Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Cool page from Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #44 (May 1944, Dell Comics). Art by Carl Barks.

Any Horace fans?

It’s too bad that the 90s cartoon he was supposed to be featured in never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Any Horace fans?

It’s too bad that the 90s cartoon he was supposed to be featured in never happened.
    Too bad indeed, but we've seen him since then. Here's a nice pic (painting by Floyd Gottfredson for the story Race for Riches)

Funny thing, you have a horse on a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Too bad indeed, but we've seen him since then. Here's a nice pic (painting by Floyd Gottfredson for the story Race for Riches)

Funny thing, you have a horse on a horse.
    Beautiful! And I thought the same. Horse on a horse.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

More Carl Barks art highlights:

Four Color #223 (April, 1949):

Uncle Scrooge #5 (March, 1954):

Uncle Scrooge, His Life and Times #1 (1981):

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Supposedly the next hardcover reprint will come out June 9th. That's what Amazon says.

JuneScrooge.jpg

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Something that surprised me while reading some DONALD DUCK comics from the 70s

Last night, I read through some old Gold Key DONALD DUCK comics from the late 1970s, which I had last seen when I was a young child, not even old enough to have learned to read yet.

While I will not go so far as to say the stories were sophisticated or aimed at adults, I *was* surprised by how the writing and storytelling would have gone WAY over the head of my childhood self. I don't think I would have had enough reading acumen to understand what was going on with the dialogue until I was at least seven years old (I probably had just turned five when I first saw that comic), and as for the story details (particularly pertaining to Scrooge McDuck's finances), I don't think I would have fully known what was going on until I was a young adult in high school. These comics were aimed at kids, but I think the writing was way above the level of kids' heads.

Also, Donald's voice was so articulate in the comics that I have a hard time imagining him quacking all that dialogue out in the animated features.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 07-27-2021 at 03:20 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Not to mention his lack of pants!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Carl Barks and Friends.

CarlBarks.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Cool page from Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #44 (May 1944, Dell Comics). Art by Carl Barks.

I love the layout on this page. You can tell Barks did layouts for the cartoons!

Incredible Member

I've looked through a couple of those Uncle Scrooge books at B&N and am amazed at the care and detail given to the art considering I just thought of them as funny animal books for small children first learning how to read.

I guess I have that stigma that all Gold Key/Dell and their Tom & Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, and Harvey Comics Caspar and Richie Rich and even Marvel's Star line of comics from the 80's were disposable kiddie junk

The Complete Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck The Deluxe Edition has come up.
    Omar from Near Mint Condition does a video review. Very Positive. About 22 minutes.