View Poll Results: Who has the best chance of a successful on-going solo series post-SECRET WARS

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

2 1.09%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

2 1.09%
  • ICEMAN [Robert ‘Bobby’ Drake]

34 18.58%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

7 3.83%
  • KAROLINA DEAN / LIGHTSPEED [Julie Powers]

7 3.83%
  • LIVING LIGHTNING [Miguel Santos]

2 1.09%
  • THE 'MIGHTY' DESTROYER [Roger Aubrey]

2 1.09%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

60 32.79%
  • MORPH [Benjamin Deeds]

0 0%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

20 10.93%
  • POD [Aikku Jokinen]

3 1.64%
  • RAWHIDE KID [Johnny Clay]

3 1.64%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan] / HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

36 19.67%
  • OR… resurrect FREEDOM RING [Curtis Doyle] and give it to him

1 0.55%
  • OR… out MONICA RAMBEAU and give it to her

4 2.19%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Miss America for sure.

I love Karma. I love her more than anyone else on the list. I desperately want to see her get more use. But there's no way she'd get a solo. She's not a particularly exciting hero. She doesn't fight, she makes other people fight for her. Giving her awesome combat skills would feel totally wrong, so that's not an option. So I don't think a Karma solo is possible.

Bling! and Anole are both cool, but I'd rather see a new volume of New X-Men.

Julie and Karolina are a really cute couple, but I feel like they'd work better in a team book. A new volume of Runaways, or a new volume of Avengers Academy, or something. Actually makes me think that maybe the way to go is to put one of the characters in a book, and keep the other as supporting cast.

Wiccan and Hulkling would work. Plenty of plots to explore. Wiccan's connection to Wanda can get more focus.

Ms. America gets my vote, though. She's a powerhouse, she's got a fun attitude, and her interdimensional travel opens up all sorts of fun story possibilities.

Fantastic Member

Other, Ultimate Jessica Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Julie and Karolina are a really cute couple, but I feel like they'd work better in a team book. A new volume of Runaways, or a new volume of Avengers Academy, or something. Actually makes me think that maybe the way to go is to put one of the characters in a book, and keep the other as supporting cast.
    Honestly, I've been waiting for a new Power Pack book for a while, so seeing Julie back in that and her relationship with Karolina touched on would be really sweet .

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Some further thoughts on a Karma series:

The name "Karma" itself references a system where the good one does is balanced against the harm one does. I'm not sure if Chris Claremont had this in mind when he chose the name, but it is a perfect description of the dichotomy built into the character-- doing harm (violating one's self) to do good. The name itself implies major moral questions and themes, so you shouldn't walk into the Karma book expecting your usual cookie-cutter story.

The model for the book would be Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo's Enigma, a classic comic not just consider one of the best LGBTQ superhero books, but one of the finest superhero comics ever. Enigma asked big questions and played with big themes, identity being the most prominent. It wasn't content with easy answers or solving problems with a punch. Marvel hasn't had a book with that kind of ambition in a long time (arguably Milligan's own X-Force/X-Statix).

Also, I think it gets back to a staple of Marvel's philosophy-- that heroes with inherent contradictions are the most interesting heroes. Matt Murdock violates his oath to uphold the law everytime he puts on the costume and fights crime as Daredevil. Spider-Man and the X-Men sacrifice their lives for a world that has no use for them. Bruce Banner tries to create a weapon of mass destruction, then has to live with the consequences when he himself becomes the ultimate weapon of mass destruction. Ben Grimm is the idol o' millions, but can't accept himself for what he's become. Carl Lucas is done wrong by society, but then fights for justice as Luke Cage. Karma, in my opinion, has the potential to be a slightly darker take on the kind of inherent contradictions that Marvel built its name on.

In any event, it would probably only last eight issues, and its ceiling is to become a cult classic.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I love Karma. I love her more than anyone else on the list. I desperately want to see her get more use. But there's no way she'd get a solo. She's not a particularly exciting hero. She doesn't fight, she makes other people fight for her. Giving her awesome combat skills would feel totally wrong, so that's not an option. So I don't think a Karma solo is possible.
    That's if you go with the traditional superhero route. I'm suggesting something different-- more of a psychological thriller. It's less about physical action, and more about the cost of achieving one's goals. The action, the way I see it, would largely be on the astral plane, or done through surrogates.

Well damn, now I want to write a Karma series.

Awesome ideas, FanboyStranger.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

If her siblings were actually regulars, instead of being completely missing and not talked about for nearly a decade, I might buy a Karma series.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Ugh!
    So dificult to choose.
    I'd be delighted with any of Anole, Iceman or Wiccan getting a solo.
    They're all great characters that under the right writer and with the right direction could be great solos.
    I'm also all for the resurrection of Phyla-Vell and her getting a solo.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    If they had remained true to the trajectory of the character a decade ago, it would have went better.They kept her in the X-ghetto, and didnt let the character evolve outside of it. Its damn near impossible with most of the x- characters unless you go the way of Fraction and tell a more generic story that just happens to have this character in it much like Fraction did with Hawkeye.
    Storm ventured out of the X-Ghetto when she was married to BP. She co-led the Fantastic Four, and got to be an Avenger.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Karma for me personally because of her interesting backstory and powers that could be mined for gold! Also Fanboy Stranger gives an excellent example of how a book of her nature could work, and work well with a lower rung hero. Problem is that you never know if things will be a hit or miss with fans, both new and old.

Rawhide tried to do a series with Max didn't work out so well, I think they went way to camp with it at times and didn't feel like a western vibe as much as it should.

Honestly I think Northstar would be an interesting one to deal with, given that he's married. How do you balance that and teaching, and being a hero? Things that a lot of people of all walks of life deal with on a daily basis. A new hero would be a good point too, the problem is that people have to like the new hero and that takes time.

And, just curious, but when did they announce that Bobby was gay? Or is he bi? I'm confused here?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    And, just curious, but when did they announce that Bobby was gay? Or is he bi? I'm confused here?
    The time displaced Bobby. Jean poked into his mind and told him he was gay and he just accepted it. It was a few months ago on All-New X-Men I think.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The time displaced Bobby. Jean poked into his mind and told him he was gay and he just accepted it. It was a few months ago on All-New X-Men I think.
    Perhaps you should read that issue again... No she didn't!
    Last edited by ZNOP; 06-09-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typo correction(s).

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Wait What? That's not...I...shouldn't that have been more of a discovery on his own rather then Jean saying "Hey you're this" and him just agreeing with it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Perhaps you should read theat issue again... No she didn't!
    Okay so, Jean noticed something or did he figure it out? I'm a little confused here as that issue was gone when I went to my comic shop to pick my books up.

BANNED