Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdmorris1124 View Post
    I think his run will extend past 9 issues. I know 9 issues takes us to #50 when Bruce will most likely come back but him and Capullo have said on record in recent interviews that they still have more in the tank after the Gordon-Bats run.
    I wonder if the team will continue writing Bruce especially since Snyder stated that the Bruce they wrote from issue one's story ended with Endgame

Astonishing Member

I'm totally into the premise. Now we'll see if Snyder can tell a good story with it.

My rational hatred of monologue boxes is lessened when it's a known commodity like Gordon using them instead of a man of action and mystery like Bruce. Plus if Snyder's gotta crib Year One elements, Gordon narration is the way to go I think. I also like the narrative continuity/linkages to certain aspects of Batman Incorporated (metamaterials, exotic cutting edge crazy stuff, corporatized Batman), to Snyder's earlier run (Gordon being the only cop willing to play with Dick's WayneTech Lab, now he's the cop willing to play with Powers' Bat-project) and just the heavy emphasis on the GCPD, finally, because if Greg Rucka taught us anything 10 years ago, it's that Gotham cops are the more interesting characters to follow, while using Batman as a mysterious figure who intrudes into their lives.

And oh look, who's that mysterious figure on the last page?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'm totally into the premise. Now we'll see if Snyder can tell a good story with it.

My rational hatred of monologue boxes is lessened when it's a known commodity like Gordon using them instead of a man of action and mystery like Bruce. Plus if Snyder's gotta crib Year One elements, Gordon narration is the way to go I think. I also like the narrative continuity/linkages to certain aspects of Batman Incorporated (metamaterials, exotic cutting edge crazy stuff, corporatized Batman), to Snyder's earlier run (Gordon being the only cop willing to play with Dick's WayneTech Lab, now he's the cop willing to play with Powers' Bat-project) and just the heavy emphasis on the GCPD, finally, because if Greg Rucka taught us anything 10 years ago, it's that Gotham cops are the more interesting characters to follow, while using Batman as a mysterious figure who intrudes into their lives.
    this is exactly how I've felt and part of the reason I've disliked Snyder's run w/ Bruce so much. It's also a reason why I'm digging this first Gordon issue and am actually excited to read Batman for the first time in a long time!
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    Except Snyder went out of his way to say in an interview: "Yeah, I want to say upfront: Geri Powers is not a mustache-twirling villain. To me, Geri is someone who has the best of intentions. She believes, like Jim, that the city needs a Batman, and also like Jim, that Batman needs a system of checks and balances. She just believes that having someone out there, masked and unidentified, waging a private war, is just wrong. And will hurt people.

This isn’t Robocop. He’s not a privatized policeman. For her, the Batman is a personal project subsidized by the government. The people who need to know who Batman is, know. Funding can be pulled from it. The company itself is responsible for Batman. The idea is also that he works with the police, so he’s subject to police review and all of this stuff.

It’s not that they created their own Batman to be an arm of private sector business. She truly believes, as did Bruce Wayne, that these companies need to be sources of economic responsibility in Gotham City. Batman is an extension of that too."
    Well, of course Geri Powers isn't a mustache-twirling villain...because being a woman, she doesn't have a mustache.

But in all seriousness, I'm sure Snyder's description of her having the best of intentions is accurate, but let's remember...everyone sees themselves as the hero of their own story, including the villain. In fact, there are some villains who, from their point-of-view, so sincerely believe that what they're doing is for the greater good. And if Geri Powers is indeed part of the same Powers family that was the head of the Court of Owls, then lets not forget that, as far as the Court of Owls is concerned, they are also protecting Gotham, who thought Batman should mind his own business. Here we have a possible scenario in which, perhaps, a faction of the Court of Owls, or the Court of Owl themselves, are thinking, "What a sec? If Batman is dead and he's turned out to be a rallying symbol for the people of Gotham, we can totally use that to our advantage." Also, I can't help but notice how Snyder in that interview is comparing and contrasting Geri Powers with Bruce Wayne, saying they have similar beliefs with one exception, which in turns makes her drastically different from him on a fundamental and philosophical level. Let's not forget Batman's rogues do tend to be a dark reflection of various aspects of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Scott Snyder is saying that Geri Powers is not a villain, though. Of course that could be a misidrection, so we'll see!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'm thinking it could be a misdirection as well. It's too coincidental that she shares a last name with the head of the Court of Owls and if Snyder admitted she was a villain at this point it would take the punch out of a reveal later if she is one.
    Exactly! Her having the surname "Powers" could very well be a big red flag, not just because it references the Court of Owls, but also Batman Beyond. And as I'm suggesting, everything Snyder is saying about Geri Powers could have some substance of truth, but also wind up being half-true for the sake of his story, as she may have ulterior motives for wanting a Batman with "checks and balances."
    Last edited by stillanerd; 06-10-2015 at 07:22 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Geri Powers is a head of a corporation she is not a member of law enforcement. Her appropriation of Batman and aquisition of Wayne enterprises is pretty much setting her up in an antagonistic light.
    She's a member of one of the incredibly corrupt families that was ruining gotham. Maybe she means well but ultimately the idea of Batman needing to be held accountable for the things he does is silly. Gotham is a corrupt city and is full of corrupt officials should Batman be under their thumb?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    ultimately the idea of Batman needing to be held accountable for the things he does is silly.
    Think about what you're saying here. Realistically, figures like Batman do need to be held to some degree of accountability. What if Batman, say, raped a small child? Should he be held accountable then? The answer is yes. And I know you're thinking "oh, he would never do that" and you're right, he wouldn't, but he very well could, at which point he should damn well have to answer to someone. I'm sick of this mentality of "oh, Bruce should be able to break any local, state, federal, or international law and face no repercussions whatsoever."

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Great first issue with Jim. I really like the suit, it suits Jim really well. Ms. Powers seems all nice right now but she's a Powers, so I am sure she has darker, ulterior motives.

I enjoyed how Jim used his detective skills, just goes to show you why he's the most competent Commissioner Gotham has ever had.

Julia being on the inside is great. She is my favorite non-hero/masked bat-family member right now. She's so awesome. Probably the most lasting addition Snyder will have made to the Bat mythos.

Bruce is alive, we all saw that coming. The question is - why is he lying low?

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Exactly! Her having the surname "Powers" could very well be a big red flag, not just because it references the Court of Owls, but also Batman Beyond. And as I'm suggesting, everything Snyder is saying about Geri Powers could have some substance of truth, but also wind up being half-true for the sake of his story, as she may have ulterior motives for wanting a Batman with "checks and balances."
    The thing is, it would be really bad story telling if she did end up a bad guy, considering half the fanbase is already like look: Powers family, Batman Beyond, Court of Owls, EVIL corporation!!!! It's just about the most obvious move possible, it would be incredibly boring and if that is the climax, it's a waste of everybody's time because that isn't something anyone needs the "World's Greatest Detective" to solve, it's something that was on the radar for most fans who heard Snyder talk about this storyline months before it ever hit shelves.
    A more interesting story would be that she isn't out to use the new Batman for anything other than the good of Gotham, and an honest examination of what that means for Bruce, Jim, Gotham and whether that changes how Bruce, Jim and Gotham view the Batman and how the Batman does his job. This avenue in my mind allows for a story with complexity, an examination of the hero and his city, the man behind the mask, etc.
    If Geri Powers is a baddie, I'd honestly be really disappointed in Snyder, even if it does give a wink and a nod to previous stories, it's just lazy.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    The thing is, it would be really bad story telling if she did end up a bad guy, considering half the fanbase is already like look: Powers family, Batman Beyond, Court of Owls, EVIL corporation!!!! It's just about the most obvious move possible, it would be incredibly boring and if that is the climax, it's a waste of everybody's time because that isn't something anyone needs the "World's Greatest Detective" to solve, it's something that was on the radar for most fans who heard Snyder talk about this storyline months before it ever hit shelves.
    A more interesting story would be that she isn't out to use the new Batman for anything other than the good of Gotham, and an honest examination of what that means for Bruce, Jim, Gotham and whether that changes how Bruce, Jim and Gotham view the Batman and how the Batman does his job. This avenue in my mind allows for a story with complexity, an examination of the hero and his city, the man behind the mask, etc.
    If Geri Powers is a baddie, I'd honestly be really disappointed in Snyder, even if it does give a wink and a nod to previous stories, it's just lazy.
    You can do both stories at once. Remember, one person's necessary and proper is another man's tyranny. I think it is more important to have a discussion of police tactics, police weaponry and the privatization of policing and the effects that has on a community (especially poor communities). Bat Cop is a huge step up in terms of the militarization, and therefore escalation, of the police force as whole. Ms. Powers can have all the good intentions she wants but that isn't going to make the poor Gothomites feel safe when Bat Cop rolls around with his advanced, near unstoppable, tech.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    You can do both stories at once. Remember, one person's necessary and proper is another man's tyranny. I think it is more important to have a discussion of police tactics, police weaponry and the privatization of policing and the effects that has on a community (especially poor communities). Bat Cop is a huge step up in terms of the militarization, and therefore escalation, of the police force as whole. Ms. Powers can have all the good intentions she wants but that isn't going to make the poor Gothomites feel safe when Bat Cop rolls around with his advanced, near unstoppable, tech.
    That's slightly problematic, as Batman if dealt with honestly (which I doubt happens for reasons of in-universe logic and suspension of disbelief) probably doesn't come out looking better. Functionally Bat Cop and Batman only differ by slight degrees. Militarization and tech levels aren't actually too different, Bruce has rolled through neighbourhoods for years in a car that is essentially a tank and thrown on mech suits whenever he felt the need. Hell, he's had bat bunkers all over the city stocked full of military grade tech. Batman has been using military grade technology inside the city for years, not to mention his invasive surveillance across the city.
    Tactics and privatization of policing is where Bat Cop would actually probably come out looking better, Bat Cop is at least answerable to checks and balances he can't go around breaking bones and violating rights of criminals for information, Snyder is painting this as a Batman that works within the system.
    The way Snyder speaks about his view of the situation, this isn't privatization of policing, he specifically said that. Bruce fully privatized his war on crime using his wealth to be a masked vigilante, at least with Jim behind the cowl there is government oversight. If the populace really felt Bat Cop was going over the line, the mayor could say to his electorate that Bat Cop will face charges, we know who he is and we can put him in front of a judge. Bruce is never going to be answerable to anyone but himself, which would worry me as a Gothamite because he's a crazy man who dresses like a bat and likes to beat people up!

A very fun read. Gordon will make a good Batman. His ideal is at the right place and intends to be a Batman who is accountable. But of course, this being a comic will show that Batman needs to be more than that. He works outside the law but yet is incorruptible, requiring extraordinary man like Bruce Wayne to do it. Until Bruce coming back, we can enjoy Gordon's take. I'm surprised to see him got really ripped for the Batman role. I thought there's the armor because Gordon is not so good physically wise. A buff Gordon looks really awkward to me. I hope he will not be doing outlandish actions without the armor.

The color swapping pages have me rolling, same goes to the Robobat-bunny comment.

A good start to a fun replacement Batman arc. I think the cliffhanger's a red herring. They can't have Bruce back being so soon right? Then again, it sorta happened to Superior Spider-Man as well

Great read. Capullo continues to impress. This guy is the Neal Adams of our generation.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Really great issue. The Robobat suit looks great in action and his traditional batsuit looks great as well. Once again the art is some of the best in the business (was not bothered by Sawyers look at all). The "slap an ad on it" was great, as was Gordon's narration. Really interested to see where the last page reveal goes. I'm thinking amnesia might be too obvious a choice, but I guess we will find out next month.

Team Batman with yet another Home Run.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Great read. Capullo continues to impress. This guy is the Neal Adams of our generation.
    YES, this. I sometimes look for somebody i like better, ive yet to find them.

This reminded me more of a Superman comic than of a Batman comic, but it was okay.

Even the villain was kinda Supey.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.