Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Default Starfire #1 Preview/Discussion

Preview time!

Besides some pages being out of order apparently, the comic reads pretty good and I'm looking forward to reading it this week.

Also, Starfire is adorable here.

Pages seem out of order. Other than that, it was fun, and the art style really flows. The dynamic with that sheriff should be enjoyable. My one nitpick is that she does seem a bit too naive, as she has been on Earth for a few years. But whatever, it's not like her New 52 history is worth recalling. Wouldn't mind if her history with the "not" Teen Titans was referenced in some way, but I remember that Conner and Palmiotti said that they wanted to respect her NTT roots.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

The art is so beautiful. Will try this one.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

My God, that art! Emmanuella Lupachino is fast becoming one of my favorite artists!

The story looks fun and thoroughly enjoyable. I still see elements of Kori's "sexpot" personality, but combined with her adorable awkwardness from the animated series. I'm not a fan of animated Kori, but this portrayal looks like the best of both worlds.

I'm going to be buying this book for as long as it lasts. I hope that's going to be a very long time.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    My God, that art! Emmanuella Lupachino is fast becoming one of my favorite artists!

The story looks fun and thoroughly enjoyable. I still see elements of Kori's "sexpot" personality, but combined with her adorable awkwardness from the animated series. I'm not a fan of animated Kori, but this portrayal looks like the best of both worlds.

I'm going to be buying this book for as long as it lasts. I hope that's going to be a very long time.
    The Kori here is very much like the one that was in the pre-New 52 universe with her warrior tendencies dialed down immensely. That's not a bad thing.

This looks absolutely amazing. The art, the writing, all of it. I'm quite looking forward to it and I hope it does extremely well-- Kori is a popular character so I can definitely see it lasting.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Um. The art on this is amazing of course but Kori seems to be written as being extremely naïve here so much so that it feels forced to me. My interest in this has just taken a nosedive. I found that naivety to be granting in the TT cartoon and it's grating here as well. Clearly this is not a book for me but that's okay. Plenty of other books out there. Hope the rest of you enjoy it and that it does well.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Um. The art on this is amazing of course but Kori seems to be written as being extremely naïve here so much so that it feels forced to me. My interest in this has just taken a nosedive. I found that naivety to be granting in the TT cartoon and it's grating here as well. Clearly this is not a book for me but that's okay. Plenty of other books out there. Hope the rest of you enjoy it and that it does well.
    This is my issue with this as well. They seem to be writing the series like she just got to Earth...but hasn't she been here for a good while? She's been hanging out with Roy and Jason for at least a couple of years plus she was here before that. So why is she not aware of currency of how to gain money and all the things that go along with that? A little too Teen Titans Go! for me. I will at least give it an issue or two simply for Emanuella Lupichino's art (sorry if I butchered that.)

It's for the best they drop the Outlaws version and just start fresh with the character in my opinion. It is part of the story > continuity thing. They want a big part of the story to be her adapting to how life on Earth works and that whole concept is broken if they write her like she has been here for years. I mean the Harley Quinn that appeared before the Harley in her solo book is vastly different to the one in her solo now. So I think this is just them breaking down the character to her base parts and building a fun story around that.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This is my issue with this as well. They seem to be writing the series like she just got to Earth...but hasn't she been here for a good while? She's been hanging out with Roy and Jason for at least a couple of years plus she was here before that. So why is she not aware of currency of how to gain money and all the things that go along with that? A little too Teen Titans Go! for me. I will at least give it an issue or two simply for Emanuella Lupichino's art (sorry if I butchered that.)
    Yes, she's been on Earth a good long while and yet never even learned the basics. Give me a break. It's especially glaring when the preview of Red Hood/Arsenal makes mention of her having been part of that group, which makes it a bit more difficult to reconcile the two. Maybe she's playing up her naivety for the benefit of the locals so she seems less threatening to them or something. In any case I'm not interested in reading a book about Kori appearing to act like her cartoon version self because I really didn't care for that version before and I care even less for it now. The art is certainly nice but I can't justify buying it just for that.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-09-2015 at 07:19 AM.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It's for the best they drop the Outlaws version and just start fresh with the character in my opinion. It is part of the story > continuity thing. They want a big part of the story to be her adapting to how life on Earth works and that whole concept is broken if they write her like she has been here for years. I mean the Harley Quinn that appeared before the Harley in her solo book is vastly different to the one in her solo now. So I think this is just them breaking down the character to her base parts and building a fun story around that.
    Yeah, yeah story>continuity is the reason for that. (I hope that doesn't grow to become the go to excuse that is thrown at people when they don't like something that someone else does.) Now a lot of the time I can roll with changes but this one is just too much like a version of the character that I didn't care for and not enough like the character I had come to like. I don't find it to be a very balanced portrayal of her character because the writers seem to be concentrating too much on that one aspect. It makes Kori seem to be a one dimensional character when she is far from that. Even if I treated this Kori as a completely clean slated new character I still find her naivety to be overdone and the dialog still comes across as grating to me. In any case it's just my opinion and others have expressed the opposite
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-08-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I love the art, and the story is fine. But it kinda bothers me how naive they made her, like they are trying to hard to make her like the cartoon starfire, which to be honest is my least favorite starfire. I am in for the first arc least, cause I love the character. But I hope they make her less naive. Like I mean, Starfire would know what a Bank is...right? Haha. This is my opinion of course, if you loved the TT cartoon, I bet you will love this. But to each there own. The writing is good, art is good, story is good. Just not my kinda starfire based on this preview. But like I said, I am in for the first arc.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 06-08-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I was introduced to Starfire through the cartoon, and became a big fan of the character from her portrayal there, so seeing some aspects of that portrayal in this is perfectly fine by me. It also seems to harken more towards her pre-Flashpoint self as well, which I can also get behind .

Though so far she seems more "naive alien girl" than hedonist, which Conner and Palimotti acknowledged they'd be using in her characterization, so interested to see how that will show up in the book. I recall traces of it being in the preview.

I can get the complaints about her being too naive considering her history on Earth, but I thought it worked well in those pages and for the fun tone the book is going for .

And that art is awesome .

I like the naive and sweeter Starfire, but she was a little too childish here IMO. There needs to be a right balance. Im optimistic they'll find it, and the arts pretty. I don't mind one bit though that they're more or less ignoring RHatO. I think thats the right move. Character doesn't need that baggage, especially when it was quite frankly not good. Better to just make this more or less a brand new start for her and allow people to just forget RHatO.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-09-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I like the naive and sweeter Starfire, but she was a little too childish here IMO. There needs to be a right balance. Im optimistic they'll find it, and the arts pretty. I don't mind one bit though that they're more or less ignoring RHatO. I think thats the right move. Character doesn't need that baggage, especially when it was quite frankly just not good. Better to just make this more or less a brand new start for her and allow people to just forget RHatO.
    I'm sure they will find a balance eventually as you say but unfortunately right now it looks more like they are overplaying that naivety in order to distance themselves from what went on before which I find to be a disservice to the character. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve that distance without resorting to having a character do a seeming 180 in characterization. Surely there are more creative and interesting ways to achieve that distance then this.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-08-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

She's acting too much like cartoon Starfire and I absolutely hated the Teen Titans show. The art is amazing but if Starfire continues on with this characterization I won't be able to stick with it.