Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I think I need to revisit that run at some point. I remember being disappointed when it first came out, but that was probably had more to do with unrealistic expectations because it was from two of my favorite creators of all-time. I do know there's three tpbs of the series, but Chaykin is only the artist for the first volume, if I'm not mistaken.
    The art duties do change hands, but they're still very competent hands.

I may like it too much, but it just struck me, even at the time, as such a smart, solid book, and visually, in terms of pacing and balance, what "comics should look like in the future." Even the backgrounds and architecture was amazingly thought out.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Always Rakzo

William Messner-Loebs' run on The Flash was way better than Waid's. More consistent in the overall quality, better character work, much more progressive in what it tried to establish and it actually created many of the things that Waid is often credited for.

I also think that Dan Jurgens' run on Bearded Aquaman was better than Peter David's. David might have been more creative but he goes so overboard with his humour and badass moments that it's hard to take even the serious moments seriously. Jurgens on the other hand went for a more natural route and created quite intriguing conflicts for Orin. I would say that David's run looks much more dated now in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I prefer Millar's run on The Authority to Ellis's
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    As do I .
    So do I. Ellis established the direction of the title but Millar pretty much perfected it by being more creative, bold and energetic, it was the best era of the book.

Although I would argue that Ellis' run isn't more popular than Millar's.

Fantastic Member

I think Dan Jurgens run on Superman was far superior to John Byrnes. Jurgens helped expand the mythos a great deal and had some amazing story lines.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Archie Goodwin put together a beautiful run on Detective Comics, when it was an anthology 100 pager. Simonson, Adams, Toth... great original comics and wonderful reprint selections. Manhunter gets its love, sure, but those issues were a total package of glory every time.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 06-09-2015 at 07:51 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I think I need to revisit that run at some point. I remember being disappointed when it first came out, but that was probably had more to do with unrealistic expectations because it was from two of my favorite creators of all-time. I do know there's three tpbs of the series, but Chaykin is only the artist for the first volume, if I'm not mistaken.
    That's right. I think Howard drew the first 7 issues, and there were several artists afterwards during the rest of the run.

- John Ney Rieber and Peter Gross runs on Books of Magic over Gaiman's mini. These are some of my favorite comics ever.
    - Moench/Jones Batman run over the O'Neil run.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Although I would argue that Ellis' run isn't more popular than Millar's.
    Really? Ellis's is the run I hear about all of the time - and it was a huge deal a the time.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

well I will say that I preferred the Mike Carey Hellblazer to the Brian Azzarello Hellblazer that preceded it, and I preferred the Andy Diggle Hellblazer to the Peter Milligan Hellblazer that followed it.

There are also some elements of the Paul Jenkins Hellblazer run that I preferred to more popular Garth Ennis run, although I like them both, like the art
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 06-10-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Some might be tired of hearing this from me, but I still contend that Bill Messner-Loebs' Wonder Woman is just as good (if not better in some aspects) as the classic George Perez run that preceded it.

Loebs was hindered by atrocious art for much of his run, but it makes for a great read through. He set out to make Diana more human, and he achieved that (with more than just the infamous Taco Whiz issue!). There is also a clear beginning, middle, and end to his arc.

I think maybe Perez stayed a little too long, and his stories started to feel repetitive toward the end. He also had some bad art thrown in there (Marrinan?! Blegh), but people tend to forget that because the issues he penciled himself were so great.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    [B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR="#FF0000"]well I will say that I preferred the Mike Carey Hellblazer to the Brian Azzarello Hellblazer that preceded it, and I preferred the Andy Diggle Hellblazer to the Peter Milligan Hellblazer that followed it.
    The Azzarello and Milligan runs aren't as liked as some of the other ones.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Simonson View Post
    That's right. I think Howard drew the first 7 issues, and there were several artists afterwards during the rest of the run.
    Joe Bennett did a brief stint following Chaykin. I remember that very clearly, because I love Bennett's art and was totally psyched to see him draw Hawkgirl again. I can't remember who finished it off following him, and I'm too lazy to go look now. And you're right, Walt, Hawkgirl is collected in its entirety in three separate trades.

As to the topic at hand: I much prefer Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti's run on Hawkman Volume 4 to Geoff Johns's. Hawkman and Hawkgirl both came across as stronger, more confident characters right from the get-go, and by the end of the run they were in an absolutely fantastic place. It also doesn't hurt that they happened to pen one of my favorite single Hawkman issues of all time with #32 during their run.

Nice topic, by the way, t hedge coke.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Gerard Jones/Ron Marz GL >> Geoff Johns GL

Peter Milligan Justice League Dark >> Geoff Johns/Morrison's Justice League

Ann Nocetis' Daredevil over Frank Miller's

Ok it's Marvel but whatever..
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 06-10-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Perez, Jimenez and Rucka over Azzarello on Wonder Woman.

Englehart/Rogers and Batman Adventures over Morrison on Batman.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    well I will say that I preferred the Mike Carey Hellblazer to the Brian Azzarello Hellblazer that preceded it, and I preferred the Andy Diggle Hellblazer to the Peter Milligan Hellblazer that followed it.

There are also some elements of the Paul Jenkins Hellblazer run that I preferred to more popular Garth Ennis run, although I like them both, like the art
    Diggle's run is the third best HB run for me after Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis. Paul Jenkins' run is fourth. I flip-flop over Azz and Carey, but I think I've come to appreciate Azz' run more over the years. (Carey has Leo Manco, though.) I think you need to divide Milligan's run into pre-"India" and post-"India"-- pre-"India" and during it, Cammicoli was drawing John using magic with Dr. Strange hand gestures like it was some innate power. That disappeared post-"India", and the stories got a lot stronger.

Carey has Leo Manco, though.
    Only the last 16 issues of Carey's run. Before that it was Marcelo Frusin (his art felt a bit sloppier than when he illustrated Azzarello's run) and Steve Dillon and Lee Bermejo occasionally.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 06-10-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    BB