Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I prefer Cary Bates' fifteen year run on THE FLASH (1970-1985, and yes, even the infamous TRIAL storyline) to the more acclaimed runs that came before and after his.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I like Rick Veitch run on Swamp Thing and I prefer Delano's Animal Man to Morrison's.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I'm a big fan of Joe Kelly's JLA, which I contend to be just as good as Grant Morrison's. Unfortunately Mark Waid's brief run left no impression.

People only seem to talk about the Alan Moore written Swamp Thing, but I would argue that Swamp Thing as a character has had a much more consistent publishing history than almost any other character.

The original Swamp Thing comics by Wein, Michelinie, and Conway had a childlike creativity to them that was boosted by the wonderful talents of Wrightson and Redondo.

Martin Pasco wrote some really fun adventure stories that followed the tone of the 70s Swamp Thing comics, and even managed to be genuinely scary once and a while. Tom Yeates continues the trend of great artists on Swamp Thing.

I content to this day that Rick Veitch's Swamp Thing is just as good as Moore's, even though it's a completely different animal, being much more serialized, fast paced, and connected to the DC Universe.

Another character with consistently good comics is Animal Man. Grant Morrison and Jamie Delano's runs are great of course, but I consider Peter Milligan's six issue arc from 27-32 to be the best Animal Man story ever. Tom Veitch's Animal Man was schlocky fun.

I think Jamie Delano might be the most underrated of the British Invasion writers. Most people dismiss him as too wordy, which is a shame because he had the ability to get under your skin better than anybody.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 03-31-2022 at 07:53 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I think Jamie Delano might be the most underrated of the British Invasion writers. Most people dismiss him as too wordy, which is a shame because he had the ability to get under your skin better than anybody.
    Completely agree. Delano's Animal Man and Hellblazer are my favorite runs on those respective characters; I don't think I've read anything from him that I didn't like, if not love.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Completely agree. Delano's Animal Man and Hellblazer are my favorite runs on those respective characters; I don't think I've read anything from him that I didn't like, if not love.
    This, 100%.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Retired

The original run of SWAMP THING is also my favourite run of the character. And really, up until the Alan Moore run started to gain interest, that was the run that every fan talked about. There were DC SPECIAL SERIES reprints of the Wrightson run from 1977 to 1980 and those were again collected in the 1986 ROOTS OF THE SWAMP THING series.

As for the Rick Veitch SWAMP THING, I loved that a lot, but I could not tell you where the Alan Moore issues ended and the Veitch issues began--one flowed into the other and I didn't see a change in direction or quality.

I began buying WONDER WOMAN regularly with the Bob Kanigher/Ric Estrada return issues--the issues just before Julie Schwartz took over and began the 12 Trials--and I loved those comics. They were actually rehashes of stories from the late 1940s/early 1950s and I was hungry for that kind of content at the time. I only bought the earlier Sekowsky issues and Kanigher's earlier return issues later on. The problem with the return is in those first few issues (pre-Estrada)--while they might introduce Nubia, they don't respect anything that Sekowsky or other creators did, so that's why they have a bad taste.

I liked the Eric Luke run of WONDER WOMAN. In terms of that era of Wonder Woman, for me, it goes Luke/Byrne (both about the same), then Messner-Loeb, then Perez, then way down for Jimenez.

I also think the John Byrne run on JACK KIRBY'S FOURTH WORLD was one of the better treatments of the New Gods not done by Kirby himself.

Marty Pasko's run on SUPERMAN is one of my favourite all time Superman runs.

Mike Friedrich's JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA is the run that got me interested in the group and is pretty much tied with Gardner Fox and Steve Englehart for my favourite.

Let's see. Giffen and DeMatties, of course, put the Justice League back on the map again after the JLDetroit era, but I really liked Dan Jurgens' hardly as long JLA run that came right after it. It reinserted Superman and Wonder Woman back into the League and, not quite successfully, tried to return the League to it's major DC team status. Grant Morrison was the one that later actually did that. Sadly, Dan Vado's follow up run wasn't quite as good, and Gerard Jones was terrible. Leaving Morrison to pick up the pieces again.
    Wolfman and Perez and Geoff Johns get all the glory when it comes to the Titans, but I really liked Devin Grayson's take on it. It introduced a couple of new threats that, unfortunately, didn't quite stick, and moved foward with the team and it's new relationships. Unfortunately, Jay Faeber's, though it seemed to start strong (and it had beautiful Barry Kitson art) dropped the ball, not living up to it's potential and overdoing quite a bit the drama. It also left so many plot threads dangling, that no one ever wanted to pick up again. I'm also a huge fan of Jurgens' Teen Titans.
    After Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke left JLA, it went adrift for quite a while. I was very excited when Kurt Busiek and Ron Garney started on the book, and it was rumored that they would be the new regular team. Sadly, it turned out to be just an eight issue story arc (Syndicate Rules, which is still among my top ten favorite League stories ever), and the book was already on the fast track to be relaunched post-Infinite Crisis.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's run on Batman (the character, not the book) over Grant Morrison's.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.