Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: All-Star Section Eight, #1

Garth Ennis and John McCrea's "All-Star Section Eight" #1 is a purposely gross and entertaining attack on the very idea of returning to a long-dormant concept.

Full review here.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Brokeback-pose & non-racist Batman, Luchador Baytor, Hacken The Intellectual... was there nothing missing from this?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    Brokeback-pose & non-racist Batman, Luchador Baytor, Hacken The Intellectual... was there nothing missing from this?
    You're forgetting "too cheap to accept the $3 ATM fee" Batman.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    You're forgetting "too cheap to accept the $3 ATM fee" Batman.
    Yes! Batman here was an onion of goofiness.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    Yes! Batman here was an onion of goofiness.
    It was my favorite take on Batman in years.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was pretty much what you would expect from Ennis/McCrea which is pretty good. The humour is quite crude and I love how they made fun of Batman, overall an enjoyable read.

Although I should be honest here, the ending of Six Pack in Hitman was so strong, emotional and perfect (not to mention that it was one of the few times where Ennis actually showed respect to a superhero) that I think making him regress to this persona is a bit disappointing but eh, as long as it makes me laugh.

This was great. The book picked up some threads from the end of the Hitman series and used them to carry this new story forward. My first thought was, "DC is letting Ennis write Batman?", a character he hasn't shown much respect for in the past, and I don't think that has changed much. There is a lot of meta in this story and the plot is thin, Sixpack never clarifies what the nebulous "threat" is that he is trying to stop.

It's smooth, it's funny and having Ennis and McRea back on a DC book within the Hitman sphere is like having an old friend over for drinks.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

Garth Ennis is therefore up in a miniseries rather expected at DC Comics. The author of classic Vertigo and Hitman makes an appreciable return but he retains all his enthusiasm 90s? Hitman is a small masterpiece in the world of comics and a big heart for many readers. Within the Hitman universe passing Gotham City was introduced in issue # 18 the whimsical Section 8. crazy, alcoholic, in short everything that we can love when you see a team of losers who often during hallucinations improvised savior of the world. But it's even deeper than that and more exciting. The characters are endearing, funny and Garth Ennis during his run dared many things. When we headed Sixpack, an alcoholic in the last stage or the brave Jean-Baton Baton, a caricature of our beautiful country, we understand in which you walk. The run was excellent and the end in apotheosis parodying Whatever Happens to The Man of Tomorow is remembered. Thus the series resumes after the end of the run while Ennis Sixpack is not, so he returned to finish playing the superhero sober and hello worldly life. Unfortunately accidental intake of alcohol will do again become his alter-ego a little crazy. Yes there is a real nostalgic fiber and also a heady side to see a crossed series as was once the Dial H China Mieville left too early. But where Hitman and passages with Section 8 were indeed sometimes gritty but with minimal shade, here we did a bit of subtlety fi. The number starts quickly with a large cable buggery and a small picnic to the month villains that made me smile. Then it takes time to start and jokes and funny situations keep coming but show an author without real ambition other than to parody parody. It places references, revels in hard-pastiche but it's not enough to make a good story. Evidenced by the appearance of Batman that is completely missed, big Guignol and ready to smile but the references are so lacking in subtlety that one wonders if the writer was not Adam Sandler. I'm not saying that no one will be receptive to this greasy humor and too agreed, myself I smiled. I consider just that Garth Ennis showed us much better in his career. Sure the atmosphere is still there, it's fun, it's crazy and it's an introduction that works and will satisfy new players but we want more! I repeat, it's still fun to read and not at all unpleasant so if you want the offset with Batman comics you've probably never seen so go for it. The drawings of John McCrea already officiated at the time are fabulous, modern and also benefiting from what we can do best level today inking and coloring. It was almost like having hands a spiritual successor and the series of 90s and Dial H. What delighted me fully. On this point, the number is successful. Engaging, fun but full of faults related to humor a bit too sophomoric for my taste, this first issue does not convince entirely. The drawings, the atmosphere and offbeat side are successful but you can not help but find some way too clumsy times. Batman parody of itself shows that Garth Ennis could do better and have a bit more imagination than to the stupid and wicked parody. We forgive this once because it splits the pear anyway, but it will be tougher on the action.
    "my feminism will be intersectional, or will it be bullshit." Kelly Sue Deconnick
    "All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all." Grant Morrison

Glad to see it got a good review.

But..doesn't matter a monkeys to me, will buy it anyway. I'm going to wait for series to end, then get digital copies...and then re-read entire series culminating in reading the new material. Looking forward to winter.

I thought this was absolutely hilarious. I knew I was going to grab it because of Garth Ennis but I also knew I HAD to grab it after reading the one-shot preview. Batman was hysterical.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender