Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Weirdworld, #1

Jason Aaron and Mike Del Mundo cobble together elements from the Marvel multiverse that don't fit anywhere else within "Secret Wars" and build a splendidly rich, darkly beautiful world of fantasy adventure in "Weirdworld" #1.

Full article here.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Great to see such a positive review! Very excited for this!

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Can't wait for this! Isn't it supposed to be sticking around after Secret Wars too?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesebiggins View Post
    Great to see such a positive review! Very excited for this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Can't wait for this! Isn't it supposed to be sticking around after Secret Wars too?
    It is, indeed! At least, that seems to be Marvel's plan; but we're going to need sales to keep this thing going!

It looks like nothing else out there right now, and I hope people give it a chance to wow them.

-Pav, who is already wowed...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I'm all in baby!

Been Looking forward to this one!

Amazing Member

I'm really happy that it got such a good review! Unfortunately I won't be able to read my copy until thursday/friday.

Pav, I feel like you and I are among the few, brave and WEIRD who've waited a good while for this!

Quote Originally Posted by CookieVonDoom View Post
    I'm really happy that it got such a good review! Unfortunately I won't be able to read my copy until thursday/friday.

Pav, I feel like you and I are among the few, brave and WEIRD who've waited a good while for this!
    Oh yeah, dude: I've been excited about this from its very first mention. I'm stoked that we finally get to read an issue!

There's really no way this can be disappointing, except for maybe being a fast read. But DSL Mundo's art deserves to be taken in slowly, so that hopefully won't be an issue. It's gonna just be a fun ride, and I hope it lasts a long time!

-Pav, who is getting weird tomorrow...!
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

ruloletras

Great first is issue. I was looking for it too. It reminds me of 80's cartoons where you have mummies, mutants, amazons, Ewoks ripp off, snowmen and giant spiders. And cat people of course.

Yes. It was awesome. Art was perfect marriage for the story. Will be interesting to see how much of Arkon and his quest for Polemachus is real or if he's just insane

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

A really good first issue, this and 1602 Witch Hunter Angela, best books of the week.

BANNED

The story didn't wow me as much as I'd hoped, but the art was so good it didn't really matter.

The story could be crap and Del Mundos art would make it okay.

That said, I had alot of fun with this book.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Just finished reading. Holy hell this better keep going! Buy it people!

didn't have any expectations going in but i really liked this. the art was really nice. if this continues after Secret Wars i'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    The story could be crap and Del Mundos art would make it okay.

That said, I had alot of fun with this book.
    The art is beyond excellent.

As for the story, I'm just along for the ride. I have little preconceived notions or feeling about the characters. As long as I keep getting what we got today - a barbarian king fighting his way through a land of unlimited oddity - I'll be stoked. That being said, I did enjoy the wry humor we got every so often amidst all the action; Arkon's narration/dialogue is also pretty enjoyable: 'tis just..., he says! Ha.

The hints to upcoming issues was fun, as we got to learn a little about character relationships. Any thoughts on who might be the Swamp Witch? And are those magma guys from some other comic?

Also, I still can't get over that dragon by del Mundo. Just a great image. But I also really loved the page that show Arkon about to walk off the cliff: it really matched the tone of the narrative and displayed the moment beautifully. I loved the layout.

I hope we learn a little more about the battle bolts, but if it's just "one of those things" that's fine too. In terms of the map, I'd like to see Motherboard Mountain, but Arkon made it sound like he'd travelled on the dragon quite far away from anywhere he had ever been before; maybe all that stuff on the Map so far becomes irrelevant to the story going forward.

What issue does this comic have to get to before Jason Aaron starts taking requests? I wouldn't mind if the Silver Bullet Gang showed their faces in Weirdworld. And before you say, "But Pav, the Silver Bullet Gang are Cowboys. They should be in 1872!" they are werewolf cowboys, which is weird. Also, I'm not buying 1872.

Also, I want the Kith.

And Swarm.

And ...Morbius?

-Pav, who's just throwing it out there...

[Edit: Nevermind. Just keep bringing the crazy! I don't need requests.

Okay, maybe the Kith.]
    Last edited by Pav; 06-10-2015 at 05:29 PM.

--------------------