View Poll Results: Who has the best chance of a successful on-going solo series post-SECRET WARS

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

2 1.09%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

2 1.09%
  • ICEMAN [Robert ‘Bobby’ Drake]

34 18.58%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

7 3.83%
  • KAROLINA DEAN / LIGHTSPEED [Julie Powers]

7 3.83%
  • LIVING LIGHTNING [Miguel Santos]

2 1.09%
  • THE 'MIGHTY' DESTROYER [Roger Aubrey]

2 1.09%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

60 32.79%
  • MORPH [Benjamin Deeds]

0 0%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

20 10.93%
  • POD [Aikku Jokinen]

3 1.64%
  • RAWHIDE KID [Johnny Clay]

3 1.64%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan] / HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

36 19.67%
  • OR… resurrect FREEDOM RING [Curtis Doyle] and give it to him

1 0.55%
  • OR… out MONICA RAMBEAU and give it to her

4 2.19%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Miss America is badass. I can't wait to buy her solo book

Moondragon, Destiny or America Chavez. The rest of the characters on this list (With the exception of Karma, Bling!, Iceman and Karolina) are awful and should not be anywhere near having their own solo.

I'm all for more LGBTQ coverage in the comics (Since I am a member myself), but I would like to see awesome characters that are awesome for who they are and not because of their sexuality in the comics. Now that's true LGBTQ support. (Kate Kane aka Batwoman is an example of this)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm going to have to agree here. The characters listed on the poll work better in a team setting. The cowboy is the only one I can see who can pull off an ongoing.
    Never a fan of this line of thinking.

When a character has never had an opportunity to stand alone I find it premature to say they work better in a team setting.

And establishing pre-existing characters as solo stars is not much different than creating new characters wholesale. It's only a matter of moving the characters outside of the bubbles they currently reside in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post

When a character has never had an opportunity to stand alone I find it premature to say they work better in a team setting.

And establishing pre-existing characters as solo stars is not much different than creating new characters wholesale. It's only a matter of moving the characters outside of the bubbles they currently reside in.
    And building a new bubble and direction that people can latch onto. Easier said than done. Greg Pak is an awesome writer, but he couldn't get it done with one of the most prominent X-Men characters.

That's why that line of thinking has so much traction.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    And building a new bubble and direction that people can latch onto. Easier said than done. Greg Pak is an awesome writer, but he couldn't get it done with one of the most prominent X-Men characters.

That's why that line of thinking has so much traction.
    If they had remained true to the trajectory of the character a decade ago, it would have went better.They kept her in the X-ghetto, and didnt let the character evolve outside of it. Its damn near impossible with most of the x- characters unless you go the way of Fraction and tell a more generic story that just happens to have this character in it much like Fraction did with Hawkeye.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Meh, none of these characters seem particularly interesting in order to carry a solo. Wiccan, Hulkling and America work better in a Young Avengers book. Now, give me a Phyla-Vell/Moondragon and Daken series and I'm set.
    Daken would be much better than any listed because he fits the action super hero genre better than any of the above. He has a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post

Succinct and articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    If they had remained true to the trajectory of the character a decade ago, it would have went better.They kept her in the X-ghetto, and didnt let the character evolve outside of it. Its damn near impossible with most of the x- characters unless you go the way of Fraction and tell a more generic story that just happens to have this character in it much like Fraction did with Hawkeye.
    Exactly. If they really wanted her to be their Wonder Woman, they should have treated her like their Wonder Woman! Instead, they just want to restrain her to this wee corner of the X-World. What's more, she didn't even get a chance to play with the big dogs from that little corner in her solo. I mean, her Big Bad in the finale was the kid from Generation Hope! Nuff said.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I think Karma is the character you could get the most interesting book from, especially if you bring in someone like Bill Sienkiewicz for the art, but I suspect it wouldn't last all that long. Iceman or Northstar are probably the best best for some longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Exactly. If they really wanted her to be their Wonder Woman, they should have treated her like their Wonder Woman! Instead, they just want to restrain her to this wee corner of the X-World. What's more, she didn't even get a chance to play with the big dogs from that little corner in her solo. I mean, her Big Bad in the finale was the kid from Generation Hope! Nuff said.
    Wait, I stopped reading after like issue four or so. Kenji? REALLY?

Man, that book is the disappointment of the decade.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I think Karma is the character you could get the most interesting book out from, especially if you bring in someone like Bill Sienkiewicz for the art, but I suspect it wouldn't last all that long. Iceman or Northstar are probably the best best for some longevity.
    I'm curious as to why you say Karma would be the most interesting. Never thought of that myself. Superpowers wise, definitely. But as a character, I don't know enough about her to make a judgement.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

TBH, I run out of fingers before I get to any of these.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Iceman would be my pick, but keep him away from most of the X-Men. Let him go off and have adventures outside of the "mutant world." Eventually, they can bring in more X-men stuff but most succesful solo characters have villains and adventures that are unique to them.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I'm curious as to why you say Karma would be interesting. Never thought of that myself.
    I think there's a powerful psychological horror aspect to Karma that's rarely been touched upon. Essentially, her power is to take away a person's free will, which is a major violation of one's self. There's been plenty of demonic possession stories, villain possession stories, etc, but a story where the protagonist is the possessor is unmined territory, in my opinion. There's an inherent moral conundrum here-- how can one be a hero when the means for that heroism is essentially a personal violation of self? What leads Karma to make such choices, what impact does it have on the victim, how does it play out on the mental plane, etc. are interesting themes to explore in a comic. (Obviously, I'm thinking about a more mature book here.) It's not typical superhero faire.

In addition, there's her background as the child of a East Asian crimelord, which, in itself, is a fertile and relatively unexplored theme for a N American superhero comic. There's body dysmorphia issues, which can be played out as she views herself through others' eyes. This is all before we even touch on her sexuality.

Obviously, you'd need a tremendous creative team that could pull all of this off. Personally, I think the writer most suited for the job would be Josh Dysart, judging from his work on Harbringer and Imperium (and, to a lesser extent, Unknown Soldier, as he will do his research to insure that East Asian aspect is accurate and not insulting like he did with the African conflicts in US). Bill Sienkiewicz would be ideal as the artist, but also artists like Enrique Breccia, Leo Manco, Ashley Wood would be good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I picked Iceman but I don't want it to be a solo, per say. I'd rather the book be called "Icemen" and have young Bobby and adult Bobby being themselves and working out their differences while going on adventures.

I'm actually looking forward to their conversation in UXM #600, so long as it's written with respect to both characters.
    LOVE this idea.

Also, I disagree with the "these characters can't carry their own solo" argument, imo under the wing of a competent writer, most characters can get away with an interesting solo. Whether it sells or not is a different story. It could be a hit like Ms. Marvel or a good book with low sales like Magneto.

Wait, I stopped reading after like issue four or so. Kenji? REALLY?

Man, that book is the disappointment of the decade.
    I thought it was a good series, if not mind-blowing or monumental, and a good solo for Storm. The "villain" of her final issue, and over the course of her series, may not have been the most noteworthy but I think Pak used them effectively in his story and to illustrate and highlight Ororo as a character and hero .