Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This was so good! Everyone needs to buy this. I know Marvel said that Weirdworld would be a part of the post-secret wars MU but I'm not sure if they meant that the series would continue or just that it would a concept that would be used in the future (kinda like how Maestro will be around but Future Imperfect won't be continuing). I hope it sticks around though. The issue was so fun with a ton of fun concepts packed in. Dialogue was funny and emotional at points (classic Aaron) and the art was so great. I think I'm going to pick up the Elektra trades to get more of Del Mundo's art.
    Dept. H, Manifest Destiny, Moon Knight, Nighthawk, Power Man and Iron Fist, Strange Fruit

Stunning art, I love this guys work. Jason Aaron did an okay job too, but the art is what really sold it. If this is going to be an ongoing, they better keep the creative team and not replace one of them immediately and kill the charm.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Very solid first issue. It reminded me of Slaine in all the right ways, especially Del Mundo's art, which is more than a little bit Bisley-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The hints to upcoming issues was fun, as we got to learn a little about character relationships. Any thoughts on who might be the Swamp Witch? And are those magma guys from some other comic?
    I'm thinking that the Swamp Witch is Jennifer Kale, considering the Man-Thing link. I believe the magma men were updated Lava Men from a variety of Marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'm thinking that the Swamp Witch is Jennifer Kale, considering the Man-Thing link. I believe the magma men were updated Lava Men from a variety of Marvel comics.
    My mind immediately went to Jennifer Kale as well; however, considering the nature of this comic, the Swamp Witch could end up being anyone!

Satana also crossed my mind.

-Pav, who wonders what a whole swamp of Man-Things will be like...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

My mind immediately went to Jennifer Kale as well; however, considering the nature of this comic, the Swamp Witch could end up being anyone!

Satana also crossed my mind.

-Pav, who wonders what a whole swamp of Man-Things will be like...
    That's true. It seems like anything and everything is fair game for this series. Which is great!

It meet my expectations, I can't wait for #2!
    We need better comics

Surprisingly, I have to say this issue didn't meet up with my expectations. Sure, the art was great and the writing was quite good too, but I walked away feeling like not much happened. I am finding most SW books are not as padded as many Marvel books in the past, and some are quite undecompressed (compressed?) so that they have the feel of books of decades past. This book just seemed too quick for my liking. Not that I didn't enjoy what I got, but I think I had hyped myself up so much for it, and found I got so little, I almost had to be somewhat disappointed.

As for the question of the lava guy. I think it was supposed to be Moltar from the old Crystar series.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Surprisingly, I have to say this issue didn't meet up with my expectations. Sure, the art was great and the writing was quite good too, but I walked away feeling like not much happened. I am finding most SW books are not as padded as many Marvel books in the past, and some are quite undecompressed (compressed?) so that they have the feel of books of decades past. This book just seemed too quick for my liking. Not that I didn't enjoy what I got, but I think I had hyped myself up so much for it, and found I got so little, I almost had to be somewhat disappointed.

As for the question of the lava guy. I think it was supposed to be Moltar from the old Crystar series.
    Do you think your perception of the book was influenced by the interviews, solicits, and previews that we got before the issue came out? (Obviously I have no idea how close you pay attention to that stuff.) I only know that, as someone who was dying for all the info I could get about WEIRDWORLD prior to its release, I wasn't surprised that I already knew much about the contents of the first issue, and I tried to take that into consideration when evaluating it. Had I known nothing about the series and still picked it up, I probably would've been completely blown away rather than merely satisfied with what I saw. Luckily, I feel like we'll get less hints with each new issue, as the promotion machine won't be in such full effect, and therefore it's likely we'll be surprised and astounded by the book more easily in the future.

-Pav, who can't wait for issue the second...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Was looking forward to this, and it did not disappoint! Not really much else to say, but I will be back for issue 2

This was great fun. I love the inventiveness. I love the map.

I think Morgan needs to look more like Morgan and less like Viper. I do wonder what Arkon's perception of Polemachus is, since he still considers Doom to be god. Is this like a Skartaris thing where he remembers being transported elsewhere and just doesn't know how to get back?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    This was great fun. I love the inventiveness. I love the map.

I think Morgan needs to look more like Morgan and less like Viper. I do wonder what Arkon's perception of Polemachus is, since he still considers Doom to be god. Is this like a Skartaris thing where he remembers being transported elsewhere and just doesn't know how to get back?
    This is something I've been thinking about also. Most of the denizens of Battleworld - as far as I understand, anyway - have little to no recognition of their previous lives in their "home dimensions." Yet Arkon obviously feels lost - he yearns to be home, in Polemachus. But why is it that he remembers when so many don't?

Mabye we'll see this explored. Maybe we won't. I don't care much either way, as ultimately it doesn't have to be a major plot point. But it would be fun if it were.

Perhaps Weirdworld is Polemachus, albeit a transformed one. I can imagine Arkon deposing of Magic KingArthurLady and becoming king of "his" land once again.

-Pav, who is looking forward to meeting a new friend next issue...

--------------------

PS: If someone wants to make a profile-sized picture of Arkon taking a step off the cliff, I will strongly consider changing from Ricochet to Arkon.

And that's not something to sneeze at.

-Pav, who takes his Slingers representin' seriously...

--------------------

BANNED

Some person on Brevoort's tumblr complained about the "sloppy art" of Weirdworld. Hard to believe a person with such abysmal taste exists (I'd like to think it's just deliberate trolling and not an actual, for real opinion) as this is one gorgeous looking book, period. Loved #1, can't wait for #2 and "Apelantis."
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 06-12-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Language

PS: If someone wants to make a profile-sized picture of Arkon taking a step off the cliff, I will strongly consider changing from Ricochet to Arkon.

And that's not something to sneeze at.

-Pav, who takes his Slingers representin' seriously...
    If I can, I'll whip something up when I get home.

And if that were so, you'd use an image from Slingers.