Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Gangbuster aka nunchuck Superman

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    Gangbuster aka nunchuck Superman

Gangbuster was always one of my favorite characters but his costume was brutal. would love to see him brought back but with a redesigned suit.

image.jpgimage.jpg

The first try for a "streamlined" Nightwing costume from New Titans. Tom Grummett.
    Glider wings and a mullet/ponytail...

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Gangbuster was always one of my favorite characters but his costume was brutal. would love to see him brought back but with a redesigned suit.
    really? You prefer Superman using nunchucks instead of his already incredible super powers?
    I guess it must be the shoulder pads rings, or the cheesy helmet, or I bet is the shades... or maybe the nunchucks :P I just can't that costume is awful

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I love George Perez as an artist, and the W/P NTT run is one of my favorite runs on a mainstream superhero comic ever. But man, he created some doozies back then. Starfire's and Cyborg's looks were both pretty bad, but I especially laugh whenever I see Houngan and Shimmer. Lordy.
    Not me I liked Cyborg and Starfire by Perez....New Teen Titans #1 comic book.

For me, a lot of New 52 designs are just bad.
    Last edited by Herowatcher; 06-10-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    really? You prefer Superman using nunchucks instead of his already incredible super powers?
    I guess it must be the shoulder pads rings, or the cheesy helmet, or I bet is the shades... or maybe the nunchucks :P I just can't that costume is awful

If memory serves, Superman was only a stand-in Gangbuster when the original was incapacitated and Supes was suferring from PTS amnesia. I liked the original Gangbuster, José Delgado. Maybe that's who Robotman is talking about.

I have to say some people are very picky in terms of who they find "the worst". Some are so not the worst. IMHO, of course. But, then again, taste is a rather subjective thing.

Peace

The good kind of noise SpiderOrange's Avatar

Struggling posting a picture for some reason but New 52 "Tim Drake - Red Robin" has to be up there as one of the worst redesigns ever.
    "This. Right here. This is where my life officially jumped the shark." Miles Morales
    "No, that was back on Cowboy world", Ultimate Cartoon Spidey
    ASM Vol 3, #12

Retired

I'm not seeing what is supposed to be wrong with Gangbuster. In his case, the outfit is rather understated--especially for the times, because '90s super-hero costumes were really busy with unnecessary detail (a trend Jim Lee seems single-handedly dedicated to bringing back).

George Perez was hit and miss with his costume designs. Based on the original Nightwing (Superman in Kandor), Perez got carried away with gilding the lily. That left other artists to try valiantly to restore some sanity. I liked the simple design for animated BATMAN & ROBIN's Nightwing. People go overboard in their hatred for the beaver paddle, the Canadian passport, the Camaro cut, the Squirrel pelt, the El Camino, the achy-breaky-bad-mistaky, the short long, the fauxhawk, the business in the front party in the back, the Tennessee tophat, the neck warmer. It's hardly the worst offense to fashion.

Jim Kelly, you forgot the Arkansas Waterfall.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I loved the '70s Cockrum ones.
    I loved all of the Cockrum's LoSH designs from the '70s. The skimpier costumes for both male and female characters were an interesting approach for the characters from the future.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    I loved all of the Cockrum's LoSH designs from the '70s. The skimpier costumes for both male and female characters were an interesting approach for the characters from the future.
    Since they had already been defined as wearing transparent 'molecule-thick transuits' that protected them from pressure, temperature, radiation, etc., it's not like they had any real *need* for (visible) clothing, other than to pay lip-service to the Comics Code Authority. I kind of love the idea that they were more-or-less 'fully clothed,' even when they seemed to be wearing bikinis into outer space battles.

I'd find Starfire a lot more interesting if we found out that she'd been wearing mostly-invisible Tamaranean battle-armor all this time. "What? I'm solar powered, so it's got to be transparent. But I'm not bulletproof, or an idiot!"

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Since they had already been defined as wearing transparent 'molecule-thick transuits' that protected them from pressure, temperature, radiation, etc., it's not like they had any real *need* for (visible) clothing, other than to pay lip-service to the Comics Code Authority. I kind of love the idea that they were more-or-less 'fully clothed,' even when they seemed to be wearing bikinis into outer space battles.
    That works for me--and I'm much more accepting of those outfits now than I was at the time. Although I still think Saturn Girl's was all wrong for her character--since she's supposed to be a demure kind of person. With Laurel Kent I had no problem, because it made sense that with her invulnerability she didn't need any clothes.

If the comics could have been realistic to the 30th century, then everyone should've been starkers.

The problem with certain costumes is also the penciler. The style of penciler A is fit for the costume of character B, but horrible for character C. But the style of Penciler B is perfect for character C and hideous for character B.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I figured someone would post this by now. Worse than his bowl haircut and leather jacket with the giant G look, Guy Gardner Warrior. Guy_Gardner_Warrior_03.jpg

I feel like the dialogue should be changed to say something like: "Hulk Hoooooogan. Do you understand the destructive destroyerness that is the way and path of destrucicity?! Hulk Hoooogan. The time of the Waaaarior is coming." Or something like that.
    Last edited by GDC3; 06-10-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Plastic Man and B'wanna Beast.