Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Scrooge! Donald! Mickey! Disney Comics Appreciation!

When I was a kid I preferred the Looney Tunes, MGM, and Fleischer's black and white Popeye cartoons to the Mouse House's offerings, but as an adult I've discovered that Disney rules the comic pages hands down! The reason: they were where some of the best cartoonists, like Carl Barks, Floyd Gottfredson, and Don Rosa, worked almost exclusively! Thankfully, these days we've got Fantagraphics cranking out hardcover collections of all this good stuff.

I was inspired to create this thread today because I just got a call from my sister on vacation. Apparently at some beach-side comic store she found some Uncle Scrooge comics in a $1 bin and bought them for me. Sent me a picture, too! I looked them up on INDUCKS and whatdoyaknow; two Barks stories and two Marco Rota (besides Barks and Rosa his are the duck stories I find strongest) stories I don't have! How cool is that?
    Last edited by Angilasman; 05-25-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Carl Barks is my favorite Disney artist. Not a big fan of Don Rosa's art but I highly appreciate how he connected the dots between all of the various Barks stories and references. William van Horn is great, really carries on the 10-pager tradition.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 05-25-2014 at 10:07 PM.

You should edit out the word Thread and replace it with Appreciation since the word 'Thread' is redundant and goes against forum rules
    Huh, okay - done. Had no idea.

Everyone should pick up the collections by Fantagraphics. They are awesome books. Amazing stories.
    Last edited by PrankT; 05-25-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Those collections from Fantagraphics are really well done. Their Mickey Mouse volumes have so many great extra features such as essays, comic book covers, even some related modern-day stories in some cases. I always wait until the Fall and get the box sets, they look great with the enlarged Gottfredson art. The general graphic design of the boxes is just plain awesome, and looks classy on a shelf side by side.

I'm honestly a bit jealous that Fanta's Mickey Mouse volumes get so much more extra material than the Duck books.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Huh, okay - done. Had no idea.
    I shouldn't have nit-picked.

I wish we would get new translated European material printed in the U.S. Is there any new imported material in digital form?

Would love a nice hefty volume of some translated Romana Scarpa material. I find that his stories really blend humor and adventure really well, making him deserving of the reputation on 'The Italian Carl Barks.' Especially his longer, older stories.

Do any of you remember the two part story where Scrooge had to re-assemble a sphinx block-by-block across the river. That was a really good story that ran during the Gladstone Era, unfortunately I missed part one but a good story nonetheless.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 05-25-2014 at 10:28 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Something that surprised me while reading some DONALD DUCK comics from the 70s

Last night, I read through some old Gold Key DONALD DUCK comics from the late 1970s, which I had last seen when I was a young child, not even old enough to have learned to read yet.

While I will not go so far as to say the stories were sophisticated or aimed at adults, I *was* surprised by how the writing and storytelling would have gone WAY over the head of my childhood self. I don't think I would have had enough reading acumen to understand what was going on with the dialogue until I was at least seven years old (I probably had just turned five when I first saw that comic), and as for the story details (particularly pertaining to Scrooge McDuck's finances), I don't think I would have fully known what was going on until I was a young adult in high school. These comics were aimed at kids, but I think the writing was way above the level of kids' heads.

Also, Donald's voice was so articulate in the comics that I have a hard time imagining him quacking all that dialogue out in the animated features.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 07-27-2021 at 03:20 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Not to mention his lack of pants!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Carl Barks and Friends.

CarlBarks.jpg