Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Sad to see the couple of dissatisfied folks, but eh, can't please everyone.

I was hoping to see Gabe, too, and I'm glad to see that I wasn't disappointed on that front. Their relationship really is the best thing since sliced bread, and I'm also happy to see that Robbie has more at stake to winning these races than just his own hide. Too bad about the others, though, most of whom don't seem too pleased at their loss and subsequent fate ('cept Carter Slade, who's being pretty zen, all things considered).

I wonder if Robbie's relationship with Eli is different in Battle World? He seemed reluctant to part with Eli when the race ended.

On another note, I'm also happy to see Robbie racing. That was a neat little aspect from his series that wasn't used too much since it didn't always fit the circumstances, so I'm glad to see it utilized here in a setting that directly supports it.

Despite Robbie being the viewpoint character, I'm sure we see more of the others in due time, along with the other underlining mechanics of what's going on, particularly since Arcade's regime won't last.

Speaking of whom, Arcade is still a jerk who's too big for his britches, as usual.

Anyway, great to see Robbie again. I missed him since his series ended earlier this year. He, along with Gabe, are probably my favorite among the new crop of young heroes created in recent times. I'm definitely looking forward to next issue!
    I thought Eli was this nice person, until I read the Marvel entry on All New Ghost Rider, and found she was a murderer of 37 people. But maybe because this is an Alternative Eli and Robbie Reyes, the history is different this time. But it's tragic that Robbie has to win this race to get back to Gabe, his brother, and the dark secret is how the losers have to be tortured in a dungeon. Robbie has no concern for them, mainly because this cycle of race-win-torture is normal and everyone is stuck in it. Robbie is to get the pay back coming to him in the next race, so Gabe will be without Robbie soon.

The simple dynamic that Robbie tries to look after Gabe, but his mechanic practice and racing hunger separates him from being responsible, and his brother suffers. It's a tragic cycle of the Ghost Riders, that they have no choice but to jump into the deals that they are stuck with. This is a death hell, where those who die have to relive the mistake that torments them to eternity. It's interesting there are such things as dispiriting race officials. How is there anybody able to remove the Ghost Rider spirit from the rider?

I wonder if Dooms mother is in the stands watching? Did anyone notice the family getting the good seats to see the race? Something bad happened here and that guy is now paying for something, because his son is brain damaged.

I don't know how this can progress. Arcade makes a killing on Robbies loss, and Robbie is tortured next time. I wonder what the Guardian Angel Zadkiel does to human ghost riders in the dungeon? Will we ever going to get to see that, or is that going to be too graphic?

I did like the double page at the start, with the credits, showing Battleworld boiling red with lava between the domains in its infancy. That is a nice image of how Battleworld must have begun, before all the Domains settled into a stable planet. There seemed to be something wafting up into the stratosphere as well, I couldn't quite identify.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-16-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I thought Eli was this nice person, until I read the Marvel entry on All New Ghost Rider, and found she was a murderer of 37 people. But maybe because this is an Alternative Eli and Robbie Reyes, the history is different this time. But it's tragic that Robbie has to win this race to get back to Gabe, his brother, and the dark secret is how the losers have to be tortured in a dungeon. Robbie has no concern for them, mainly because this cycle of race-win-torture is normal and everyone is stuck in it. Robbie is to get the pay back coming to him in the next race, so Gabe will be without Robbie soon.
    Actually, in the context of Battle World, there was no indication that Robbie or anyone else not in the "know" realized what happens to the losers.

I haven't read the second issue yet, but I don't think he finds out what happens until he loses, or whatever happens.

But yeah, Eli was always bad news from the very beginning. As time and his solo went on, we learned precisely how bad, coupled with him him getting less subtle, culminating with everything that happened in the last 2 issues of All-New Ghost Rider.

The simple dynamic that Robbie tries to look after Gabe, but his mechanic practice and racing hunger separates him from being responsible, and his brother suffers. It's a tragic cycle of the Ghost Riders, that they have no choice but to jump into the deals that they are stuck with. This is a death hell, where those who die have to relive the mistake that torments them to eternity.
    Actually, that's not quite the case.

One of the things they firmly established early on in his solo was how utterly atypical Robbie was in comparison to his peers (and also how he was different than what he came off as, appearance wise), from his demeanor down to the way he dressed compared to them.

One of the biggest being his sense of responsibility and his devotion to his little brother Gabe. The reason he was a mechanic was because he had to work to get paid to take care of his brother. Robbie was never "into" street racing at all at first, and only decided to do so on a stupid whim that was fueled by the desperate need to get enough money to get himself and his brother outta town.

The only reason he kept doing so mid-series was because he found he could make serious money doing so thanks to his powers, which he used to take care of Gabe.

It's interesting there are such things as dispiriting race officials. How is there anybody able to remove the Ghost Rider spirit from the rider?
    Not sure, but it's probably Battle World mechanics. This may become more clear as the mini goes on.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-08-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Well....... the art was good at least.....

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Is there an issue #2 thread yet? It came out yesterday.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

So, the second issue does indeed give insight on how Robbie and Gabe got to where they are.

spoilers:
    And it turns out that he does know the fate of those who lose their races, due to losing his first race. He made sure never to lose again after that.

Also, though it wasn't obvious before, Gabe can walk in Ghost Racers. Also, Robbie and Guero and his crew of Ernie and Emilio are friends. They're even friendly towards Gabe. It's quite the refreshing contrast compared to All-New Ghost Rider where they seemed like they had the potential to be friends, but Guero never took that positive first step and instead continued to bully and later resent Robbie right up 'til the end.

In fact, this changed status quo really made me feel for them when they were turned into that mishmash chimera thing only to be destroyed like that.

Wonderful second issue! Now they've got me hankering for the third.
    end of spoilers

P.S. Does anyone else here dislike Arcade, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Is there an issue #2 thread yet? It came out yesterday.
    I imagine there should be. They can be kinda fickle when it comes to consistently making threads for the seemingly lesser popular things.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    So, the second issue does indeed give insight on how Robbie and Gabe got to where they are.

P.S. Does anyone else here dislike Arcade, or is it just me?

Oh don't worry is not just you. Is one peculiar characterisitc of that carnie obsesses jerk. Pretty muhc everyone dislike him, both withing comic universe and in RL. Seriously is probably one of the reaons they keep him aorund as villain. You just wish to see his smug spoiled face punched somehow somewhere in some way

Astonishing Member

No issue 3 thread, so yeah.

Zadkiel's powers not working on Eli of course implies the kind of spirit he is, i.e., not a Angelic spirit.

The highlight of issue 3 has got to be that ending, though.

I was definitely crying out the same things after seeing that screen, though I can't deny that I'm a little intrigued at the prospect.

spoilers:
    Gabe looked positively terrified on that thing. You can't help but feel what Robbie was feeling at that moment. Definitely a great cliffhanger ending.
    end of spoilers

Once more, I want to mention my hatred for Arcade. There. It is done.