramatic return to take Gotham back.
    Now that is very interesting indeed.

I know I said I was going to trade wait this back a few months ago but I might just have to read this issue by issue anyway. Sounds better then I thought it would from people's comments anyway.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    Yeah, that was quite good. Fun, even.

Heh, I love that Gordon makes the same "Bunny" complaint as so many fans did.

Julia's inclusion is a welcome surprise, and yeah, I think she's the Bat-fam insider.

My guess... amnesia.

Yeah, another nice surprise that happens to answer a fan question/complaint.
    Yeah, Amnesia probably...or that could be someone else...DC doesn't really care about the timeline anymore, so March being dead (in Eternal) may not apply here - could it be March?

Or perhaps it's Bruce, and he doesn't care anymore.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Well to my surprise, I actually liked this issue as I was very apprehensive about the whole idea of Jim Gordon becoming a RoboCop style Batman. Yet one the reasons why it's good is because Snyder actually addresses and appears to have anticipated the very complaints some folks were having about the "All-New Batman" and then used that to illustrate how that was the exact point. And I thought its fitting that Gordon is essentially the voice of the reader here, that he's only doing this so no one else will have to, and yet has his reservations about whether or not he can fill his friend's cowl, as it were.

Also, I think I have an idea where Synder is taking things with this current arc. Anyone familiar with Batman Beyond would know the name, Powers, is big red flag, as a Powers was the villainous mastermind in that series. And here we have a Geri Powers, who, like Derek Powers, has bought out Wayne Enterprises. Also, a lot of what Geri Powers is pretty much telling Gordon exactly what he wants to hear: that while he's not as smart or tough as the other candidates, he knows Gotham city better than anyone and will keep it safe. That she, like him, was a Marine and thus right away makes him relate and identify with her point of view because of their common military background. She tells him Batman was still "just a man" in spite of being this "terrifying, giant thing" was only an "illusion." That he won't be police, but will work with them and the local government, that he will be a Batman with "checks and balances" and thus be "better" and an "inspiration." However, there was a reason why Batman worked outside the legal system--not only was it because Bruce felt there was too much red tape, but also because he knew that being part of system meant you were more vulnerable to having your ideals corrupted. As the review on Batman News points out, when Geri Powers tells Gordon he will be a Batman who will have checks and balances and answer to superiors, it's all but code for "You will be a Batman we can control."

Note also how in today's interview with CBR, Synder talks about how Gotham, in light of "Endgame" is still recovering from the "disaster" caused by the Joker, that the police didn't do a good job protecting people, that the new Bat-suit is intended to be "big and intimidating and militaristic." In other words, and not to get too political, but all this suggests a very strong "sacrificing one's liberty for the sake of security" overtone. Also, how did exactly did exactly did that member of the Whisper Gang get his hands on such sophisticated holographic/VR technology? Why, it's almost a bit too convenient he'd be causing a rampage through Gotham right at the moment Powers International are showing off their own "Batman" for all of Gotham to see, no?

Except Snyder went out of his way to say in an interview: "Yeah, I want to say upfront: Geri Powers is not a mustache-twirling villain. To me, Geri is someone who has the best of intentions. She believes, like Jim, that the city needs a Batman, and also like Jim, that Batman needs a system of checks and balances. She just believes that having someone out there, masked and unidentified, waging a private war, is just wrong. And will hurt people.

This isn’t Robocop. He’s not a privatized policeman. For her, the Batman is a personal project subsidized by the government. The people who need to know who Batman is, know. Funding can be pulled from it. The company itself is responsible for Batman. The idea is also that he works with the police, so he’s subject to police review and all of this stuff.

It’s not that they created their own Batman to be an arm of private sector business. She truly believes, as did Bruce Wayne, that these companies need to be sources of economic responsibility in Gotham City. Batman is an extension of that too."

Scott Snyder is saying that Geri Powers is not a villain, though. Of course that could be a misidrection, so we'll see!

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Scott Snyder is saying that Geri Powers is not a villain, though. Of course that could be a misidrection, so we'll see!
    I'm thinking it could be a misdirection as well. It's too coincidental that she shares a last name with the head of the Court of Owls and if Snyder admitted she was a villain at this point it would take the punch out of a reveal later if she is one.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Didn't feel this at all, felt too forced and wasn't really fun at all.