Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles: Superman episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYSxN4ezhO4

What'd everyone think? I myself really enjoyed it.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Haaaa, the governement. Always creating supervillains just in case superheroes turn bad. It never goes wrong for them.
    Not completely sold on the movie (I dunno, it just doesn't grab me), but as it's own thing, it was a decent short. Better than the Batman one.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Haven't seen the Batman clip yet, but I loved this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Haaaa, the governement. Always creating supervillains just in case superheroes turn bad. It never goes wrong for them.
    Not completely sold on the movie (I dunno, it just doesn't grab me), but as it's own thing, it was a decent short. Better than the Batman one.
    You'd think they'd put more effort into stopping the villains they didn't create.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You'd think they'd put more effort into stopping the villains they didn't create.
    Considering how their efforts at stopping the heroes tend to pay off, it's probably best that they don't.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Oh my God. Oh my Goddess. This was a bazzillion times more intense than the Batman one. Bruce Timm, I take a bow. Holy Heck. I dunno even what to say. We all know how Clark would have solved this. But I can't even be repulsed by what El Zod did. The guy is a pragmatic and is saddened by what he had to do. There's no doubt what he did, right? I'm all for him just having knocked the kid out. But I don't think it'll be this easy.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It didn't strike me in the same "this is grimdark to the point of unwitting self-parody" way the Batman one did, and I think this did a better job at achieving what it set out to do. But it still comes across to me as no more than a pretty cheap shock value "Superman did whaaaaat" bit. Ultimately, it's merely something I have slightly less than no interest in seeing, rather than actively repelling me like Batman.

The bit with the glass writing was pretty great though.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

I didn't think it as grimdark. Just pragmatic, cynical. And sad, very sad. This is not Clark. It achieved what it set out to do. This is not Superman doing this. No shock for me (on that front), really.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It's not an overly grimdark piece, no. It's well-done for what it is, and it doesn't make me angry or anything like some of this stuff sometimes can. But I still think it's rooted in the pretty cheap shock value of "spoilers:
    Superman killed a wide-eyed sobbing kid
    end of spoilers", even if it's not actually that simple. There's nothing here to make me think the rest of this will interest me, which is a shame, because the description for this version of Superman sounded promising. But even if it's not 'really them', it's still rooted in our understanding of those characters...or more specifically, what DC would probably like that understanding to be. Batman kills crazy people who have it coming to save the helpless innocents! Superman won't play by your rules, man, and makes the Hard Choices! And I'd put solid money on New God Wonder Woman happily killing a whole lot of people in the next short. I feel like I'm splitting hairs more than usual with this, given the AU nature of it and it just being Timm's little vanity project. But it all leaves a vaguely bad taste in my mouth, though of the sort I'll probably forget about in a month or two (especially if it's good in its own right, and this makes me think there's at least some chance at that), as opposed to something like the Earth One books.

For what it's worth, while I'd still have the same problems with it, I think my initial impression of this would have been much more positive if not for that godawful Batman short leading and setting the tone. A potentially shocking moment with Superman isn't so shocking in a world where we've already seen Batman kill a beaten woman in her underwear with a smile.
    Buh-bye

The feels.

Whatever happen to Clark in this Universe anyway? From what I seen he died when Krypton exploded.

So much better than the best one.

A cynical guy would say animation rarely gives us a complex Superman, and one of the few times it does, it's not really Superman.

The CBR interview with Bruce Timm noted Kal-el wasn't conceived but Bruce Wayne never went to crime alley with his parents that night and Diana might still be on the table.

i dug the episode and thought it was poignant even thought i did wish they had a little more time with Superman trying to convince the kid to stop. I did find the moment where Brainiac consents to his death very eerie.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Boo. How dare he kill a child. This is BS. I am done. Screw DC.

In all serious this was great, gonna pick up the comic tie ins for sure now.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Did that helicopter landed on lois lane and her cameraman? Or it was jus the cameraman flatten like a pancake by the helicopter

By the way, that bomber pilot? Here's what Bruce Timm had to say:

And as for the B-2 pilot -- casting Josh [Keaton] for the role was no accident. I came THIS close to putting the name "JORDAN" on his helmet, but decided it would be too distracting an Easter Egg at such a grim moment. Figured Josh's voice would suffice as a "tell", for the die-hards in the audience.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    By the way, that bomber pilot? Here's what Bruce Timm had to say:
    What interview is this from?