View Poll Results: Who has the best chance of a successful on-going solo series post-SECRET WARS

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

2 1.09%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

2 1.09%
  • ICEMAN [Robert ‘Bobby’ Drake]

34 18.58%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

7 3.83%
  • KAROLINA DEAN / LIGHTSPEED [Julie Powers]

7 3.83%
  • LIVING LIGHTNING [Miguel Santos]

2 1.09%
  • THE 'MIGHTY' DESTROYER [Roger Aubrey]

2 1.09%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

60 32.79%
  • MORPH [Benjamin Deeds]

0 0%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

20 10.93%
  • POD [Aikku Jokinen]

3 1.64%
  • RAWHIDE KID [Johnny Clay]

3 1.64%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan] / HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

36 19.67%
  • OR… resurrect FREEDOM RING [Curtis Doyle] and give it to him

1 0.55%
  • OR… out MONICA RAMBEAU and give it to her

4 2.19%
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Oh, the irony... America was the most popular choice, and it turned out to be such a turn off for so many people. I haven't checked out the book yet and I hope I like it better than some, but yeah, it's definitely not the reaction I was expecting. Hopefully Iceman will be THE queer solo people have been waiting for.

Also, can we get a book for the next ones in the poll besides Iceman, please? There's so much potential for Wiccan and Hulkling with the established Demiurge and Space King mythologies. I don't know how no one at Marvel has thought of turning it into an epic mystical/cosmical duo book.
    it's a shame because I really like America as a character, and I do think a book with her could work, in the right hands. But the writing in the book was just.... :-/ was too fast paced, she doesn't feel like herself, the villains are cringey, etc. I just hope Marvel doesn't take away the message that people aren't responding due to the character, rather than the writing.

and yes, i would also really like a book with Billy and Teddy.

and I am still looking forward to Iceman. I think that could be a really interesting story. Again though, depends on the writing, how it's handled. I know next to nothing about the writer, so i have no idea what to expect, really. but there is a lot to explore there, and not just with him being recently outed as gay. his power levels and all that is still kinda all fuzzy, and they keep playing with the idea of him finally living up to his full potential, but never quite get there, or get there but when he's not in control. And there's still his very conservative family lurking around in the background. Lots of potential to build him up as a solo character that can stand on his own.
    Last edited by Raye; 05-02-2017 at 12:49 AM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Lots of buzz that Mar-Vell is returning soon.

That could mean some Teddy time
    Unless we get a confirmation of a serious return of Mar-Vell, I'm not getting my hopes up for that. I'm still wounded from that whole thing with Young Avengers Presents when Teddy FINALLY met Mar-Vell and they had a beautiful moment together and then they decided to retcon the whole thing and say it was just a Skrull. UGH. And then when Mar-Vell was briefly resurrected in AvX, I don't think anyone even bothered to inform Teddy.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

No, Mar-Vell needed more time with Carol to justify them giving away Teddy's legacy to her. He'd have just confused readers.....or some dumb excuse
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Mighty Member

So I'm the only one who sees storytelling/character potential in an interstellar, telepathic, warrior monk who's competitively perfectionist to a fault, ay?
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-07-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    So I'm the only one who sees storytelling/character potential in an interstellar, telepathic, warrior monk who's competitively perfectionist to a fault, ay?
    If you're talking about Moondragon, yeah, I love her and would like to see more of her. I believe a solo for the character probably wouldn't sell much, but I see no reason why Marvel shouldn't give it a shot. They have given it to stranger and more obscure characters before... If not, then I want her at least to come back in the new GOTG run. Jordan D. White has said she could maybe show up there, so fingers crossed she might be the new member.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-07-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah, going with the young lovers separated by duty angle would be neat. Start them together for the intro arc, have their storylines force them apart for one arc (because keeping them apart for too long would be cheating the audience), then bring them back together for the magical, interdimensional space opera finale.
    Lets do it, Anduinel.
    Fun casual side project to expel our creative energies into?

I'm thinking something with an Ultimates team up and maybe some Asgardian fun....and why not throw Northstar into the mix, huh?
    We could play some kind of angle with Alpha Flight? Perhaps they were called in for assistance but were otherwise engaged, so Aurora called in her brother and some other fun cameo players to assist? Maybe Noh Varr, since he knows a thing or two about being Kree.
    Perhaps some Kree Shenanigans necessitate Teddy to reunite with the Knights Infinite, and some of the Ultimates (MAC and Panther maybe?)/Northstar and Company tag along?
    Meanwhile some mystical chaos ensues amidst Asgard and Angela sends out a distress call to Wiccan, believing his moniker is still Asgardian, and some hilarity ensues about his history of adopting code name affiliations of which he does not actually belong to. Billy can fawn over teaming with she and some of the Warriors three against the Enchantress ?

A labor of love. heh.
    Last edited by Fokken; 05-17-2017 at 02:18 PM.

I think part of the tricky thing is that relative few of Marvel’s queer characters were built with solo ongoing songs mind. Most X-Men generally struggle in solos, because they were created for an ensemble. And so many of the queer characters at Marvel at X-Men, or other similar teams. Not to say that they can’t be built into a solo character if they didn’t start as one, but it just doesn’t present as clear a template for what one would be.

America deserves another shot, I think.