Quote Originally Posted by skrilmps View Post
Hi Pledge, thanks for the reply. It sounds like you have a good reading project underway! I too have undertaken something similar with literature. And speaking of Lovecraft, I went on an HPL reading binge a few years back and found myself wanting to know (as I often do, apparently) who and what his inspirations were. I then found myself reading Poe. And next, who were Poe's inspirations? And so on and so forth.

I think it's a very worthwhile enterprise to seek out and understand the influences of the works that you admire. Everything and everyone was influenced by something that came before. By seeking out and studying those influences I think it gives us a better sense of perspective and appreciation for the things we enjoy. At its heart it's essentially a study of history, and I think anyone benefits from the study of history, whether it's the history of literature, the history of comics, or the history of anything else.

Happy reading!
Thanks man. I'm already eyeing Poe now that I've read a few Lovecraft stories haha! Totally agree with you on the study of history...I never realised until recently how enamoured I am with it..all these years I thought I hated it due to my school's curriculum being steeped in tedious wars and politics. I don't know about you, but sometimes it can feel a little isolating learning about these things while everyone else is engrossed in the modern day stuff. After really getting into something, I often have the need to find people to talk about it with...kinda hard when nobody knows what the heck you're talking about lol. Thank god for forums :P