Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sansomon View Post
    But in the early seventies, thanks to the mobilization of fans . . .
    To each his own, but I like mod Diana. Eventually, I suppose, the classic Wonder Woman would have to come back. But I thought Sekowsky showed how it should be done and it's too bad that everything he accomplished was junked and forgotten. I think that sales were better than they had been during his run.

The thing is there were a lot of fair weather friends of Wonder Woman who complained about the change in her, but even when she was changed back they didn't support her with their dimes and nickels. So what good are all these fans if they're not going to put their money where their mouth is? I think the only time that Wonder Woman had really strong sales in the '70s was during the time Lynda Carter was on the air.

It's always been the case with Wonder Woman that a lot of people say they like her, they just don't like her enough to buy her comic book.

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:

9715.jpg

Man it is too funny to be crap imo.

image.jpgimage.jpg

New 52 Black Canary: needlessly busy with an over abundance of seams and lines and stripes, Jim Lee's revamp of Dinah for the New 52 Birds of Prey looks ok under the strength of his aesthetic, but didnt hold up as well under other artists.
    BC also suffered from the movement to cover female character's legs which runs counter to the history of Canary wearing fishnets. The Lee costume tries to do both (which isn't a first for BC costumes) but when taken with the rest of the look, fails.

BANNED

Looker

The First Robin (Dick Grayson)

The first Robin suffered even say enough, lost his parents, was trained by a mentor gotten the beast that finds the maximum, does not give luck with your girlfriends, can not topple a comic book, live the shadow of his master and still has a huge bad reputation and a host of comic book fans who hate him. Also a guy who starts wearing a tiny swimsuit each of these shoes of Peter Pan and a banana cape wanted what?

Golden Age Mister Terrific

I really like the new Mr. Terrific, he has a nice uniform, is a cool character, but the old ... well, I have never read any history with him, but when I see this horrible uniform, I'm not even will. This pink pants, this wrestler mask, and this green jacket, avocado, are hurting. But worst of all is this emblem he brings in the belly, a golden insignia and writing "fair play", which in Portuguese means something like "jogo limpo". If the power of this guy was super intelligence, why he decided to write this nonsense in uniform and use such an ugly thing?
    Last edited by Sansomon; 06-16-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Retired

You guys are cutting too close to home with me now. I don't have the time to explain why I like so many of those on the last couple of pages. The simplest explanation is context.

Anything when taken out of context can be made to seem bad. That's why understanding context is so important.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You guys are cutting too close to home with me now. I don't have the time to explain why I like so many of those on the last couple of pages. The simplest explanation is context.

Anything when taken out of context can be made to seem bad. That's why understanding context is so important.
    Agreed, Robin for example above, when you look at his actual debut, the context of a kid acrobat of the time and the visual and thematic nod to "the legendary Robin Hood whose name and spirit he adopted" it makes great sense and works visually next to Batman.
    Like Fairbanks' Zorro before, Fairbanks' Robin Hood was the most iconic interpretation at the time - http://i.imgur.com/ye09Rpc.jpg?1 -Kid acrobat and Fairbanks Robin Hood were the visual cues.
    Out of context his costume makes little sense.

I think the problem is they aged him (as in the pic posted by Sansoman, and also on the TV show they used an older actor, and still kept the same costume. Thats when they should have abandoned it. Although they inevitably did that too as Nightwing.
    But for the pre-teen original Robin, I think it works great in the (as you point out) context of his creation, it's incredibly iconic and works great.

Especially when you you see him as a kid daredevil doing backflips, and tossing Joker off a highbeam of a skyscraper.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-03-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Sinestro's original black and blue Pajazzo outfit takes some beating:

220px-Silver_age_sinestro.jpg

BANNED

Bouncing Boy

Vibe

Wonder Man Earth-11

Last edited by Sansomon; 06-16-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The worst of:

Vandal Savage

plus

Doomsday

equals the First Born(horrible design).

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Amazing Member

It's even worse in context, as it makes the Batman motif come off as really gratuitous and random. This "Batman-Superman" is just Jimmy Olsen with Superman's powers; he has none of Batman's gadgets, skills or modus operandi.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The worst of:

Vandal Savage

plus

Doomsday

equals the First Born(horrible design).

Nah, First Born was a great design and character, I disagree on that one.

But I've never like the over-boned look of Doomsday, I always thought he looked best wrapped up with bones sticking out.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z View Post
    It's even worse in context, as it makes the Batman motif come off as really gratuitous and random. This "Batman-Superman" is just Jimmy Olsen with Superman's powers; he has none of Batman's gadgets, skills or modus operandi.
    I think, inside the comic, the costume is a little different than on the cover--just as with the grown-up Robin on the JUSTICE LEAGUE comic cover. You have to understand, in that period 1966 - 1967, Batman was currency. Really. You could print an image of Batman on any piece of paper and it was like money. People bought this stuff off the rack like crazy.

And with those images that mash up the Batman costume it tickles the imagination. What's going on here? It looks like Batman, but not Batman--I gotta buy this comic and find out. And I gotta buy it NOW!

Really if you guys had time travelled back and hectored the poor publisher and editor into NOT printing this stuff--you would have bankrupt the company. DC had the exclusive license to print Batman money (as opposed to all the counterfeit Batman money that was being pumped out at the time) and by god, DC was going to use that license!

I like the fact that each DC character's costume is a walking time capsule. It may not conform to reality or good taste, but it's a great thing to see. That's why I loved the Justice Society so much when I discovered them. You can't make this stuff up. Although, at first I thought it was made up--this other Flash. Green Lantern, Atom--surely they didn't really exist back in a time long before I was born and surely they didn't have such whacky costumes? But they did and they did!

I just love it when each character wears his history. I love the flashbacks that show Hal in the original version of his costume without the bit going over the shoulders. I love the flashbacks that show Batman without the yellow oval. I love that Mr. Terrific was such a fun, positive character that he wore "Fair Play" right on his front and his costume had Christmas colours. I love those cowls and I love the big opera capes. I love the swashbuckling boots. And the elf boots, too. I love it all. I can't get enough of it---I haunt he public domain comic sites, looking for more of this wonderful, fun, uninhibited good stuff.

When comics *ahem* designers replace the old costumes with some fancy new thing that Edith Head would have dumped in the garbage, it's like they're tearing down a heritage home and replacing it with a gawdawful glass and concrete tower that looks like every other new tower in the city of super-heroes. This old house might need a little restoration work--some new plumbing, new electricals--but if you get rid of all the old heritage homes, the city has no character, no identity.

BANNED

Beefeater 2.jpg

The Beefeater.

BANNED

Black Condor (Richard Grey Jr.)

Color Kid

Kid Psycho

Last edited by Sansomon; 06-17-2015 at 04:55 AM.