View Poll Results: Who has the best chance of a successful on-going solo series post-SECRET WARS

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

2 1.09%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

2 1.09%
  • ICEMAN [Robert ‘Bobby’ Drake]

34 18.58%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

7 3.83%
  • KAROLINA DEAN / LIGHTSPEED [Julie Powers]

7 3.83%
  • LIVING LIGHTNING [Miguel Santos]

2 1.09%
  • THE 'MIGHTY' DESTROYER [Roger Aubrey]

2 1.09%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

60 32.79%
  • MORPH [Benjamin Deeds]

0 0%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

20 10.93%
  • POD [Aikku Jokinen]

3 1.64%
  • RAWHIDE KID [Johnny Clay]

3 1.64%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan] / HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

36 19.67%
  • OR… resurrect FREEDOM RING [Curtis Doyle] and give it to him

1 0.55%
  • OR… out MONICA RAMBEAU and give it to her

4 2.19%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Wait What? That's not...I...shouldn't that have been more of a discovery on his own rather then Jean saying "Hey you're this" and him just agreeing with it?

Okay so, Jean noticed something or did he figure it out? I'm a little confused here as that issue was gone when I went to my comic shop to pick my books up.
    O'k here's the gist of ANXM #40...

Jeen didn't intentionally read Bobby's mind.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Still rather intrusive of Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    That's if you go with the traditional superhero route. I'm suggesting something different-- more of a psychological thriller. It's less about physical action, and more about the cost of achieving one's goals. The action, the way I see it, would largely be on the astral plane, or done through surrogates.
    As an additional note, her first story ended with her absorbing her own brother. This has never been followed up on. At all. He was really never even mentioned again. So a Karma series could also use that. Have him manipulating her from the inside to make her do bad things and eventually bring him back. It would be even more psychological thriller stuff - in addition to Karma questioning her subduing the identities of others, she'd also be dealing with occasional lapses of her own identity, adding some symmetry.

I'm glad to see that someone remembers Freedom Ring, I wish that Marvel would bring him back. There was a lot of controversy when Marvel killed him. GayComicGeek did a great analysis on the character: https://youtu.be/PL21WJXruNQ

Freedom Ring2.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Still rather intrusive of Jean.
    Because she as a telepath can hear the careless surface thoughts of others? That's like a judge throwing out evidence in a capital murder case simply because the lead witness (your house guest) looking to use your phone accidentally overhears you admitting to murder after picking up the phone receiver in your home.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 06-09-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to see more of Cullen too. Personally I'd love to see Cullen become a morally-dubious anti-hero type of character, almost like a young, gay version of the Punisher.
    That's an awesome pitch for a series!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    For real? Choose ONE?
    HA! I am cruel; but I hate multiple choice (too many just pick everything, or close too). I find a "pick one" makes the true victor clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    EDIT: What? No Phyla Vell/Moondragon option?
    You know, that is my fault; I thought they were bi. Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    Had to divide this into two responses:
    Ones I would WANT to read: A Wiccan/Hulkling duo book or a Bloodstones siblings book (much as I like Cullen, there is no way he can carry a solo).
    One that is most LIKELY to happen: A Miss America solo book. Which is fine, I just don't get the appeal of the character.
    Good idea.

I WANT: Wiccan / Hulkling or Morph

MOST LIKELY: Iceman or MAC

I'm a little annoyed at how much people are rallying behind Chavez when she's pretty much "More angry Carol Danvers". Billy and Hulkling deserve a shot at an ongoing, but it's like the fanbase forgot about them for Chavez's bombastic character.
    I'm not sure that's true; Wiccan is still dominating the LGBT favourite character poll (created post-MAC in Young Avengers). In the last 6 months he's stayed the undisputed champ, which wouldn't happen if everyone was fleeing to MAC
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    That's an awesome pitch for a series!

HA! I am cruel; but I hate multiple choice (too many just pick everything, or close too). I find a "pick one" makes the true victor clearer.

You know, that is my fault; I thought they were bi. Apologies

Good idea.

I WANT: Wiccan / Hulkling or Morph

MOST LIKELY: Iceman or MAC

I'm not sure that's true; Wiccan is still dominating the LGBT favourite character poll (created post-MAC in Young Avengers). In the last 6 months he's stayed the undisputed champ, which wouldn't happen if everyone was fleeing to MAC
    Moondragon is bi. Phyla-Veil is a lesbian.

Quote Originally Posted by Shura View Post
    I think Ms. America has more chances to have a solo series, but I would prefer just a bit more one about Billy and Teddy, specially because the whole "demiurge" thing and magic stuff, I was curious about it during Young Avengers, and I´m still curious now
    Sooooo true; I really want this explored more.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAngel View Post
    I also don't get the America Chavez popularity, but she's probably the most likely to sell based on her massive Internet fandom. Wiccan/Hulking could work too.
    I can't speak for others, but to me MAC is like old-school Rogue. She can fly, she's super strong and she's not interested in playing nice BUT when you earn her respect, you'll have her loyalty for life. Her costume is awesome, she can travel through dimensions (extra surprise) AND she's from a land of princesses. That's Disney epicness 101!! She ticks all the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Reboot the Incredible Herc, and bring Cho with him. Having him hang out in a bar in Brooklyn was an awful idea.
    Herc's bi, not gay (and he's had a solo series post-outing, not that you'd know he was bi in that series, since it never mentioned it; as per the majority of Marvel LGBT on-going).

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I would love an American Chavez ongoing, but honestly, my favorite LGBTs in Marvel are Bisexual for the most part.

DC has them beat in cool LGBT characters.
    I've broken my "only Marvel" rule recently, and picked up Midnighter from DC. If Marvel refuse to give us a gay on-going, it's possibly time we started looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    As I posted in a thread on the X-Boards, Teen Bobby seems to be the best bet to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was Kamala Khan.

He just was in the eye of a mediastorm less than a couple months back. Iceman is a fairly recognizable superhero name. Unlike Anole and Bling!, he is conventionally attractive, which let's face it, plays a part when popularity is involved. He also has that quippy, charming goofball personality which is why many folks love Peter Parker and Kamala herself.

He's basically an everyman Kevin Keller X-Man. That's a concept bursting with potential and appeal.
    Agreed. His omega level makes him workable as a solo star (ditto Wiccan); and he's got so much potential with characters. Who would you have as his enemies? His allies? Supporting cast?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Storm ventured out of the X-Ghetto when she was married to BP. She co-led the Fantastic Four, and got to be an Avenger.
    No, she really didn't. They threw her into a rushed marriage with T'Challa and then spent that entire book undermining her (and everyone else) in order to make T'Challa look cool. She got to be an Avenger for like five minutes and did nothing of note during her stint on the team. Her tenure on the F4 was little better.

These are lip-service things, but nothing even close to substantial.

I'm a little annoyed at how much people are rallying behind Chavez when she's pretty much "More angry Carol Danvers". Billy and Hulkling deserve a shot at an ongoing, but it's like the fanbase forgot about them for Chavez's bombastic character.
    Billy is one of my favorite characters, but he really doesn't need a solo. Well, nobody needs a solo but I'd be more interested in reading Ms. America's. She's a relatively unexplored character who we still don't know very well, whereas Billy monopolized the last Young Avengers series and the Children's Crusade as well.

I enjoy them both but given the choice between then I'll go with America because I'm more interested in what's yet to be done with her.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    As an additional note, her first story ended with her absorbing her own brother. This has never been followed up on. At all. He was really never even mentioned again. So a Karma series could also use that. Have him manipulating her from the inside to make her do bad things and eventually bring him back. It would be even more psychological thriller stuff - in addition to Karma questioning her subduing the identities of others, she'd also be dealing with occasional lapses of her own identity, adding some symmetry.
    Yeah, I hadn't even considered that angle. There's a lot to mine in Karma's abilities and backstory. She's just loaded with potential.

To bring it back to sexuality angle, I think there's all sorts of interesting questions about Karma's lovelife, too. Not regarding Karma's sexuality, but how do you have a relationship with someone who can take your will from you? Do you trust them implicitly, or is there a part of you that wonders if they are influencing your feelings? Does this make Karma feel lonely-- something I always felt was an aspect of her character-- or misunderstood? Can she have an equal partner? What if Karma needs to possess her lover to save her from harm? Does that cross a line in the relationship, or have they developed a contingency plan (thinking last week's Midnighter 1 here)? Can a relationship come back from that?

Like I said, from a psychological and philosophical point of view, Karma is an absolutely fascinating character, and in my opinion, the most interesting character on the list to build a series around. It wouldn't be a series for everyone, but it would definitely be a series worth reading.

I've broken my "only Marvel" rule recently, and picked up Midnighter from DC. If Marvel refuse to give us a gay on-going, it's possibly time we started looking elsewhere.
    I'm curious: what did you think of it? I've followed the character for years, and I thought it was an excellent first issue and probably the best thing done with the character since the original Authority ongoing. (It also felt like a great '80s indie action comic like Grimjack or Grendel: Devil's Legacy, which is a good thing, in my opinion.) I'm wondering how a reader experiencing the character for the first time feels about it, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Well damn, now I want to write a Karma series.

Awesome ideas, FanboyStranger.
    I give the credit to that wild year when Claremont was joined by Sienkiewicz on New Mutants. The crazy Demon Bear story, then the crazy Legion story, the Beyonder killing the whole team and resurrecting them-- those stories scared the crap out of me as a kid. I've always viewed those character through a weird psychological lens (and kind of a horror one, too), and I've been disappointed when so few creators go down that route. I mean, Karma, Dani Moonstar, Magik-- those characters have crazy backgrounds filled with wild ideas all condusive to radical interpretations and daring art.

Agreed. His omega level makes him workable as a solo star (ditto Wiccan); and he's got so much potential with characters. Who would you have as his enemies? His allies? Supporting cast?
    I would definitely bring his family back into the mix as supporting characters. Him coming out to his parents, especially his dad, is an opportunity for ethos that will happen sooner than later regardless of whether or not he gets a solo post-SW. Seeing how regressive his father his, I wouldn't be surprised if that man is closeted as well, like Chris Cooper's character from American Beauty. If Bobby helps Drake Sr. come to terms with that and help him accept himself, it would be incredibly deep and a first for superhero comics.

Regading mutant allies, I wouldn't mind if they use Teen Jean (girl sells comics), some of the New X-Men like Pixie, Trance, Indra, Bling! or No-Girl, or new characters altogether. We don't see platonic friendships between gay characters often in superhero comics so we could see Anole as a BFF. The rest of the O5 could be semi regulars. Stevie Hunter would be a cool non-mutant ally that they could use.

I guess the villains should reflect the themes of the series. A young gay mutant exploring and experiencing his world and new outlook on life needs bigots like the Purifiers and William Stryker for conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I give the credit to that wild year when Claremont was joined by Sienkiewicz on New Mutants. The crazy Demon Bear story, then the crazy Legion story, the Beyonder killing the whole team and resurrecting them-- those stories scared the crap out of me as a kid. I've always viewed those character through a weird psychological lens (and kind of a horror one, too), and I've been disappointed when so few creators go down that route. I mean, Karma, Dani Moonstar, Magik-- those characters have crazy backgrounds filled with wild ideas all condusive to radical interpretations and daring art.
    Midnighter was fantastic. Promising debut issue. And a positive direction for the LGBTQIA community!

I voted Iceman - adult Iceman living in the new world post secret war as a new man.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/