Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I wonder why certain people have a problem with Starfire being presented in a more lighthearted manner? It'll be incredibly good to just hit the restart button on certain characters who got brought into the New 52 in such a horrible manner.
    Black Canary
    Starfire
    Harley Quinn
    Batgirl

It just needed to happen and referencing the bad continuity isn't going to bring more people to the title
    Being lighthearted isn't the problem. As Tzitzimine pointed out this book acknowledged Star's history with the Outlaws. Knowing what she did on that book there's no way she would be that naive. How the hell can she not know about currency when she hired a limo service to pick up her crew in RHatO #2?

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13
    Because all that was just empty labels he tried to attach to overcompensate for his shallow, robot like, subservient Starfire that critics were pointing at to take shots at DC
    DC gets a lot of shit thrown at them all the time and for the dumbest of reasons. I sincerely doubt DC would care what critics think of a character when they are apart of a successful book.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I wonder why certain people have a problem with Starfire being presented in a more lighthearted manner?
    I don't have an issue with her being presented in a more lighthearted manner. I love lighthearted books as much as I love ones that are darker toned. What I do have a problem with here is two fold and I feel I have a very valid complaint.

1. For me the writers are concentrating solely on the idea of her being a "fish out of water" to the exclusion of all else and they are doing that by making her extremely naïve about things, which would make sense if she were newly arrived on Earth. The thing is she's not a new arrival and even if you want to discount her time with Jason and Roy because it's a "bad story best left forgotten" there is still her time with Dick to consider which has been brought up in other titles. Do any of you believe for one moment that she wouldn't have learned something of Earth and the basics of getting along in the world from Dick? I don't buy it.

By making her overly naïve I think they are making a mistake that is on par with the one Lobdell made with his initial introduction, likely in an effort to get away from that first image of her. The thing is now they've covered up that image with one that I find just as detrimental to the character. Now she seems to be this naïve little lost alien girl with no wits at all who could be taken advantage of. The thing is I find that to be just as bad of a portrayal as the first one because it again makes her seem less then she is. It doesn't matter that is a more positive spin on the character this issue presented her as being just as one dimensional to me as the first issue of RHatO did to a lot of you. Star is not a nymphomaniac but she also isn't an overly naïve idiot. She has a lot of different traits that make up her personality. I'd have been a good deal happier to see a more balanced take on the character here instead of this over the top naivety.

2. My second problem with this whole thing is that it's merely having the character walk a path that she has walked before. I don't really see this as the character doing anything that is new or even interesting here. It's just the same tired story updated with a different setting and different supporting characters. At the end of the day you could take the story it's telling and drop it back into the 1980s when NTT was all the rage and nothing would be lost here. I don't find this to be even remotely creative or original. It's almost as if they couldn't find anything else to do with her.

Seeley and King took Dick Grayson out of his comfort zone and yet still managed to make him be a balanced character right from the start of their run. He's still the same guy he's always been and they've done it without using a crutch to do it. They are doing something new and interesting with him without compromising the character. That's what I was hoping to see happening here so that's why I'm disappointed in this.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-13-2015 at 07:10 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Because all that was just empty labels he tried to attach to overcompensate for his shallow, robot like, subservient Starfire that critics were pointing at to take shots at DC. Lobdell could throw everything but the kitchen sink to try and make Starfire cool just for the sake of being cool, but at the end of the day non of it makes up for having a no charm and being generally just unlikable. And that is why this Starfire is infinitely better than Lobdell's, this Starfire is at least charming. She doesn't feel like a miserable shell of a character like Lobdell's did. She finally has her smile back.
    Honestly I don't find this naïve version of Starfire to be charming. I find her to be annoying actually and frankly the writers could have done a better job of portraying her as a more balanced character right out of the gate. Right now she seems very one dimensional to me.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I enjoyed it because Starfire is so out of her element. It fills that void in my reading left from the first year of Supergirl issues.

It does seem at odds with her character. I haven't read the Red Hood stuff, but I know it shows that she's been on Earth a while. So, some things, like the nudity, money, etc. would be concepts she'd understand. I'm willing to gloss over it if the rest of the series is this enjoyable.

I do find it interesting that Starfire is drawn a tad differently here than she was in the sneak peek, even though it's the same artist.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I don't really have any problems with them ignoring the Red Hood stuff. It was often used as a talking point for criticizing DC's New 52 universe, so I can see why they're wanting people to forget it.

I didn't read much of RHatO so I'm not sure how different Kory is from that portrayal. As others have said, she may eventually grow out of this stage.

What a beautiful first issue. Took a bit to get used to Kori's new voice, but once I did....comic heaven. And that art is just gorgeous. Love.

Incredible Member

Sorry, ignoring RHATO is the order of the day here.

Sorry RHATO fans (are there any?).

Niffleheim

Totally underwhelmed. I didn't like Kori's naivety and the fish out of water story angle. It wasn't a good start.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

All-New Member

Given the silly moniker I decided to take on, and given I'd only read the first issue of RHatO, I won't make any comparisons between that book's depiction of Starfire and this current version of her. I'll allow this first issue to stand on its own. And on it's own, I must say that this has the same charm that Amanda Conner and Jimmy Pallmiotti manage to bring to nearly everything they touch! Just like they made me fall in love with the New 52's Harley Quinn and the pre-reboot Power Girl (at least I think it was pre-reboot?), I am so, so, SOOOO happy to have the Starfire back from my Teen Titans days! I know that judging a book under the lens of nostalgia is probably in poor taste, but I couldn't be more serious when I say that the animated series' take on Starfire is among my favorites. ...Granted, the only other version I've encountered, is from the Teen Titans/JLA crossover The Technis Imperative, and the subsequent books, but I've only gotten into the first few issues of that post-TTI run so far, so I again can't make a comparison.

Going strictly on a first-impressions track, Starfire in this is simply so emotionally potent! I know I said I wouldn't make comparisons...literally a few sentences ago, but unlike the RHatO run where Starfire was basically just a agency-less sex robot without any sort of an emotional AI, this Starfire actually feels like she has emotion and thus feels so much more alive! And not only does she have emotion, but she experiences a huge range of 'em! Pretty much all of the basics, she hits in this single issue. Anger (and determination) when she's fighting off her captors (yes it's a flashback, it still counts xD), various ponds of joy while she's interacting with Sheriff Stella (heck yeah, she's stella! ... That was stupid and I don't apologize. lol), sadness when she cries over Sheriff Stella's grandmother having died a few years ago, and her constant innocent aloofness! I don't know if this is a reboot or not, but if so, dear GOD I love her aloofness! May it stay a part of her character for all its worth and then some! Also, more Starfire drunkenly starbolting dickheads without a slight care in the world, please! xD

As usual, Pallmiotti manages to make absolutely loveable protagonists. Starfire is a given in his very capable hands, but characters like the sheriff, the grandmother and grandson that Kori ends up staying with, all make for nice people and really make for great folks to play off of Kori's constant adjusting-to-earth-customs shenanigans.

The art, as always under the pen of Amanda Conner, is a joy to the eye! Bright, vibrant, flavorful! Of course, in this case, I am especially biased because STARFIRE IS IN HER TT ARMOR/APPAREL DESIGN! Seriously, anyone far more versed in DC comics than I (I am literally only a year into reading comics, I am very green), was that design a Teen Titans Animated Series original, or was it used before/afterwards before now? I've looked into some of SF's desings, and I don't see anything close to it until this run. Anyway, I just LOVE IT! It has a great balance of sexy and appealing without being smutty like some previous designs are (at least to me, take my words with a big grain of salt).

Now with those positives stated, with the assumption that Red Hood is being ignored during this run, I have a question...

If this is in fact a reboot...how and when did Starfire get to the point of meeting up with Sheriff Stella? When I purchased this comic on Comixology, there was a preview companion book that was included; the answer might be in there, but i haven't looked in it yet. But in case it isn't there...is there a previous comic that leads up to this point? Because as fresh as she seems to be as far as earth customs, axioms, and sayings are concerned (and her lack of sarcasm radar), it just feels like there's something missing. I can easily believe if she just recently landed, and wouldn't even be shocked is that's part fo what led to her meeting with the good Sheriff, but...I dunno. On its own, the issue does leave the reader with a few questions...

But anyway, that small issue aside, I adore this first issue, and look forward for what my favorite fun team at DC has coming up next for our favorite Tameranian!

Also, side note: I REALLY hope we get to see Starfire liberate her home planet before this run is done! I wanna see her and Komand'r(?) reunite again! ^_^
    Last edited by Christian_Empathetic; 06-18-2015 at 08:01 PM.

The answer is indeed in the preview.

I enjoyed this issue! I already saw a badass interpretation of Starfire in RHATO, so I welcome another writer having a different interpretation. I can certainly understand why others would be put off a bit, but me, I don't mind continuity so much.

Plus, I am definitely on board for Emanuela Lupacchino's art alone.

All-New Member

Okay, I've read through the preview comic. So Kori is actively pursuing a new life in this continuity, trying to distance herself from the "Superhero game" as she so put it. This may sound absurd and forgive me if it is, again I'm new to comics let alone DC, but given the fact that Jimmy Palmiotti usually has a good command on characterization...could the aloof behavior of Starfire's be a sort of overcompensation in her efforts to finding her new life? Trying to truly play it like she's totally new?

From what I understand from the reviews I've read on RHatO, Starfire's characterization doesn't grow much beyond the somewhat robotic nature she has in its debut, so...I dunno, maybe they had problems trying to portray a more gradual shift with the drastic personality changes? Maybe the powers that be at DC decided "Okay, so this re-re-re-reinvisioning of Starfire isn't working out. Go ahead and establish that the universe hasn't been rebooted again just to accomidate her and show she's been with the lame hero mercs, but make her funny and quirky. ... No I don't care the change would be as gradual as the climate changes in 10,000 B.C., just f****** do it! ... Oh come on, you and your girlfriend over there oughta be familiar enough with this! She's a talking pair of breasts, the mouthbreathers will buy it just for that! Do you NOT remember your Power Girl run?! Now get to it!"

*Disclaimer, I think Power Girl is totally freaking awesome under Palmiotti's run, and I totally do NOT see her as anything close to just a walking pair of boobs, nor do I think of comic book readers as mouthbreathers, please don't kill me!

Also, with all the people Kori talks with, it suggests she's had a relationship (or at least has associated) with quite a few of the DC Universe's young'ins. Are all of them from the RH & Da Outlaws comic line or from other books in this continuity? If so, which ones? Maybe those other books (if there are any) help bridge this gap...

Also...goddamnit Kori! I know you need a spaceship to actually do it, but don't you think your (then on that slaver ship) newly awakened powers could be of some use on Tameran? I'd think you'd wanna rescue your sister or something... I demand she go kick Citadel ass before this run ends!

These four last years, Starfire has particularly suffered from the pen of Scott Lobdell, reduced - at best - to the rank of extraterrestrial minx, at worst than character adrift with two heroes advantage sexually knowingly. In both cases it was hardly glorious and a huge mess. Starfire is a known character (thank you New Teen Titans and cartoons), but also a woman with the most defined character DC, immediately after Power Girl. Finally it was before. The yard that opens to Conner, Palmiotti and Lupacchino, so make the character to Starfire ... and they come from that number without pay in excess of prudery. Starfire therefore starts as a soft reboot, which is reminiscent to me what Ennis had by taking the Punisher and ignoring royally, apart from a vague phrase, the first Marvel Knights miniseries (in hell). Here is the same, the authors give us the ins and outs of the character, the toolkit to understand ... ignoring it with panache Red Hood & The Outlaws. Clearly, if this is your first comic-book Starfire, you have not missed important and we did some cleaning in the process. And it is justified.

The Starfire and Conner Palmiotti however retains a fickle side, but from a different angle. The alien princess is spontaneous, not really filter and does not have the same social reservations about nudity or flirting. But we are much closer to Storm in the first X-Men Claremont and Cockrum, when it is walking naked in the halls of the academy without think "evil." The Starfire Lobdell was a "biatche" this is an ingenue with the easy kiss but a more obvious scent of innocence. I said in my introduction, it makes me think of a Marvel Longshot equivalent. In there we should not underestimate the work of Emanuela Lupacchino, absolutely perfect to give the series a semi-realistic tone-balance that against the comedy aspect of certain passages. So, a functional Starfire is recovered, which has something to say, to live, which does not pass to the pan but so far does not dress to the neck. This Starfire there can run in the scope of the DC universe and make things, an angle, a personality that does not have colleagues. Starfire This one is fun, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Terrible comic.

I don't know how people can keep criticizing Lobdell's take on Starfire (who had lovingly relationship with Roy, was a freaking spaceship commander and rebel leader and with enough knowledge of earth's society to being able to blend with them) and yet praise this version that comes off like being really dim and sheltered.
    Totally agree. Starfire makes out with a guy three seconds after she meets him. Some new "fresh take" on Kori not being hyper-sexual (who knows how far she would have gone had she not been pulled away).

No super villains. A natural disaster. Men fighting over her. She runs around nekkid and makes out with a stranger. Complete borefest.
    Last edited by Ropeburn; 06-23-2015 at 05:32 AM.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.