View Poll Results: Who has the best chance of a successful on-going solo series post-SECRET WARS

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

2 1.09%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

2 1.09%
  • ICEMAN [Robert ‘Bobby’ Drake]

34 18.58%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

7 3.83%
  • KAROLINA DEAN / LIGHTSPEED [Julie Powers]

7 3.83%
  • LIVING LIGHTNING [Miguel Santos]

2 1.09%
  • THE 'MIGHTY' DESTROYER [Roger Aubrey]

2 1.09%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

60 32.79%
  • MORPH [Benjamin Deeds]

0 0%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

20 10.93%
  • POD [Aikku Jokinen]

3 1.64%
  • RAWHIDE KID [Johnny Clay]

3 1.64%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan] / HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

36 19.67%
  • OR… resurrect FREEDOM RING [Curtis Doyle] and give it to him

1 0.55%
  • OR… out MONICA RAMBEAU and give it to her

4 2.19%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    OMG Hallelujah, aja_christopher!
    For SERIOUS!
    Yeah, I really don't think Karolina is the type to leave Xavin taking responsibility for Karolina's "crimes" -- realistically, given her character, she would have left to address this a long, long, time ago.

In a perfect world, I'd have Illyana be the one to teleport them there and help them resolve the issue -- if I still wrote "fanfic" I'd be all over it, but I really have quite a few of my own LGBT characters (Skye, Niyasa, Milton, Indigo, Sylvio, Monet & Renoir, Vhei, Minal, Solace, Karina, Christine) that I need to tend to first...

...but I'd be 100% down to write a one-shot resolution of this for Marvel if the opportunity ever arose.

------

"In Runaways's "Dead Wrong" story arc, a group of surviving Majesdanians arrive to arrest Karolina. After they repeatedly attack the Runaways, Xavin realizes that the aliens won't stop until they get Karolina. Karolina apparently leaves the group with the Majesdanians, but the Runaways are later shocked to find the real Karolina knocked out. Xavin shape-shifted into Karolina's form and took her place, to take all the punishment for their species' war. Kissing Karolina, Xavin whispers her love and departs the group."

Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-18-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    After reading the Loners, I'd have to say that it was pretty inconclusive with regards to her acting and persona. It seemed like more of a "wake up" call about the industry itself (the casting couch issue especially) which is why I think Karolina would be able to offer her a lot more insight into the right way to make it in the industry, given that her parents were successful in said field.

It also only showed Julie finally realizing that she shouldn't live a lie -- but really didn't resolve anything with regards to her "coming out" -- as either bisexual (or lesbian) or as an individual who would like to be respected as much for her intellect as her appearance.
    .......Actually, that was what I was inferring to, not Julie's revelation to her sexual preferences; since that was more focused on within AVENGERS ACADEMY #23 (along with Brandon's/Striker's come to terms to his as well).

Plot-wise, I think I'd probably focus on the "cosmic" angle more than the college angle in retrospect -- the issue of Xavin (I think) still needs to be addressed, and Julie's past experience with space exploration and alien cultures makes her the perfect companion for such an adventure.
    Agree with you about wanting to learn more on Xavin's current status {following Terry Moore/Ramos' run on RUNAWAYS} as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    The only thing that I would argue is the bold part, yes it is true that they wont have a successful gay solo if they don't publish one but they has to be a reason for its success, the message I'm receiving is that well ms marvel wasn't successful until it was, the reason that ms marvel was successful was because of the creative team and the story and I suppose the artwork might help for some people. So for me any series to be successful has to have three things the right creative team to tell a engaging story, beautiful artwork to capture people and a reason for them to pick up the book wither that's a brand like ms marvel or a character that can sell like spider-man or captain America, its not like it was just suddenly successful there were reasons now the only thing that Marvel can do is try to repeat the process with a lesbian/gay character in mind.
    There is no character who with the right creative team, and right story and right catalyst, couldn't be a hit. Since this thread is about hypotheticals (because, sadly, let's be frank: Marvel ain't giving us a gay solo series anytime soon)... FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUEMENT let's assume every suggestion people make comes with the unwritten phrase: of course let's put a great creative team, fab art, and a killer story on-top of my suggested hypothetical. It really goes without saying.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-18-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    There is no character who with the right creative team, and right story and right catalyst, couldn't be a hit.
    This is what I was saying was needed for any series to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Since this thread is about hypotheticals (because, sadly, let's be frank: Marvel ain't giving us a gay solo series anytime soon)... FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUEMENT let's assume every suggestion people make comes with the unwritten phrase: of course let's put a great creative team, fab art, and a killer story on-top of my suggested hypothetical. It really goes without saying.
    Why don't you think they will give you one anytime soon, lets be honest I have dived head first into long arguments or heated discussions about the topic and you have always carried off that they were many interesting characters within Marvel that could carry a solo. The only thing that I was arguing was what you were stating as fact, mostly important the one that I had in bold, which to me said that ms marvel wasn't successful until it was and that's a fact, I would disagree they took a calculated risk with ms marvel and because of the creative team, the story, artwork and the catalyst(the ms marvel brand, I could be wrong but I think it was mentioned that it was the new ms marvel continuing the carol danvers legacy), those four things made it a success, if I'm honest I'm surprised that they aren't doing an icemen solo especially since they hyped the hell out of the fact that this was the first a lister to be outed/coming out depending on your view. There is Karolina/Lightspeed which you could use to build towards new volumes of Runaways and Power Pack respectively especially since the Power Pack kids would be older( can anyone explain that please). Now I would be a fan of the second and not the first (not an iceman fan but I really did like runaways)
    Truth is the best policy

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    True but Scarlet Witch and Blackbolt are responsible for mass genocide and they still get treated like heroes.
    We live in a world where rapist and killer are treated differently, particularly in entertainment.

Do you think, if the Punisher raped people as punishment, instead of killing, he'd have had as many successful comics and three movies, cartoon appearances, etc?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Shatterstar!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    We live in a world where rapist and killer are treated differently, particularly in entertainment.

Do you think, if the Punisher raped people as punishment, instead of killing, he'd have had as many successful comics and three movies, cartoon appearances, etc?
    I thought about that as well - which also speaks to the relative morality of the application of violence in American culture.

Punisher especially exemplifies this dynamic, and I thought they addressed that in an intersesting way on the latest Daredevil Netflix series.

Conversely, the Purple Man in Jessica Jones' series was far more sinister, especially when viewed in the context of his being defined as a rapist.

This probably explains why I have such contempt for Empath as well: death I could handle, but the idea of someone forcing me to do something against my will -- perhaps repeatedly -- does seem like it would be worse than death in many ways.

I also have to wonder if Emma hasn't engaged in similar behavior in the past (especially during her Hellfire days where she had no problem using both her powers and her sexuality to manipulate men), though I'd never think to hold her accountable for something that isn't canon.

A similar issue was brought up recently in an article when soemone pointed out that Thomas Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemmings (his slave) should be considered as rape -- not "love" as an upcoming film depicted -- which further points out the complexities regarding those whom we deem to be 'heroes' - comic or otherwise.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-19-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

You make a very good point, but I was talking about not just killing but genocide. My point was that Scarlet Witch has an ongoing series even though she's responsible for genocide and thanks to Remender she's unrepentant about it too.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    You make a very good point, but I was talking about not just killing but genocide. My point was that Scarlet Witch has an ongoing series even though she's responsible for genocide and thanks to Remender she's unrepentant about it too.
    Bear in mind that CC made it out to be that she wasn't the one that was responsible for her actions, but rather it was Doom and his manipulation and "Love" of her that made her do what she did. It was a really complex thing that was going on there.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Bear in mind that CC made it out to be that she wasn't the one that was responsible for her actions, but rather it was Doom and his manipulation and "Love" of her that made her do what she did. It was a really complex thing that was going on there.
    I don't think many people consider Doom responsible for M-Day and besides Remender pretty much guaranteed that Wanda will be viewed as irredeemable by most people who care about M-Day.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Shatterstar!
    A Rictor/Shatterstar combo book with Dani w/Valkyrie powers, Rahne, Cypher and Magma as supporting cast. Living in Madrox's bulding while he runs his detective agency.......I really just want another X-Factor run.....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    A Rictor/Shatterstar combo book with Dani w/Valkyrie powers, Rahne, Cypher and Magma as supporting cast. Living in Madrox's bulding while he runs his detective agency.......I really just want another X-Factor run.....
    I also prefer an X-factor with Multiple Man leading and we have Shatterstar, Rictor, Yukio, Gambit, Gentle (Nehzno), Rachel Grey and Firestar.

I would definitely read a rictor and Shatterstar book. And why not? If deadpool could have like, 20 serieses then they could too!

Worth bumping this thread just to observe the fact BOTH Iceman and MAC (two of the top picks in the poll) now have a solo series in the next wave of comics. SQUEAL! 2017 will be an epic year for LGBT solo comics!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Yeah, it just goes to show talking about issues helps.

Plus all the heaps of work lgbtiq and allies have done this year. Very cool stuff