View Poll Results: Who has the best chance of a successful on-going solo series post-SECRET WARS

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

2 1.09%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

2 1.09%
  • ICEMAN [Robert ‘Bobby’ Drake]

34 18.58%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

7 3.83%
  • KAROLINA DEAN / LIGHTSPEED [Julie Powers]

7 3.83%
  • LIVING LIGHTNING [Miguel Santos]

2 1.09%
  • THE 'MIGHTY' DESTROYER [Roger Aubrey]

2 1.09%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

60 32.79%
  • MORPH [Benjamin Deeds]

0 0%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

20 10.93%
  • POD [Aikku Jokinen]

3 1.64%
  • RAWHIDE KID [Johnny Clay]

3 1.64%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan] / HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

36 19.67%
  • OR… resurrect FREEDOM RING [Curtis Doyle] and give it to him

1 0.55%
  • OR… out MONICA RAMBEAU and give it to her

4 2.19%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    Had to divide this into two responses:

Ones I would WANT to read: A Wiccan/Hulkling duo book or a Bloodstones siblings book (much as I like Cullen, there is no way he can carry a solo).

One that is most LIKELY to happen: A Miss America solo book. Which is fine, I just don't get the appeal of the character.
    This

I don't think I would be interested in any of the characters listed by the op going solo. I like Wiccan but I think he works best in a team like most Avengers.
    We need better comics

Forgive the derail y'all.
    America Chavez is not "More Angry Carol Danvers" any more than Anya Corazon is a "tween version of Peter Parker".

<ahem>

America Chavez is a nomadic super powered humanoid princess from a magically created parallel Utopian society existing outside of time, with super strength and speed, invulnerability, and capable of interdimensional travel by way of shattering and traversing through the walls of reality.

Carol Danvers is a human military pilot turned Alien hybrid by way of explosive-side-effect, from Earth, with super strength and speed, invulnerability, and energy manipulating powers.

Additionally, America is a completely unique entity within the whole of the Multiverse. (There aren't any alternate dimension versions floating about, like Carol)

So.

Thank you.
    Once again, forgive the derailing.
    <steps down from his 'fanboy' podium>

I also don't get the America Chavez popularity, but she's probably the most likely to sell based on her massive Internet fandom. Wiccan/Hulking could work too.

But in terms of what I personally would read? A book starring a resurrected Freedom Ring would be fun. I also would like a Julie Power/Karolina Dean book. I'd read an Iceman book too. But I'd trade it all for a book starring Phyla (R.I.P.).

I would love an American Chavez ongoing, but honestly, my favorite LGBTs in Marvel are Bisexual for the most part.

DC has them beat in cool LGBT characters.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

BANNED

Why does a gay character need a series? None of the listed characters are particularly interesting. To give them a book simply for being gay kind of defeats the purpose/point most are trying to make.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
    Why does a gay character need a series? None of the listed characters are particularly interesting. To give them a book simply for being gay kind of defeats the purpose/point most are trying to make.
    I'm going to have to agree here. The characters listed on the poll work better in a team setting. The cowboy is the only one I can see who can pull off an ongoing.

As I posted in a thread on the X-Boards, Teen Bobby seems to be the best bet to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was Kamala Khan.

He just was in the eye of a mediastorm less than a couple months back. Iceman is a fairly recognizable superhero name. Unlike Anole and Bling!, he is conventionally attractive, which let's face it, plays a part when popularity is involved. He also has that quippy, charming goofball personality which is why many folks love Peter Parker and Kamala herself.

He's basically an everyman Kevin Keller X-Man. That's a concept bursting with potential and appeal.

BANNED

While the logic of being gay should equal a solo isn't there for sure, I just took the poll as "which one would I possibly read if it were on the stands". Which isn't what the OP intended but trying to convince anyone of such would be more trouble than it's worth.

But in saying that a couple of the characters listed have the potential to be major characters with the proper handling. (Iceman, Miss America, Northstar) But you are right that most of them are not worth it.

I kind of agree with this. Wouldn't you rather read a book about a great character who happens to be gay? Rather than reading a book about a character BECAUSE they are gay? Things are better earned than given.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Mighty Member

Moondragon.

I voted for WICCAN / HULKLING to the surprise of no-one. LOL. They are my favourite couple ever, they have a lot of fans, they are famous enough and currently the Avengers best bet for including LGBT people of significance in their promos. And they are just so awesome. Between the world of magic (untapped) and the world of space (so much Kree and Skrull goodness to use) the stories really could go anywhere. Plus they'd draw on a popular supporting cast/guest stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    I like Karma, Northstar and Morph but LOLOL not happening.
    I could see Northstar (as the first openly LGBT character of mainstream comics) getting a solo, and I'd LOVE a Morph one (his power is awesome) but it's unlikely. That said, with the right writer, an espionage, infiltration comic, quirky or film noir could work for well for Morph. Boy Meets Worls meets Chinatown

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    The one I'd most like to see, and therefore less likely to happen, is Cullen Bloodstone. He's an absolute gem of a character.
    I had to kick someone off the list, and alas I picked Cullen. I wanted to include more, damn that 15 limit.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    isn't there a rumour that she (MAC) is going to get her own series?
    It is a rumour so far, Marvel hasn't confirmed it. Fingers crossed. Our first EVER lesbian on-going solo series.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I voted for Northstar, but I think Billy and Teddy would probably sell better. Miss America could be fun but only under a particularly clever writer.
    Agreed on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I picked Iceman but I don't want it to be a solo, per say. I'd rather the book be called "Icemen" and have young Bobby and adult Bobby being themselves and working out their differences while going on adventures.

LOVE IT!!! Worked so well for Hawkeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to their conversation in UXM #600, so long as it's written with respect to both characters.
    Ditto.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Prodigy should get an ongoing.

With him orking at something similar to that call center from YA#6 , except he actually goes to the field to fight ninjas, steal items from W.E.S.P.E labs, or decypher old magic books.

edit: oh sorry, I misread the purpose of the thread.

Miss America or Striker, then.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 06-09-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

The only character I could see myself buying is Chavez. I would love to see Rawhide Kid be a regular in the supposed Red Wolf book. A western with a modern sensibiility would be a great read. Rawhide Kid being Red Wolf sidekick would be a nice flip.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Wiccan, obviously.

BANNED

Meh, none of these characters seem particularly interesting in order to carry a solo. Wiccan, Hulkling and America work better in a Young Avengers book. Now, give me a Phyla-Vell/Moondragon and Daken series and I'm set.