Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Even though Synder acknowledges what a ridiculous concept Gordon as Batman is in the book it doesn't make it any more enjoyable. Self awareness of the silly doesn't make it ok somehow. I wanted to give this a chance as I really enjoyed Superior Spider-Man despite also not being interested in its premise but none of this felt right to me. I couldn't buy Jim agreeing to be Batman, agreeing to wear a costume. Any of it. If anything throughout the years I've felt the reason Jim allowed Batman to operate is because he realizes he's effective. He's effective because he's not tied to the police force. Making him a part of the establishment doesn't work because he manages to be effective by staying above them. Even if the payoff of this run is Gordon and the GCPD coming to that conclusion its going to feel hollow because its something they should known already by now.

BANNED

I've read all the Snyder / Capullo bat-arcs except Endgame (waiting for the trade, but I may have to break down and get the digital issues). When I heard about this concept, I rolled my eyes, but after seeing some preview pages, I knew I had to check it out.

I'm glad I did. I really love the vibe, and it seems like they're doing this whole-heartedly. Great art as always and a clever script by Snyder. The Batsuits look great.

I did think it was a little coincidental that Gordon name-checks the baseball player early on in the issue that ends up being involved with the villain. And the energy monster itself didn't do a lot for me. But everything else was top-notch.

I am super-tired of replacement hero stories (I thought Superior SM was absolute ****), but I'm excited to see where this one goes.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    (I thought Superior SM was absolute ****)
    Blasphemy! That was the best Spider-Man story arc in years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Blasphemy! That was the best Spider-Man story arc in years.
    That's not saying a whole lot. Spider-man is my favorite character of all time and the main title has been weak for years.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Haha!! The have page ad mock was hilarious!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I haven't enjoyed Snyder's Batman for some time now and had zero interest in seeing Gordon in a bat-suit but have to admit I really, really enjoyed this issue and look forward to the next.

I wish I could keep the artist and change the writer. Just can't get into snyder. It is fun to say Gorbat in my head though.

i thought this was a whole lotta meh

i don't get the "3 weeks ago" 2"months ago" crap that writers use to split the narrative, it rarely accomplishes anything

Also loved how accurately Cap simulated the transparency of the energy beast, colors were masterful too. Batman is one of the few books that legitimately DOES look better and better each month

Astonishing Member

The comic book shop I go to got extra copies on top of the usual and sold out of them all. I thought this was a very fun read. Lol at the colour schemes especially a welcome Zur-en-Arrh return!

Crackpot theory. Mr Bloom is Harper Row's dad. If I'm right, quote this when it's revealed! If I'm wrong, well then yeah I'm wrong, forget about it :P
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

I hate to be the Debbie Downer here since I have absolutely LOVED Snyder and Capullo's run on this series but I felt like this issue was very forgettable for me. I have no desire to re-read this and overall, I just don't care about Gordon as Batman. I'm not going to drop the title as I still feel like this is one of the best books on the stands, but it was just not very good to me.
    My Top 5 Comic Books I am reading are:

1. Velvet
    2. Black Magick
    3. Kill or Be Killed
    4. Lazarus
    5. The Fix

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Geek View Post
    I hate to be the Debbie Downer here since I have absolutely LOVED Snyder and Capullo's run on this series but I felt like this issue was very forgettable for me. I have no desire to re-read this and overall, I just don't care about Gordon as Batman. I'm not going to drop the title as I still feel like this is one of the best books on the stands, but it was just not very good to me.
    Same here.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Read it....it sucked. I hope this doesn't last long.

Good Morning Gotham. There is a new Batman in the city and slowly it unveils the reasons that prompted him to accept the job. First observation, the "Bat-Bunny" aspect is secondary. So much so that one wonders how it was wise at this point to insist on this angle in the FCBD. No, the new Batman is more natural than that, with a character who is training to succeed the vigilante while recognizing that it is not up to par. Hence this armor / vehicle that is more Japanese mecha. From there, Snyder made us an overview of the (new) owner, showing us what happened to some secondary characters, how they find a place on the new chessboard. Snyder establishes new rules of the game, although already the interest is to ask how it happens, at a time when another to put toys in place.

We are offered a narrative that fully assumes a meta hand, it seems that often we break the fourth wall and behind a weak side assumed the way there are more. For whatever may be said to have made the new Batman Jim Gordon offers very interesting opportunities. A Batman trained and paid by the police, but it would not just Robocop this? It would not be a criticism of a society to fliquée draconian ideals? If there is no need for making science po to understand the text in it has the merit to be present and to ask real questions.
    Gordon's doubts, his complicity with his colleague Harvey Bullock it shows that good. Especially when drawing Capullo, in these intimate moments reveals brilliant and reminds nostalgic duo Sam and Twitch in Spawn. It forces the hand of a little Gordon, it is considered somewhat as a savior of a city in distress without his hero, everything sounds right. His reaction when he discovers the armor and ours and there will be a lot of good ideas. The story is constructed in the form of round trips present / past that keep coming smoothly as usual screenwriter. This is also a little too abusing his usual narrative style. Certainly everything is introductory but on building even that clearly lacks audacity. Maybe there was too it in the comments. The latter, however, the contrary view exchanged here and there on forums does not seem to me to be in the reference as some claim. We can see from afar some ideas repeatedly in Morrison, come on, I concede. The action scenes and moments with the team what Batman are Dantesque. And expect to have a surprise or two well-chosen.

Greg Capullo, drawing, is still in excellent shape, except that under the boards, it's hard to know if the armor is supposed to be thick, massive, or whether it is "close body ", visual shortcuts are not managed in the same way. Can be released by the new context, the artist in their heart's content, however, amid explosive colors in the same spirit as Year Zero. This Batman # 41 is generally a good surprise. I expected something excessive, overacting ... The only little bad taste in my opinion, is when the new hero, wishing mean respect, hand in military fashion hi ... which does not seem to me "him" , former military career or not. But reading is very nice final.